Need Help With Bimini Enclosure

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Hello looking for someone who knows the correct sequence for installing the front and side curtains on a bimini top enclosure. I have installed in my yard but see it might be very difficult while in the water.

Attachments

• IMG_20181121_153100197.jpg
    IMG_20181121_153100197.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22

Fishtales

Reaction score
Not familiar with your model enclosure but here is some general advice FWIW.
I usually wait for a good day. You want the sun to work the material and make it easier to work with. I start with the pieces in the front over the windshield first, fully zip, snap in place and Velcro down. I install the two side pieces with the smile rollup sections again zipping, snapping into place and Velcro down. I then install the three aft pieces. I work the first aft side pieces all the way over into position and then slide it further out beyond the frame (the piece hangs a bit to the starboard side to give me more room to work with when installing the middle piece. I install the second aft side piece in the rail next. I install the middle aft piece working it toward the first aft side pieces sliding it over as far as I can. Then install and slide the other side (hanging a bit outside the frame) of the middle toward the second aft side piece. Don't zip the aft pieces yet. The last two pieces that I put in are the corner pieces. These have the smallest area that sits in the slide tubes. Once installed, zip to the two side pieces (smile rollups) and then the aft side pieces. At this point the last one to zip is the middle to the two aft side pieces. Once you do it a couple of times, it goes quick and easy.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
I just have the full front and two side curtains, no aft. Where I have a problem is installing the side curtains, should I zipper them first or snap them in place first. They are quite tight and are easier to zipper first but the snaps are harder to get to.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I always zip my canvas pieces from the top first and then work the snaps. For the side cockpit panels, start at the front snaps and work my way back. Sometimes you have to reach under the unsnapped portion of the piece and/or around the bimini frame to get this done. The more you play with your enclosure you eventually will develop a system to get it done.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
This would help. The red end is for pulling on the button. Grady used to sell something similar that also had a hook to pull zippers.

ipo_topsnapper.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
^^^ good tool for the boat. You may be able to chisel a white poly one from your dealer if you try hard.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That white plastic tool used to - and maybe still does - come with new boats. If your dealer doesn't want to part with one, Grady might if you call them.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Does the white plastic tool work for the "Lift the Dot" snaps? I may purchase the other one for the few button snaps I have.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Does the white plastic tool work for the "Lift the Dot" snaps? I may purchase the other one for the few button snaps I have.

No, don't think so. If you are talking mostly about the snaps and dots that connect the canvas to the windshield frame, they should slide left/right a little if to make easier to put up. You may have to gently persuade them.

seasick

Reaction score
Depending on how tight the original fitting of snaps was, the canvas can be a bear to get on after being in storage and/or when cold. Both ' canvas' and clear plastic shrink. Sometimes you have to leave snaps undone until the sun (hopefully) warms the materials up a bit. The snap tools are handy though. Saves your fingers:)

The windshield clips do slide but that only helps with lateral alignment for the most part. I also prefer to zipper before snapping but that varies for different situations. I feel that when things are tight, I would rather stress the snaps than the zipper.

canvasguru

Reaction score
If the curtains are real tight, front curtains first, then sides with smiles un-zipped, then backdrop. if still to tight ,loosen bimini straps and snap up fronts
and pull back straps. then sides and back. also check out the Clearstow boat curtain storage bag to keep them nice and scratch free when not in use.

Reactions: wahoo33417

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No, don't think so. If you are talking mostly about the snaps and dots that connect the canvas to the windshield frame, they should slide left/right a little if to make easier to put up. You may have to gently persuade them.

Lift the Dot is a brand name.
Canvasguru, you have pitched that storage bag in every post you have made today, 5 different threads, so far. Maybe you should check out the "Donation" thread, as well.

Last edited: