My 2 cents on the NY Boat Show

seasick

Reaction score
As I usually do, I attended the NY Boat Show recently on opening day. I go early to avoid the 'crowds and strollers'.

Maybe I am getting indifferent but I just didn't feel the excitement that I remember at previous shows. It also seemed that there were fewer models and manufacturers. Perhaps I just missed them in my wanderings.
If there was one theme, it was More and Bigger outboards! ; 3,4 and more outboards. Most of the big names seem to be making longer hulls, especially in CC and DC models.

I did have a nice relaxed chat with one of the Grady distributors from Long Island. It was very informative and gave me a good idea of how the boating industry is doing; better but not at historic volumes( at least here in the NY area) and also what the trends in new modes are.

I did follow my general rules of engagement for the boat show: I didn't go on any boat that I will never ever be able to afford even in my dreams. I did check out a few that I could in theory afford but that would also result in divorce proceedings.
I was on one very nice express type when I got a text message from my wife that said, DON'T BUY ANYTHING....

On the plus side, the sales people were not overly pushy and for the most part asked if you needed help and if not, left you alone. The new 13 and 16 foot Whaler Super Sports are very nice and would be a great fit for someone looking for a boat in that size class'

I didn't see the tug like boats like the Ranger. Did I pass it by? There weren't a lot of pontoon models to lounge on either. Of course there were the snake oil salesman but either there were fewer this year or they weren't as loud and aggressive as past years.

The beer was good but the jalapeno cheddar soft pretzel nearly killed me. It sat like a sunken barge in my gut:)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Thanks. The New England show starts in a week or so. Plan to go and smell some fiberglass. Grady will have an extensive DC line up and then some CCs, one small walkaround and hopefully some expresses. Looking forward to it.

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks. The New England show starts in a week or so. Plan to go and smell some fiberglass. Grady will have an extensive DC line up and then some CCs, one small walkaround and hopefully some expresses. Looking forward to it.
I have to admit, I kinda fell for the Freedom 275. It looks like a fun boat and a good fishing platform. The prices ratchets up in a hurry when you add options. That said, my wife really prefers to have a cabin with a head you can stand up in.
Enjoy the show.I expect a full report!

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin

I believe we'll see a couple of the new Yam 425s hanging off the back of a Grady. Also, I wonder if the Canyon 45 that Cataumet has will be there? Heck, it might have already sold........

Jargon

Reaction score
I’ll be attending the NJ show in 2 weeks with the wifeboss. That’s step 1 of the 12 step process of buying a boat without getting divorced.

I hope there are lots of Grady’s!

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
"That said, my wife really prefers to have a cabin with a head you can stand up in."

Funny how we can hope to find that in a 30 foot boat, but Boeing can't squeeze one into a 737.

Reactions: Bread

Jargon

Reaction score
I’ll be attending the NJ show in 2 weeks with the wifeboss. That’s step 1 of the 12 step process of buying a boat without getting divorced.

I hope there are lots of Grady’s!

Leading up to this weekend’s boat show, the wifeboss started pushing back at me a bit. ‘I don’t really want to go.’ ‘But you need to see what our choices are.’ ‘We don’t really need a boat.’ ‘Nobody NEEDS a boat, unless your livelihood depends on it, but then why did we buy a retirement house on the edge of two massive sounds?’ ‘What EXACTLY do you want to accomplish by dragging me there?’ ‘I’d like your opinion on two styles of Grady White boats, and then we can go look at some pontoon boats too. After that, we can go get a pastrami sandwich for lunch (at a pretty good NY style deli.)’ SOLD ! to the guy that takes his wife to lunch on a Saturday!

The Edison NJ Boat Show was the first of any I’ve attended, no auto or motorcycle shows in my past, so my mission was to go with the singular purpose of bringing along the wifeboss to the boating lifestyle, and not so much of window shopping and enjoyment of such. We were in and out within an hour.

Long story short, no expresses there, just freedoms and center console fishing boats. So we’re sitting on the 275 Freedom and I ask the salesman to please explain to the wifeboss how the SeaV2 hull is designed for safety and just run through that info for us. All she heard was stability, comfort, and more confidence in most conditions that can arise in large sounds. SOLD ! to the experienced salesman who directed his attention to the one who makes the decisions! Hahaha!

In private conversations, as we checked out the adjacent 255 and 225(?), I explained how she could be relaxing up front with friends drinking margaritas, while not having to worry about me screwing up the ride because the boat is ‘designed for safety.’ Once I made my point, I suggested we move along and find the pontoons.

Hopping onboard an $85,000 Bennington pontoon, I asked the saleswoman (very nice and relaxed woman) what kind of chop the boat could handle. ‘Two to three feet before it’s gets a little interesting.’ My wife found that comment less than inspiring.

As we exited the building, I asked her what she thought...’I liked how safe the Grady was and that we could have 10 people onboard a sunset cruise.’

I had to shove a cigarette on my mouth so she wouldn’t see me smiling...

I might have skipped a few steps in the 12 step process. I was pleased.

Reactions: Heyspike

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'll be checking out the Atlantic City Boat Show. Already have the boat I want but I like perusing the booths...
looking at motors , especially want to see how new lightweight 225 Merc 4 strokes compare to Suzuki200s in price. Gotta ship or get off the pot on that....

Jargon

Reaction score
I'll be checking out the Atlantic City Boat Show. Already have the boat I want but I like perusing the booths...
looking at motors , especially want to see how new lightweight 225 Merc 4 strokes compare to Suzuki200s in price. Gotta ship or get off the pot on that....

Will there be some windlass displays/manufacturers there for you to check out?

Gianni

Reaction score
I found actually the grady dealer to not a give a shit about you or your questions if you werent literally buying a boat that day. i expressed how im annoyed that there isnt a mid size boat like the sailfish anymore, not like my opinion matters but who knows maybe some insight. I dont have the means to buy a "new" or newer used boat yet but i hope to god i get my 225 ox 66 working this year. past years have been shitty but neither can i afford new motors.

AND YES: OUTBOARDS OUTBOARDS AND MORE OUTBOARDS AT THE SHOW.

Not to mention, it only took up half of the usual space, where it used to continue over to the other side