need advice for potential kicker motor on Seafarer 228G

Timotheius

Reaction score
I have a 228G Seafarer and was considering adding a kicker motor for some extra security. My motor is a 200hp yamaha 2 stroke (1994 w/ 900 hours). It is running good now, but broke down on me last summer when I was 13 miles offshore. Towboat saved the day (yes, I had the insurance) but I would prefer to have a backup in case that ever happens again.

I was wondering if anyone else has experience with a kicker set up on a similar boat. Will a 9.9 be able to push me at around 6 or 7 mph? What type of bracket should I use to attach it? Can a kicker remain attached to my boat while I trailer it long distances? And finally.....is this a really bad idea that will end up doing more damage than good?

Thanks.

Amigo

Reaction score
Yes, a 9.9 HP will push you along at that speed. I use a 9.9 on a 25 ft. Sailfish and 6 - 7 would be top end.

You can mount it on a set-back bracket that does not move and use the tilt to bring the prop out of the water. Or, you can get a lift. A lift should be heavey duty and have a travel of 14 inches. Check out Garelick lifts.

Trailing is a potential problem for kicker motors on lifts and brackets. To much bouncing can weaken the lift or break the motors mounting bracket. I guess it would depend on how many miles you trailer.

leek

Reaction score
I have Tournament 225 with 9.9 kicker mounted on bracket from dealer that looks like a 8" diameter tube with a plate on the end. It moves the boat at 5-6 mph, very good to troll with. No problem with trailering. Not as easy to start and keep running as 250 but still good engine

HMBJack

Reaction score
On my 228, I use a High Thrust Yamaha T8 long shaft with electric start and power trim. It's mounted on the same mount described above - very strong and looks great as it's color coded to match GW's bone white.

Pushes me at 3-5 knots at WOT. Will troll all day at 3 knots.
So agreeably it's slower than a 9.9 hp by a knot or two but I love this engine. Whatever engine you get, I suggest you get one with electric start and trim. The power trim keeps the engine from bouncing on your transom mount (very important not to allow this to happen for your transom's sake). Also, the electric start is a very nice luxury. I think I read that the new Yamaha 9.9's have these features now (previously, they were only available on the T8's).

Good luck!

Timotheius

Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far. Do you guys have a link to the mounts that were described above? I would like to see them, and see where I might get one.

Yes, I would still call the towboat anyway, but it is nice not to be completely helpless. Also, there are several places I fish where towboat US has no coverage....and what if I breakdown 35 miles offshore and the towboat only covers out to 30?

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
croixboy said:
If I was 13 miles offshore and my motor took a crap, I would be calling TowBoat US regardless if I had a kicker or not.

My buddy and I brooke down is his wellcraft, had no forward gear!, No tow insurance we drove the boat back in reverse, 11 miles. even at a snails pace theBilge pump died after 5 miles of water splashing over the transom to pump out. Needles to say, we got wet....

After that exp, I would rather have a kicker just in case...... oh and tow insurance is a m-u-s-t..... :shock:

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
get a solid mount, rust me on this one!

also get power trim and tilt

t8, because no more 9.9, only 15 now

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
croixboy said:
If I was 13 miles offshore and my motor took a crap, I would be calling TowBoat US regardless if I had a kicker or not.

Me too...!!

uncljohn

Reaction score
I ended up removing my kicker and selling it. This was about a year after I got the boat (used). First of all, the bracket backing bolts were pulled into the core of the transom by all the bouncing, letting water get in. And while it CAN push you slowly, it won't do so very well if there's any cross wind or any chop. So its effectiveness for trolling was very limited. I think I used it once to troll on a flat calm day. And if you're offshore, the offshore currents will drag you faster than the kicker. So you might be pointed due west, but you'd actually be moving more laterally to the shore.

If you're putzing around in a lake, it'd probably be great. Offshore, forget about it.

bc282

Reaction score
i've heard of no news of the T9.9 (hi thrust) engine being discontinued and in fact know that that particular model was re-worked just a year or two ago. i also checked the web and it's still listed in yami's line-up.

i've had the T9.9 (2003 vintage) on a 22' WA and currently have a T8 (2007) on a 20' river jet boat. Both were tiller control with 25" legs and electric starts. The T8 has the power tilt. Both are on Garelick HD tilt brackets which are OK. A fixed bracket is the best option (jet boat already had braket installed so i used it). couple it with a new T9.9 XL leg with power tilt and electric start and you have a winner. if you can also go full remote with the kicker and tie the kicker steering in with the main you'll have a wickedly sweet set-up 8)

ps. stay far away from Fulton HD tilt bracket, mine broke in less than one season, was replaced with Garelick which fared better but again fixed is best.

bc282

Reaction score
check out www.adventuremarine.net for some pre-fab'd fixed brackets.

you could also get a custom alum bracket made to suit your particular transom using plate and either heavy round or square stock and perhaps have it angled toward the main engine too and get it either anodized or powder coated to boot.

dwain

Reaction score
Website
www.bodkinrealty.com
I remember Jack Gross in California sent me details and photos on exactly what you are looking for. It is the best looking setup that I have seen. I can send photos to someone who wants to post, as I do not know how to? Dwain