New 228G Owner Here, question on storage

GulfSea

Reaction score
Hi All, I just picked up my 1st Saltwater Boat which is a 2008 Grady 228G with 250hp Yamaha Power. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited. In getting all the normal supplies in line, one thing I have a question about is covering during times of non-use. I've looked at a ton of Grady's over the past several months and to date, I've yet to see one covered. Granted I'm in FL where they're used pretty much year round' so that may be the reason.

I'll be using this one at least every week or 2 and usually more often than that. It has a hard top and curtains installed so the center is protected from the elements. And if there's a wax that works well to protect, I can apply that too. I'm pretty meticulous in caring for equipment so want to start out the right way.

Thanks, Steve

rcrudder

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I keep mine in a boat storage barn at a marina in Panama City, Florida. Sun is worse than salt on a boat. West Marine will gladly help you part with some cash for cleaning products. You might want to get a produce called Salt-a-Way. You can use it to flush your motor and wash the boat. Boaters up here swear by it.

Enjoy your 228. We are enjoying ours.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Congrats Steve on the 228..I have the same boat, same model year with the same motor. I keep my boat in a one of those metal pole barns to keep mainly the sun off of her and reduce the fall leaf drop too from filling the cockpit with a ton of leaves. Many here will advise using woody wax on the decks and I do. I use collinites paste wax and have great results on the hull or maguiries (sp) fleet wax. Enjoy your ride and it is the one thing I miss about living in the sunshine state...year round boating.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
x 2 on the Collinite ......and the Woody Wax on the non skid areas (you can also use it on the stainless railings)

GulfSea

Reaction score
Thanks for the information; I'll pick up the suggested products to get a jump on protecting finishes. Unfortunately for my wallet, there are 2 West Marines within 10 miles of the Homestead. ; )

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Unfortunately for your wallet you live within an hour of some the best fishing in the world...down off Key Largo and Islamorada....I envy your wallet or at least your close proximity to the Florida Keys...

JiminGA

Reaction score
GulfSea, Welcome!

I did see your reply to my pm on THT. Anytime you have questions, everyone here is very happy to lend a hand.

You mentioned covering your boat. Our cover came from http://www.coversearch.com. The model # is 90025 and it's made by Carver Industries. It takes about 10 minutes to put on / take off. I'm a stickler about keeping her new looking. She gets waxed 2x year and rinsed/washed after every trip. Folks always are asking if it is new.

DSC00540%20(Medium).JPG

GulfSea

Reaction score
JiminGA said:
GulfSea, Welcome!

I did see your reply to my pm on THT. Anytime you have questions, everyone here is very happy to lend a hand.

You mentioned covering your boat. Our cover came from http://www.coversearch.com. The model # is 90025 and it's made by Carver Industries. It takes about 10 minutes to put on / take off. I'm a stickler about keeping her new looking. She gets waxed 2x year and rinsed/washed after every trip. Folks always are asking if it is new.

DSC00540%20(Medium).JPG

Thanks JiminGA! Perfect timing; I just got the title work done yesterday, registration is complete and I bought my saltwater fishing license (5 year) yesterday. We've got a vacant rental right now so I probably won't get out until next week. But I did enough research on covers to get confused with which way to go. I'll get with coversearch.com in the next week to get the cover ordered.

seasick

Reaction score
In warm weather, you won't want to keep the curtains on. It gets hot. I also don't like to keep the curtains exposed to the elements if not necessary, so I keep them off and use a cover for protection. Since I dock, I have to use a helm cover. The deck is exposed but that is not a really big deal. When not used, store vinyl cushions out of the sun, they will last a lot longer.
If you keep the deck waxed ( I like Woody wax for that) it will clean up well. The biggest pain after bird poop is staining from tree leaves.
Also be sure that you do not leave any food on board when not in use. Your local scavengers will find a way to get to it..That includes, bait, crackers, gun, candy, etc.

JiminGA

Reaction score
GulfSea said:
JiminGA said:

Thanks JiminGA! Perfect timing; I just got the title work done yesterday, registration is complete and I bought my saltwater fishing license (5 year) yesterday. We've got a vacant rental right now so I probably won't get out until next week. But I did enough research on covers to get confused with which way to go. I'll get with coversearch.com in the next week to get the cover ordered.

I do want to add that the cover model number I gave you assumes you have the bow pulpit. If you don't have the pulpit, I'd go 1 foot shorter - maybe 2.