Mice !

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Getting a very late start for the season and getting things cleaned up after storage. Also moving towards updating the electronics. Removing the external gps antenna and it’s five miles of coax cable all zip tied up and jammed in behind panels, wires connected to whatever they were before the boat became mine. Then there’s the nests :mad:
I left a roll of toilet paper and paper towel in the cabin which was reduced to confetti.
Fortunately I have an inspection camera and was able to look into every nook and cranny on the boat. In doing so found 3 big nests. It’s probably a good thing they had the paper to shred for their nests or they might have destroyed the cushions instead.
Also everything had a greasy sticky feel to it that was more than likely urine that accompanied the droppings that were everywhere. :(
Ended up scrubbing it throughout top to bottom.
No mice to be found though, guess they had enough sense to leave the scene of the crime before they got caught.
Next winter storage will see a big compliment of glue traps placed everywhere ;)

F3A0688A-1B0C-4F52-92F1-BBC9E3993B24.jpeg
F9651C73-D301-44E0-82D5-5A0D9F58569E.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: leeccoll

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
see if you can rent a cat for the winter
I had to wash my cover for the top that lays stored in front of the wIndshield because it was covered in cat hair !
My neighbors big Tom cat goes up under the boat cover and sleeps on it.
The mice aren’t stupid they were running around in the cabin.
I keep that locked to keep raccoons and possums out.
Keeps the cat out too.
I checked the wiring and nothing seems to have been chewed but boy did they leave a mess.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’ll also leave paper towels in the cabin as sacrificial nest material so if they do get in they don’t shred something else. Also it’ll be a clue to their presence if I see it torn up.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
A neighbors cat got itself into my locked cabin a couple weeks ago at the marina. I had about 5 frantic calls and was on the way to the marina when the cat figured out how to get itself out. Still don’t know exactly how it did it, some serious gymnastics to squeeze through a gap.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
A neighbors cat got itself into my locked cabin a couple weeks ago at the marina. I had about 5 frantic calls and was on the way to the marina when the cat figured out how to get itself out. Still don’t know exactly how it did it, some serious gymnastics to squeeze through a gap.

That’s a problem that needs to be solved because it’s going to happen again.

Sailfish

Reaction score
A lot of new car wiring features environmentaly friendly Soy insulation because it is renewable and not made from fossill fuels. It is also a food stuff for rodents. Dealers are seeing an influx of cars with chewed up wires as a result.

• Wow
Reactions: Lt.Mike

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
That’s a problem that needs to be solved because it’s going to happen again.
I think there’s a little play in the door that the wind probably rattles and maybe that got it curious

1628043629008.jpeg

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Drilled holes in the door ?
To prevent mold/mildew ?
Yes that’s why I assumed the prior owner did it. In the Bay Area we don’t get too much bad weather 10 months of the year, aside from the wind, but there is daily morning moisture. Winter storms sometimes get gnarly but it still has a hardtop too.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Yes that’s why I assumed the prior owner did it. In the Bay Area we don’t get too much bad weather 10 months of the year, aside from the wind, but there is daily morning moisture. Winter storms sometimes get gnarly but it still has a hardtop too.
Wish mine had the hardtop at times. Guess there’s still enough cabin door there to hold back a rush of water. I always close and lock my cabin when entering our inlets on rough days with the idea that if I catch a wave over the stern it’ll confine it to the back deck. I’ve gotten water over the transom but thankfully no big ones yet.

Reactions: PointedRose

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Look closely to see if there is access to the cabin area from under the gunnels. I seem to remember 25 or 30 years ago, of a critter getting into the cabin on either an Overnighter or Explorer, and there was a actually forward access from this area. Check both sides. I put a heavy mesh wire screen up in there, forward under the gunnels, probably alongside of the helm seats.

You could push a wire snake up there and twist it around, to see where it goes. Maybe the inspection camera would show something.

Reactions: PointedRose

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Look closely to see if there is access to the cabin area from under the gunnels. I seem to remember 25 or 30 years ago, of a critter getting into the cabin on either an Overnighter or Explorer, and there was a actually forward access from this area. Check both sides. I put a heavy mesh wire screen up in there, forward under the gunnels, probably alongside of the helm seats.

You could push a wire snake up there and twist it around, to see where it goes. Maybe the inspection camera would show something.
Thanks for the tip

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I've had good luck using "Fresh Cab" in my garage and classic car to keep the critters away. Never needed it on my boat but thinking maybe I should start when I have it on the hard, just in case. My parents and a lot of their friends use it for off-season storage of their RVs and 5th wheels with pretty good results. Available from Amazon and has a fairly benign odor that apparently the little guys don't like. Drop a new pack every couple months and it could do a lot towards keeping them off your boat.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I've had good luck using "Fresh Cab" in my garage and classic car to keep the critters away. Never needed it on my boat but thinking maybe I should start when I have it on the hard, just in case. My parents and a lot of their friends use it for off-season storage of their RVs and 5th wheels with pretty good results. Available from Amazon and has a fairly benign odor that apparently the little guys don't like. Drop a new pack every couple months and it could do a lot towards keeping them off your boat.
Thank you for the tip !