NEMA 2000 NEMA 0183 2004 GW 33 Express

RockLobsterBOS

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I recently purchased a mint 2004 GW 33 express. Mint because both the port and stdb sides along with the transom have been completely redone as far as moisture.
The boat was repowered in 2015 with the F300NCA Yamahas. Now I am assuming that the boat shipped standard with NEMA0183 connections to the gauges.
Can someone confirm this?
As well the owner installed in 2020 a pair of Garmin 1242 touch screens. Along with the motor upgrades he added fly by wire throttles.
My other questions are:
I want to bring all my motor sentences via network to the Garmin.
Do I need to run a new NEMA2000 backbone to the Gamins from the engines?
Can I use the current network to the throttles and hub there and bring 0183 (or NEMA2000)to the Gamins?
Did GW run NEMA2000 in 2004 or only 0183?

Thanks
Rich

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The full Yamaha engine data is on J1939 not N2k What Yamaha gauge do you have? Depending on what you have you may only need Yamaha EngineBus to J1939 adapter. The Garmin has aJ1939 port and menus for Yamaha

Forget about 0183

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Grady-White does not put electronics on the boat from the factory. That is typically done by the dealer. The NMEA0183 is an older protocol and is not compatible with your new engines. Your gauges are either command link or command link plus protocol. Most likely command link plus plus. The Garmin 1242s will accept either J1939 or NMEA2K connection to your motors to display engine data. My 330 has nearly identical except my engines are mechanical. To display engine information on your Garmin‘s you will need either a J1939 interface or a Nema 2K interface cable. On my boat I have an older auto pilot that only uses NEMA 0183. Most Garmins have NMEA 0183 in the power cable, look for multiple small wires.

Last edited:

RockLobsterBOS

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Look for one (or two) of these in your boat.

YAMAHA - COMMAND LINK MULTI HUB ASSEMBLY - 6Y8-81920-01-00

View attachment 28371
Hi
Thanks for the replies. The gauges are the standard round gauges that I see with other Yamaha motors. There are three round gauges on the dash. I will look for the above Multi Link Hub. Now when it comes to the motors I stay on the J1939? Or should I run a NEMA 2000 backbone up from the stern?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hi
Thanks for the replies. The gauges are the standard round gauges that I see with other Yamaha motors. There are three round gauges on the dash. I will look for the above Multi Link Hub. Now when it comes to the motors I stay on the J1939? Or should I run a NEMA 2000 backbone up from the stern?
I'd set up a NMEA 2K network as it will have other usages depending on your electronics. For instance Fusion stereos can be controlled from your 1243s via the NMEA 2K, the VHF FM marine radio may get it's position for DSC reporting from NMEA 2K. Heading sensors use NMEA2K. My 330 has one Yamaha hub aft by the generator and one behind the gauges at the helm. The J1939 has the advantage of duplicating the Yamaha CL7 display on your 1242. One other thing, the command link has it's own power source when the ignition key is on and the NMEA network also has a power source that is always powered or only when your electronics are powered, depending on how the installer sets it up. The Yamaha command link is a CAN OBDII type protocol, very similar, but not exactly like the NMEA2K. The hub aft connects to each engine and has a power connection and a network connection that runs data up to the helm, attaching to the forward hub. That command link hub feeds your three round gauges.

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Garmin makes the Yamaha CL7 digital gauge. It is basically a GPSMAP7400. They put that Yamaha software and J1939 port in all of the GPSMAP mfds. That means if you use J1939 your Garmin will do everything the CL7 will do(when setup correctly). You just need to plug into the Yamaha Hub with a Garmin J1939 adapter. Its possible you don't have a HUB yet. The cables might go directly to your round gauges(Command Link plus) idk...
Look at Garmin site for J1939 adapter info. Don't get confused by things online regarding connecting Yamaha thru 2k to Simrad or Lowrance etc because Thats different story.

If you use N2k, You need a "2k gateway" and you will not get ALL engine data and error displays. IMO thats a waste of time and money.

That doesn't mean that you should not create a 2k network to connect your Garmins to other devices like GPS puck, autopilot, VHF/AIS, other old mfds...
I doubt there is anything near the motors that connects to N2k.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I believe the Yamaha command link hub only has three device ports. So your forward hub will be taken up by your three gauges. Your aft hub may only have two devices, one for each engine. Agree with skunk, J1939 is the way to go but Nema 2000 is configurable through the Garmin software menus for various data including all of your warnings. Just checked and according to Garmin your 1242 may not have the J1939 port unless it is a 1242 Plus. Not all Garmin GPSMAPs have J1939 ports

Last edited:

RockLobsterBOS

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thank you for this great info.
I will create a NEMA 2000 for all other associated electronincs and leave the j1939 to do what it does best.
I understand from some drawings I found that I can daisy two Command link multi hubs and run no additional power.
This would satisfy port issue or lack there of.
Grat Info i am very glad I joined the forum and bought my first Grady.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thank you for this great info.
I will create a NEMA 2000 for all other associated electronincs and leave the j1939 to do what it does best.
I understand from some drawings I found that I can daisy two Command link multi hubs and run no additional power.
This would satisfy port issue or lack there of.
Grat Info i am very glad I joined the forum and bought my first Grady.
I believe that Regardless of power port usage or not, only three devices can be connected to each hub. I ran NMEA2K from the open aft device port to the network as I too had three gauges. From your comment I assume you have the 1242 Plus?

