Marlin- Waste disposal

Bruce

Reaction score
On my 03 Marlin there are two ways to dispose of waste, one being pump out. The outher is into the ocean which i know there are laws about. My question is where on the boat does this discharge from? i can not find in the manual. There is a meter that indicates status of the tank and does not change after depressing discharge which leads me to belive the pump is not working even thought I hear it.. Thanks.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If it lays out like my express, there is a hatch under the aft bunk that has three thru hulls. One for the wash down, one for the livewell and one for the head discharge. If you run that pump with that seacock closed, and it sounds like you may have, you risk turning the duckbill valves on the pump inside out. If that happens the pump will run but nothing will come out. It is an awful job to replace those valves, I'm hoping you don't have to.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It depends if Bruce has a Vacu-flush or a maserator pump...Im guessing he has a maserator which im pretty sure doesnt have duckbill valves like the vacu-flush has. check under the pop-up access in the cabin floor next to the head door.

ahill

Reaction score
I have a '98 Sailfish.
Make sure both inlet and outlet seacocks are open.
Make sure the "Y" Valve is positioned to discharge rather than holding tank.
On east coast US, as long as you are 3 miles offshore you can dump.
You are required to have the "Y" Valve locked in holding tank mode when inshore.

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I assume your boat would be the same as my 03 marlin, macerator, no vacu flush. There should be 2 seacocks under the access hatch outside the head door. One should be intake for toilet, the other is discharge. My have valve tags on them from the factory.

My level indicator does not work at all and I have not had the time to investigate why. I am offshore often, so I discharge regularly. Also the tank should be tranluscent enough to see the level to get an idea of level.

Gary M

Reaction score
If you can hear the pump running, it probably is. It's possible that the quantity indicator is just stuck....as mine probably is as well.

When I pump it out offshore, I close the cabin door so that I can hear the pump running. When it starts to "grind" a bit louder, I assume that the tank's empty.......

In the photo below, I think that the grey wire running into the large white cap is the float to the quantity indicator. I will try to unsrew it and see what I find in an attempt to get the indicator working. Since I'm also replacing my dead macerator pump today anyway, this should be easy!

003.jpg

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gary M said:
Since I'm also replacing my dead macerator pump today anyway, this should be easy!

003.jpg

Might be easy but never a pleasant job..double-triple up on rubber gloves and wear cloths you wouldnt mind throwing away.

'05 300 Marlin F250's

Gary M

Reaction score
Gman25 said:
Might be easy but never a pleasant job..double-triple up on rubber gloves and wear cloths you wouldnt mind throwing away.

Actually, I pulled the macerator out last month to clean and repair it and it was not a bad job at all.

002.jpg

That's probably because I stay on top of the cleanliness by flushing it (often) with fresh water, using the blue deodarant stuff, everyone using the home bathroom before we shove off, etc.

I did not get to that macerator job today as I had an Isinglass problem pop up that needed immediate attention........

Bruce

Reaction score
Thanks and do you know where excalty the waste comes out of the boat?

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gary M said:
Gman25 said:

Actually, I pulled the macerator out last month to clean and repair it and it was not a bad job at all.

002.jpg

That's probably because I stay on top of the cleanliness by flushing it (often) with fresh water, using the blue deodarant stuff, everyone using the home bathroom before we shove off, etc.

I did not get to that macerator job today as I had an Isinglass problem pop up that needed immediate attention........

Im glad it went well ,Gary. :goodjob ...I replaced one years ago and im still a bit tramatised from it.. :dance

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bruce said:
Thanks and do you know where excalty the waste comes out of the boat?
It should pump out through one of the foward seacocks under the cabin floor.

IrishWake

Reaction score
Great website, great forum! Just bought a used 300 Marlin and had the exact same question. I believe i haveVacu-Flush as it sounds like a vacuum when I press the floor pedal. To clarify ... 1) Get 3 miles offshore 2) Open in-line valve in floor hatch outside head and 3) press PUMP OUT on the level indicator panel???

Please let me know if I missed anything? Do you have to close the valve after discharging, I'd assume so.

Thanks,

IW

Gary M

Reaction score
Your boat's Manual will have detailed directions on how to empty the tank.

Don't forget that most fuel docks can pump you empty. Open the access hole on your port walkway, stick the nozzle in and have them turn the machine on. When the clear hose shows nothing left passing through, have them shut off the machine and then screw the access port cover closed......

Yes, I always shut the discharge seacock closed after dumping the holding tank.

On mine, I can hear the macerator running and when I hear it more loudly "groaning" I know that it's then empty. If you want to really do the job right, flush a few toilet fulls of fresh water with a little of that blue deodarant in it into the holding tank, then flush it empty again and you're good to go......

My new macerator is a bit quieter than the old one so in order to "hear" it, I need to turn down the stereo, close the cabin up and maybe even shut the engines down.

A word the wise, anytime that you visit your boat, at least hit the discharge button for just one second...... just to keep it limbered up. :goodjob

angela22

Reaction score
There are several industries that use commercial disposal bins to get rid their garbage and waste management like, residential and commercial, is becoming the only way to maintain a clean environment and health.
grand rapids commercial waste removal

huntpeter

Reaction score
Website
www.wastecontrolinternational.com
Bruce said:
On my 03 Marlin there are two ways to dispose of waste, one being pump out. The outher is into the ocean which i know there are laws about. My question is where on the boat does this discharge from? i can not find in the manual. There is a meter that indicates status of the tank and does not change after depressing discharge which leads me to belive the pump is not working even thought I hear it.. Thanks.

Yes, pump can't work here. Other option is better idea.