New 265... Fuel gage-main or aux?

cscott

Reaction score
I've been playing with my new 265 (thank you for the amazing amount of help I got from folks here!!!!!).
I cannot tell if the fuel gage is reading for the main or the auxilary tank. The manual does not tell. I tried switching the valve and the gage still reads the same. So far it SEEMS to me to be reading the aux.
Is there a way to switch which tank it is reading? Does it read only the main or the aux?
The boat is a 2004 with f225s. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Scott

reelscreamer2

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Islander and there is a rocker switch on the dash which enables you to switch the Yamaha fuel guage from the main tank to the aux. tank or visa versa. This only switches the reading of the fuel guage and not the actual source of fuel for the engines. You need to manually switch tanks with the lever in the bilge compartment for that. From your post, I assume that is what your were using to try to change the reading of your fuel guage. Hope this helps.

Pete

Enough Already

Reaction score
My '01 has a rocker switch on the dash to read fuel level - need to wait about 30 seconds for things to settle for an accurate read. You actually switch between main and aux via 2 selector levers inside the rear port and starboard lockable access doors in the back corners.

mronzo

Reaction score
What they said!

You're going to love that boat!

'00 GW 265 Express

Dean265

Reaction score
Hey Scott,
Is your boat in the water still? I really do want to come up and see her...maybe after the 1st? Merry Christmas to you and your family.

cscott

Reaction score
Thanks Pete!!!! I'll try that and let you know how it goes...

DJ- Please let me know if it's different than that on our 265's.

I've been really enjoying this boat to say the least. Very nice.... It's still in the water and any time!!! I got the snaps fixed and a mooring cover and some carpet in the helm. All work good. Going to kill blackmouth Sunday am if you're interested.

Happy Holidays!!!!

cscott

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As mentioned above, you will have a rocker switch on your panel that will read main and aux. Just switch it to read which tank you wish to see. Always keep it on the tank you run...and make sure you know which tank your running off of and that the 3 way valve from your tanks is set how you think it is. Always run each engine off the same tank..never one of each. Good luck with the boat its a great one...and it raises fish!!! Any questions feel free to pm me

Dean265

Reaction score
Yep...thats how it works and if im not mistaken, its the top left rocker switch.

Thanks for the offer Sunday, I wish I could take you up but I'll be at work. My schedule is far more flexable after the 1st. We'll talk. I'm looking forward to seeing your snap upgrades too!

cscott

Reaction score
I think I could have learned that there are two manual fuel switches the hard way. Makes sense and that's been part of my problem. Both tanks being drawn down simultaneously..... explains alot. I'll hit the rocker switch and now that I am not drawing off both tanks, will see it working. Thanks a bunch!

johns

Reaction score
Did you buy the 265 that had the custom teak flushmount for the electronics? If so I saw that boat in Seattle a year or so ago and I was amazed how clean it was! Take good care of it.

cscott

Reaction score
I wish I had the opportunity to see that one.This one was actually a new left over 2004 from NJ. No electronics or anyting and had a couple of gelcoat dings on the bottom of the hull where a stand had dinged it. Full warranty and the whole bit. I think I got a good deal and the dealer has been very helpful. Transportation was a bit pricey but I couldn't find one in the NW. I have (still do) single engine Whalers my whole life and this boat has been a real eye opener. If you know of anyone looking for a pristine 2001 outrage please let me know. I have one I would like to sell and it isperfectly set up for fishing. cscott

Dean265

Reaction score
johns- the 265 you speak of is the one I picked up :) And yes, shes very well taken care of. Shes out in her heated garage right now.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fishingFINattic

You should never run off both tanks. I am a naval architect and most boats are not designed to run this way except for a handful of cats out there. Since their is a central draw off the tanks going to each manifold, many boats have problems drawing from two tanks at once since they were not designed to do so. Usually, they will draw more from one then the other and over time it may cause problems in the lines. Also, this boat was designed to run the main as your every day tank and the aux when you need more range. You can alter which tank you use but this will really change how the boat runs, it is made to run off the main tank. If you use both, you should try to burn out of the aux first. The main tank will have a very small effect on the boats handling and trim angles, the aux tank on this model will change it a bit more if not used correctly. Never leave any tanks dry, and you should always switch them once in a while so that fuel does not sit too long. Honestly you can run it however you want, but the fuel system was not really designed to run one engine off each tank and you will most likely see problems down the road, plus you will probably find you will end up being way less efficient running it that way, the boat will probably burn more due to trim angles and load locations.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
fishingFINattic

Also, this boat was designed to run the main as your every day tank and the aux when you need more range. it is made to run off the main tank. If you use both, you should try to burn out of the aux first. The main tank will have a very small effect on the boats handling and trim angles, the aux tank on this model will change it a bit more if not used correctly.quote]

Sorry, but i don't get this one. :?: :roll: :?

