Marlin with Single Tank

hinmo

Reaction score
Anyone put a single tank in a Marlin? Boatyard I work for put a 220 gal tank in a older 24 Offshore. I would love to remove my dual 150gal tanks and put a larger single in.

Considerations:
fit
Resale value (dont care)
Hose routing
balance

...with 4-strks on her transom, she's alot better on fuel and 200+ gals would be great! Single tank = less hassle?

seasick

Reaction score
Assuming the tanks are in decent shape, I don't see any value in that sort of investment.
There are advantages to two tanks: You can balance your load and ride trim by filling and emptying the two tanks in different sequences.
If you gave a bad gas problem you can reduce the chance of both tanks becoming unusable by gassing up at different docks/times..
To install one larger tank may require alterations to the stringer between the existing two tanks. You would be obliged to remove the second fill and vent so that none pumps gas into the abandoned fill. Same goes for the tank selection plumbing

Your point about your needs for 200 gal capacity may be true but who says you have to completely fill the existing tanks?
Maybe I missed something in the proposed conversion

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm with seasick on this. I see no value of going to a single tank. You're losing 100gal and you state having 200 gallons would be great, wouldn't 300 existing be better than 200? Who says you have to fill up to 300 if you're seeing the money side of it? Run100 in each tank, you have your 200. What kind of hassle is a double tank over a single? Yeah, it hurts a little having to replace both tanks, I'm going through that now, but I like the flexibility it gives me on how much fuel I want to carry.

Ozz043

Reaction score
I agree, two tanks are better than one ...

hinmo

Reaction score
1700$ for a single 220gal , 150gals about 2X that

thats the prime incentive