My retractable aft Bimini + photos!

Gary M

Reaction score
When we bought our 1994 Sailfish 6 years ago it already had a retractable aft Bimini that laid across the top of the aft end of the hardtop. It was GREAT! Tons of shade for cruising/running and out of the way for fishing!

When we bought the 2001 Marlin two years ago it had a fixed aft Bimini as the boat was a party barge only. We had to modify it to retract and the initial modification was unsatisfactory. So, I contracted with a canvas company here in Lauderdale to re-do the whole thing since it needed new canvas as well.

The original mod placed the frame slides right in between the two rod holders on the gunnels. When retracted, this blocked the aft rod holders, so step one on the new mod was to slightly bend/crown the overall frame to place them in the new slide tracks that were to be installed inboard of the rod holders. Here's the guys adjusting and measuring out the frame.

Boat003.jpg

Here's the newly laid slide tracks.

Boat001.jpg

To attach the canvas to the aft end of the hardtop, they installed a slide track there as well. This is a plastic one that I had them replace with an aluminum one. Two sections of canvas slide in there with long zippers on the aft ends. The main canvas then zippers onto this short flap to easily allow me to take the entire Bimini, frame, canvas an all, zip it into a canvas boot and stow it away in the garage if I so chose (think--hurricane!).

Boat002.jpg

Once it was all fitted, some final adjustments were made on the two canvas straps that clip onto hooks on the gunnels right where they start to bend down beyond the transom. Here's the slide track and frame location when it's fully up.

Abaco2007035.jpg

I have to mention one thing. This frame was never designed to retract. I was forced to decide to try and modify this frame or start from sctrach. I chose to live with the fact that when retracted, it does block the aft rod holders somewhat. Designed from scratch, the frame would have to slide farther forward to have been clear of these rodholders. This was a $1,500 job as it was and since we don't do a whole lot of trolling, I have learned to live with it. You can see here that my buddy David was not bothered by this!

Abaco2007011.jpg

Here, on a really hot day in the Abacos, you can see that there is no breeze, so we have learned to leave the Bimini up, but to unhook the aft straps and tie them off and then just fish around the frame in order to enjoy the shade. A true compromise, but no complaints from anyone on a hot breeze-less day! This rod broke about 2 minutes later with no fish to show for it by the way! That's another buddy named Dave......

Abaco2007039-1.jpg

Here is it fully deployed, at the dock at Treasure Cay, Abacos last summer. Another excellent benefit to having it up at the dock is that the bolsters and other cushions, etc, take a far less beating from the sun. It's about 8 feet off the cockpit deck, so it makes the cockpit like a nice patio!

Abaco2007031.jpg

And here's two more shots of why everyone loves this thing! Here's my good buddy Kevin taking his normal snooze on the way over to Abaco last summer, an 8 hour run!

Abaco2007001.jpg

And finally, if you have to endure an 8 hour, non-stop run home from the Bahamas in August, it's sure nice to be in the shade with a nice breeze! Notice the two canvas straps that keep it all taut........

Abaco2007071.jpg

And finally, here she is all ready to shove off for a day of trolling off Lauderdale. Bimini retracted and tied down and gunnel mounted Lee 18 footers ready to slip under several bridges to get outside.

LocalFish016.jpg

My suggestions would be if you end up doing this are:

Hire a company that has done these before.

Make sure that they understand that the frame must slide a few inches forward of the forward rod holders.

You'll want it only as far aft as about the transom. Much farther aft and you'll capture a lot of engine noise. Mine is about 6-8" too far aft.

We LOVE this addition and will never have another boat without one!

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a bimini on my 2005 Marlin that we got in January. We did not need to use the top until last weekend when my sister and her kids were in town and the wind was blowing out of the Southwest and it was low humidity (Biscayne Bay). I put up the bimini top and ran with it open, it usually sits folded up, boot on resting on the rocket launchers (with bungee cord on both sides tied to the stainless of the hard top -- I learned that one the hard way when it fell back once). No problmes while under way with waggle and windage. When we got to South Eliot Key and anchored I started the BBQ, under the bimini top. It was fantastic. The shade was amazing. The shaded cockpit on the Marlin adds a whole new dimension to the boat.

Gary M

Reaction score
Yeah, we really feel like this has given us an "outdoor patio" addition to the boat's other attributes. For any really serious trolling, the top can be removed pretty easily.

We did a raft up with a buddy and his family last Fall. Within just a few minutes, the 4 of them moved over from their 32 Luhrs Open to enjoy our "patio"!

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Gary, do you ever waterproof or apply any sort of coating that would waterproof or water repel the Bimini. I was thinking about that as summer is on us and ways to keep the water from seeping through the canvas into the cockpit. thanks.

gregsnow

Reaction score
Website
www.NauticalHeadquarters.com
Is there anything similar out there that you've seen done to a c.c. that would tie in with a ttop and give that much sun protection for family days??

Gary M

Reaction score
Neither of my aft Biminis has ever been treated and neither leaked. Both were "sunbrella" canvas so it may be waterproofed already......

For CCs, I've only ever seen retractable forward Biminis to give the family some shade. Rumor has it that if it's in the up position and not very tall, they can obstuct your vision while underway. You might want to post that question on The Hull Truth or other boating Forums. Also, contact a few marine canvas companies and see what they say....

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Last weekend we were out baking in the South Florida sun. For anyone out on Saturday, there was a very very nasty storm that came through with 40 mph winds and white water caused by the rain. Any way, I had not put my bimini top up before leaving Eliott Key as the storm did not appear before we left. When the storm came upon us it was to late to get it closed up. I lost a screw on the c cap and one of the struts came loose. I was able to secure it with the hook end of a bungee cord. The point being that you should check the joints in the bimini to make sure the screws are all tight (and maybe even unscrew them and rescrew them in with lock tight). I guess all the flexing and moving worked one loose. I checked all mine and found another loose one. I replaced the lost one and got an extra at West Marine for .50 (stainless of course).

Gary M

Reaction score
el jefe said:
The point being that you should check the joints in the bimini to make sure the screws are all tight (and maybe even unscrew them and rescrew them in with lock tight).

Great suggestion!

One thing that I have to constantly keep my eye on is the quick release pins with the round pull-ring on it. These pins keep the whole frame attached to both sides of the slider on each track down on the gunnel. I probably need to replace those pins with new ones.....

mdhaley

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Retractable Aft Bimini

I am really interested in the name of the company that made your Retractable Aft Bimini, could you please respond with the name of the company. We live in Maryland and if we can't use your company maybe they would be able to suggest someone in our area. Thanks
mdhaley

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Google Custom Bimini Maryland.. I came up with a couple.
Later next week I can ask a couple of the custom boat builders around here who can do this.. Where in MD are you

B-Faithful

Reaction score
flyboy911 said:
Shade is good!

Agreed! I think that is why pilothouse boats are on the rise. I spoke with the owner of Judge Yachts who said they are having a record year despited the down market....

27CHESAPEAKE1.jpg

Of course I admire a good grady too! :D