New bow mounted boarding ladder and opening rail

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I installed this New bow mounted boarding ladder and opening bow rail this week. I bought 4 different ladders to decide what would work best, sliders, under mounts, 4 steps etc. In the end the most simple 3 step ladder worked best for my needs and takes up almost no space.

Not saying this would work for everyone but for our boat camping needs this will be great.

People can get on and off the beach now much easier. I put large quarter inch thick backing plates underneath the ladder bolts. Sealed wood core w/ epoxy. Rail locks closed.

need to test now!668CF8F8-455C-472B-9C36-AC3B153B919C.jpegFA6EEF01-D8C6-4896-BD15-8D5D5E4B06FC.jpegA8DB9528-A3B4-4451-A989-E844209EFA42.jpeg7D56B227-DE79-4FEE-AC40-BDCEB6FD6417.jpeg

Last edited:

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thats a new one! Looks good.
You might need to move your Nav lights to the hardtop? Looks like the red light is blocked.

It's visible from the side but certain angles are blocked.I may move at someday if i navigate at night.

Last edited:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would think that having the rail in place would add a lot of stability to anyone getting on, or off, the ladder at the top. Sort of like going from the roof to a ladder that only sticks up a few inches above the gutter. Maybe I'm just getting old. Is there someone who can't step over the rail?

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Like I said certainly not for everyone but I use my boat like a SUV and access islands with no dock. Step over the rail? It’s actually very difficult to go under. Vertical posts are good hand holds.

Go beach your boat then try to get off it and back onto it. The horizontal rail is totally in the way and is way too high to grab from beach. From my experience cutting the rail is more important than the ladder for easy beach access.

You either have to limbo backwards under the rail or slide down on your front or just jump over the rail. Guys can do it women don’t like it and kids must be lifted.
4D5F10E7-9884-4928-835C-032F601619F8.jpeg

Attachments

• 5AF2C6EE-21F3-4AB2-962C-6D11040E7A21.jpeg
    5AF2C6EE-21F3-4AB2-962C-6D11040E7A21.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 3
  • CFC090D2-88C7-41FA-8215-11936A1B37F7.jpeg
    CFC090D2-88C7-41FA-8215-11936A1B37F7.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was not suggesting not having a ladder, but only that the handrail might be a good support when you were near the top of the ladder.
I get it but In practice it’s not. It's like climbing a ladder into a wall. I’ve done it both ways before I cut rail. Also the rail is still strong when closed so that’s an option.

Last edited:

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here’s the parts I used. I should note that when this is closed it is very strong.

Stainless boat Rail hinge with locking pin: (fixed link)

Bow Ladder: https://amzn.to/2CN3Km7

The other part of hinged bow rail was a bimini top part, very strong. I'll have to look up my order confirmations.

Last edited:

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Like I said certainly not for everyone but I use my boat like a SUV and access islands with no dock. Step over the rail? It’s actually very difficult to go under. Vertical posts are god hand holds.

Go beach your boat then try to get off it and back onto it. The horizontal rail is totally in the way and is way too high to grab from beach.

You either have to limbo backwards under the rail or slide down on your front or just jump over the rail. Guys can do it women don’t like it and kids must be lifted.
View attachment 14930

Great work!

Can you put a short tether on the locking pin or keep spares? I have those on my bimini and they like to disappear :rolleyes:

By chance did you try hanging a removable boarding ladder in that area? We occasionally need to get off the bow but not often enough for a permanent install.

'84_241_Offshore

Reaction score
Very interesting.........nicely done!
I'm particularly interested in the hardware you used for the railing, locks/hinges.
I bow in at my slip w/o floating docks. At high tide I need a ladder to board. Have seen some boats with the front of the bow rail removed but don't care for the look.
If I could rig something w/ hardware to make it foldable I'd be interested.

TIA.......Tony

Attachments

• 20200414_115250.jpg
    20200414_115250.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Could you explain the bolt situation? What material did you find, 3/4" plywood or what. I've considered bolting a life raft up front but am shy about that process.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Could you explain the bolt situation? What material did you find, 3/4" plywood or what. I've considered bolting a life raft up front but am shy about that process.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking but I'll take a stab on what you might be asking. I found a plywood core about 1/2" thick. I always seal wood coring material with expoxy or polyester resin and let dry before I put my bolts in. Below the water line I use the over drill/fill method but not needed here. I prefer butyl tape for sealing any deck penetrations as it will last 30 years and stay pliable. Don't use silicone unless it's your friends boat. :p

I used 2" long stainless 1/4-20 countersunk bolts (that's as big of bolts as the ladder would allow) with 1/4" thick aluminum backing plates inside the hull. I can reach one side through anchor locker (hard) and other since inside cuddy.

Will be testing the ladder out this weekend when 3 friends and I assault the beaches of a certain island for a camping adventure. Will be worth it to have the beach to our selves!

Last edited:

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was looking for the material and thinking through how to bolt a raft cradle up on the bow. I agree on the butyl tape, I use it all the time.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Very nice! Great job of making that boat what you need it to be.