multi color led light strip what to use?

lime4x4

Reaction score
I need to replace the led strip lighting on my boat. I used the strips under the gunwall to light up the deck. The cheap china lights only lasted 1.5 years. So i'm looking to replace the red led lighting with led light strip that can do multiple colors. The kits i've found plug into 120 volts looking for 12 volt kits

Koz54

Reaction score
I used Lumitec Lighting Rail 2 lights. I installed them on my Four Winns about 5 years ago. I liked them so much when I bought the Seafarer about two years ago I removed them from the Four Winns and installed them under the gunnels in the Grady. I liked them so much I bought another pair for the cockpit area. They light up the entire deck and are dimmable. The ones I bought are white and blue, both colors dimmable. Looks like the newer versions only dim while white. They also are available in white/red. A little pricey but great lights and are worth it!

http://lumiteclighting.com/product/rail2-utility-light/

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/lumitec-lighting--rail2-interior-led-lights--P015949969

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I thought that LED's, by nature, run off of 12V DC? If that's correct, then there is probably a transformer somewhere in the 120V line to change the voltage back to 12V DC. Which would mean that you could cut the transformer out and then you're good to go with 12V DC power. But I'm not 100% sure on that, so please double check.

lime4x4

Reaction score
Your correct u can just cut the transformer out of the setup. I did find a set that was designed for 12 volts only. It was 25 bucks for the kit so we will c how they perform and last. I've spent 2 bucks on led strips that last for years and i've spent several hundrend for led spot lights that don't even last 4 months and there full of moisture again.