Need help: Fisher Panda 4200 Generator

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
While offshore this weekend, I went to fire up the generator and thinking I was opening the raw water intake, I accidentally closed it and generator ran without water for a minute before I realized it. Turned off immediately. When I went to restart it, it would not start or run (just clicking sound). Then all lights went off at the fuse box. Nothing comes on now. Doesn't seem like the generator is getting any power. We checked all the fuses we could find including visible one on front of generator. Very strange and it seems like we are missing something. Hopefully we didn't damage the generator. We have a 2006 330 Express. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, David

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Does anyone know if there is a battery switch or fuse behind the main battery switch panel for boat and engine? I'm thinking this could be the issue but it will be a pain to pull it out to check.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
take a look at your GW manual. for my year the starboard battery switch handles the genset. also look thru the fp manual for troubleshooting, it's pretty thorough.

clicking in general usually indicates low battery. do check the genset connections just to be sure. on my year the ground is on the port battery bank. you did turn it off via the panel and not the battery switch i hope.

you can also email the FP guys. they are very helpful and may have a simple answer. good luck, ron

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks. I'm wondering if starter fried and that is preventing the battery connection. Maybe something else. They batter is on the onboard charging system and looks to be fine.

fischer

Reaction score
Your generator has a closed cooling system, with a raw water heat exchanger. Grady changed over to this system in 2005, if I'm not mistaken. You should be able to run it for several minutes without damaging it; in fact, it will just shut itself down when it reaches the threshold temp. Don't ask how I know...

The starting problem is probably only a coincidence and not associated with what you did. I hope I'm right! You should be able to trace the battery cable from the generator to the correct battery.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks. I checked all connections to the battery and tightened them and still no power to the generator or panel. I'm guessing it must be something on the generator! I did get that hot exhaust light on right side just inside start button prior to engine stopping. I do think we ran it with sea cock open few. Invites prior. Will call a fischer in the morning. There is only a 30 amp fuse from generator to battery from what I can tell. We changed it out for the sake of it.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Does anyone know if there is a fuse on the back of the generator remote panel? I was told there may be a small round reset or push button. I didn't notice it when I pulled the panel Saturday. I have called Fischer Panda and Grady for assistance.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Re: Need help: Fisher Panda 4200 Generator (update)

There is 100 AMP ANL fuse behind the engines on and off switches by batteries. I had to pull the panel to see the fuse. No one could tell be where it was. Replaced the fuse and tried the start generator and blew the fuse again. Heard some clicking before fuse tripped. Did some diagnostic work and pulled the starter. Had it checked and it had serious issues so ordered a new one. So in the end, starter was bad. Fischer Panda guy told me that in Grady whites sometimes water drips from fish box on soundproof and can cause starter to fail. Said those sound boxes are not waterproof. Not sure if this is what happen but Fischer panda suggested buying the waterproof cover that goes over the shield. I plan to go ahead and do it. Will update once we get the new starter installed. Thanks.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Waterproof cover eh? Thanks for the followup information. Looks like I'd better order one too.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Re: Need help: Fisher Panda 4200 Generator (Fixed)

Our problem with the generator blowing the 100 amp fuse behind the engine panel is fixed. Turned out to be a bad starter selenoid. We replaced it and it is running fine now. One thing to note is that there are 3 bolts holding the starter - one is longer than the other. Put the long one in the wrong hole and it will pin the flywheel down and not start. Yes we made that mistake - even though we were being careful. 100 amp ANL fuse is behind the engine battery panel lower left corner.