My latest update

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hey all,

So, if you are following along....I had a weird feeling about the water pumps so I took them apart and Sssoooooo glad I did. Seems that when my buddy was helping me, he did not seat the housing so well. I turned the shaft as he pushed down the housing, then I tightened the bolts on one while he did the other.

See the picture below. No idea what the hell happened, but the o-ring on the housing was crimped between the lower unit and the housing and the key was missing off the shaft and the impeller was destroyed. Again, no idea how the hell it happened as I greased it up well, slid it on myself to test it and then off so I could lift the shaft as I turned. That impeller was brand new and destroyed. Luckily, I had an extra one.

I put them both back together and verified they were sealed correctly this time.

got the new brake lines on the trailer installed and bled. Will put the engines back together tonight or tomorrow and then hook them up to a hose to test tonight or tomorrow, so cross your fingers.

So glad I followed back and went with my gut feeling something was not right heh.

Russ

Attachments

• B2D9C36B-5E69-4E9A-A4DD-20DDB86ED858.jpeg
    B2D9C36B-5E69-4E9A-A4DD-20DDB86ED858.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 35

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It almost looks the the impeller was on backwards and spun the wrong direction? Good catch!

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well, I thought it spun backwards till I saw two blades pointing different ways.

Hrm, I think the shaft turns clockwise. The previous impellers show clockwise so not sure how the hell it got jacked. I also know it was crushed on one blade so, whatever it was, glad I looked again.

r

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I hear ya, and that would make sense....thing is, I had not installed them back on the engines, so I had not turned the shaft, except to rotate it so as to get the housing lowered, which he pushed while I rotated the shaft.

The lower units sat in my shop since then. I just had a strange feeling something had notseated right heh...so took them back apart.

Anyway, we clearly did that one wrong or else I would not have taken it back apart. Just weird it was destroyed before I ever hooked it back up heh...

R

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I hear ya, and that would make sense....thing is, I had not installed them back on the engines, so I had not turned the shaft, except to rotate it so as to get the housing lowered, which he pushed while I rotated the shaft.

The lower units sat in my shop since then. I just had a strange feeling something had notseated right heh...so took them back apart.

Anyway, we clearly did that one wrong or else I would not have taken it back apart. Just weird it was destroyed before I ever hooked it back up heh...

R
I am doing the impeller for first time since I bought the boat (year and a half ago, lower unit was brand new when I bought the boat), also first time on a yammi.
Can anyone give instructions? My manual is less then clear.
Do you change all the orings or just the impeller and gasket? Base plate if needed?
Assuming drop LU (with gear in neutral) remove water pump housing, replace impeller and gasket (maybe orings and base plate, or pump housing if neeeded), soap on the impeller, spin shaft clockwise as you seat the pump housing. Any grease anywhere (shift shaft or anywhere else)?
Do you guys remove propeller also book said to do so (seemed unnecessary to me but wasnt sure, already removed and greased at end of the season) - will prob remove to keep it safe.
When putting LU back on will I need to check and make sure it is still in neutral (prop spins freely instead of ratcheting as it does in gear)?
Thanks russ- this post will help me to.not make same mistake.

Last edited:

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Great intuition - even better for listening to it at this late stage! Must be getting near splash time!

Rob