need help with broken bolt on swim platform 96 gulfstream

jcdubs58

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
hi all new to group but have been a lurker it seems i have a broken mounting bolt on starboard bracket of swim deck. was wondering if they are tapped in or through bolted.any help would be greatly appreciated thanks john

seasick

Reaction score
On my 208 the platform is attached with lag type screws, not bolts and nuts

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
thank you

Always a good idea to check the sealant/bedding on those lag screws as it doesn’t last forever. Also check for signs of water ingress into the transom when you check the lag screws.

It was very easy to convert to through bolted (at least on my 2005 208); just check inside the transom for things like fuel filters/freshwater pumps/etc before drilling through.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
hi all new to group but have been a lurker it seems i have a broken mounting bolt on starboard bracket of swim deck. was wondering if they are tapped in or through bolted.any help would be greatly appreciated thanks john
They should be screws not bolt+nut, that's what my old 228 had, the swim platform is sitting on the out-drive bracket as well so not much load or leverage . I would say the screw head broke due to too much torque with rattle gun . It could be hard to pull out without enlarging the hole. If that was the case I would put a new one next to the broken one. Make sure you seal the old and the new one so no water gets in the core.

jcdubs58

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks will have to look inside after I uncover hopefully I can through bolt it

seasick

Reaction score
With regard to sealing, a sure sign that the bolts need to be rebedded is when you see rust stains 'running' from where the bolts are or oozing from around them.