RockLobsterBOS

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yes they are the xsv models I believe. Not sure I got that right

Last edited:

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yes they are the xsv models I believe. Not sure I got that right
They need to be 1242 XSV “Plus” models. Apparently the plus added J1939. Regular 1242 XSV does not have J1939 according to the Garmin website. My 1243XSV do have J1939 ports on the back.

Bg56126

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a similar project underway. I've got all the parts just need to do the install in the spring. With my 1243xsv I am adding a Yamaha Mult hub (part pictured above) and a Garmin J1939 connector which will go between the multihub and the MFDs. You can read more about it here:

RockLobsterBOS

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Does Yamaha make a command link hub that has more than 3 device connections? If not, is there a aftermarket brand that will work?
I have been looking around not finding much.

I would also like to ask if you know how one would get the back of the Garmin's, access panel maybe? Do you go through the gauge panel? I find this powered display cabinet a bit awkward

Thanks

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Does Yamaha make a command link hub that has more than 3 device connections? If not, is there a aftermarket brand that will work?
I have been looking around not finding much.

I would also like to ask if you know how one would get the back of the Garmin's, access panel maybe? Do you go through the gauge panel? I find this powered display cabinet a bit awkward

Thanks
You daisy chain them.

If you can't open the dash panel, the newer Garmins are usually held in by screws from the front. The screws are hidden under removable plastic top and bottom edge.

Last edited:

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
To get to the back of the MFDs you have to raise the electronics box/ram to nearly the full up position, disconnect the ram from the electronics box, and I put a stick, padded on both ends, under the box after I manually raise it to and almost vertical position. The area behind your engine gauges is a separate compartment, not directly connected to the electronics box, but wires can be routed there. I have the main N2K backbone behind the gauges. The power connections for your MFDs feed down to the area behind the electronics switch panel in the cabin. Your transducer cables also feed thru the same way. But remember, the above info is most common, but Grady doesn't usually put any electronics in as standard, that is done by an installer or dealer. Things could be different.

RockLobsterBOS

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
To get to the back of the MFDs you have to raise the electronics box/ram to nearly the full up position, disconnect the ram from the electronics box, and I put a stick, padded on both ends, under the box after I manually raise it to and almost vertical position. The area behind your engine gauges is a separate compartment, not directly connected to the electronics box, but wires can be routed there. I have the main N2K backbone behind the gauges. The power connections for your MFDs feed down to the area behind the electronics switch panel in the cabin. Your transducer cables also feed thru the same way. But remember, the above info is most common, but Grady doesn't usually put any electronics in as standard, that is done by an installer or dealer. Things could be different.
Great tip on the electronics box. I do have the j1939 ports on the back of my Garmin's. I was able to take pictures to see the back. Now to find the hub. I found a rigging drawing that outlines my setup perfectly. As mentioned it looks like one hub for the three gauges. The DEC Main harness feeding the engines to binnacle and then the main bus from binnacle to hub. Once the hub is found i should be able to daisy chain add the Garmin's and be done.
Thanks for all the help. I hope I can add to this forum some day.

1676721160446.png

Reactions: SkunkBoat

RockLobsterBOS

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hello
I found the HUB up behind the dash gauge panel. Now the question I have is this, There is no chase from where the dash gauges are into the electronics tub (for lack of better wording)
How does one run the cables from the new HUB I am going to install to the Gamin's? Do I drill a hole and pass them through from gauge area to the electronics tub? I see there is a space I can drop behind the breaker panel. Is there a way to go back up from there to the electronics tub?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You can feed a wire down into the area behind the switch panel in the cabin and then back up into the electronics tub through holes in the tub. Not an easy way to drill a hole between the two anyway. Not a big deal but you will have to drop the switch panel in the cabin to see what I mean. Once you access the area behind the cabin switch panel follow the power wires back up to the electronics tub. The transducer wires also go through that area. Along with Nema 2000 etc.

RockLobsterBOS

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You can feed a wire down into the area behind the switch panel in the cabin and then back up into the electronics tub through holes in the tub. Not an easy way to drill a hole between the two anyway. Not a big deal but you will have to drop the switch panel in the cabin to see what I mean. Once you access the area behind the cabin switch panel follow the power wires back up to the electronics tub. The transducer wires also go through that area. Along with Nema 2000 etc.
Thank you. I dug around and saw that I can do the panel removal or the electronic tub removal and run the wires.