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
fishingFINattic

You should never run off both tanks. I am a naval architect and most boats are not designed to run this way except for a handful of cats out there. Since their is a central draw off the tanks going to each manifold, many boats have problems drawing from two tanks at once since they were not designed to do so. Usually, they will draw more from one then the other and over time it may cause problems in the lines. Also, this boat was designed to run the main as your every day tank and the aux when you need more range. You can alter which tank you use but this will really change how the boat runs, it is made to run off the main tank. If you use both, you should try to burn out of the aux first. The main tank will have a very small effect on the boats handling and trim angles, the aux tank on this model will change it a bit more if not used correctly. Never leave any tanks dry, and you should always switch them once in a while so that fuel does not sit too long. Honestly you can run it however you want, but the fuel system was not really designed to run one engine off each tank and you will most likely see problems down the road, plus you will probably find you will end up being way less efficient running it that way, the boat will probably burn more due to trim angles and load locations.

I am not a naval architect, but I am a mechanical engineer and your comments have me left with more questions than answers! :shock:

Could you elaborate more on your statement on drawing from two tanks.
It is my understanding that the engine fuel pumps are responsible for transferring the fuel from the tank to each engine. There are fuel lines connected to both tanks and both motors, and depending on the valve selection, either motor is capable of drawing from either tank. With that said, isn’t running each motor off of its own tank just like running two independent single engine boats? The same motor that goes on single engine boat can go on twin engine boats. I would think that the main feed fuel line would be larger on a twin to accommodate for both motors flow rate from one tank, but other than that I could not see any reason why one motor couldn’t draw from one tank, and the other motor from the opposite one. I can actually see advantages to this setup.

With that said. I certainly believe handling is altered depending on tank selection.

I used to alternate and run 130 gallons thru main tank until I had about 10-20 left. Then I would fill the reserve (120 gallons) and run that until it was nearly empty. I noticed the boat handle differently when running on the reserve fuel and main empty. I now keep the reserve tank low and run mostly on the main tank. If heading out a 250+ mile canyon trip, I will fill both but head out on reserve and switch to main after 110 gallons.

I can only assume that the reserve tank is one positioned further back on the boat?

Tim

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On smaller models (smaller than the Marlin) the aux tank weight is set back pretty far and is a larger percentage of the total weight so it will effect the way the boat handels more. Brian (gw204) says his boat handels better with the rear tank full though, hopefully he'll chime in. I don't see how running twins off diferent tanks will cause any problems. Each tank has dual feeds running to the manifolds, as long as you don't try to parallel the tanks what can be the problem? Unless you change the dirverter valves, you can't do that.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sorry if this is to techinical but this is how this works:
It has to do with your Longitudinal center of gravity. Having the aft tank full which is the aux, will change the performance characteristics of the boat. The boat will "dig a hole" on plane and burn more fuel. Even trim tabs will not fix this, yes tabs will fix the trim angle, but the boat will still be lower in the water since the tabs will apply the same amount of lift force regardless of where weight is. This means it may run at the correct angle, but it will not push the transom of the boat out of the water to run how it was designed to, or at the boats optimal location. For fuel efficiency you want the boat out of the water as much as possible, the less wetted surface area, the less drag. Also, weight forward is better for ride, the boat is heavy aft from the engine weight. Just like inboard boats, they ride better because the bulk of the weight is located over the boats center of gravity(near the center of the boat). Having the bulk of your fuel there will benefit you in ride and fuel. With the bulk of your fuel aft, you will have a lot more bow rise when you run into a head sea, having the weight forward will help the boat cut the wave, this is a deep v boat and is designed to run and cut waves. Grady White designates their tanks main and aux for a reason, if there was not a reason, they would call them tank 1 and tank 2.

Grog: As for a better ride, that is a toss up. On a smaller light boat like that, having the aft tank full will help to keep that boat in the water in bigger seas. Since the boat is light, weight aft will keep the engines in the water and it may seem like a better ride since they are not flying out of the water and pounding. Doing so will also cause the bow to rise and fall more in larger seas. This is a trade off and on a small light boat like a 204 it may be a good one. As boats get heavier and bigger, moving weight and fuel towards the center of the boat is ideal. Larger boats do not fly out of the water as much(but they still do), so this is less of an issue, and now you want to target the bow rise and fall. Eliminating this will allow the boat to cut through and smooth waves instead of riding over them and pounding.

Hope this all helps.
Happy Holidays!!!

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
fishingFINattic

You should never run off both tanks. I am a naval architect and most boats are not designed to run this way except for a handful of cats out there. Since their is a central draw off the tanks going to each manifold, many boats have problems drawing from two tanks at once since they were not designed to do so. Usually, they will draw more from one then the other and over time it may cause problems in the lines.

This is what I was hoping you would elaborate on. The handling makes sense to me.

Tim

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gw204 says this about his Sailfish.