New Canvas Color: Ivory or Navy?

bartoma

Reaction score
A&J is making a new set of curtains for my 265 Express... I've opted for old school navy, but am wondering if ivory might have been a better choice?

Is there a real advantage to one over the other? I would think navy would hide dirt better and easier to keep clean looking... But Ivory is what I see on the newer models, and it have a really nice look...

Any thoughts on the calculus related to this decision?

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have navy on my boat as well. Couldn't pay me to use ivory because of what you said about cleaning. If a spot shows up that can't be cleaned off, that would drive me nuts. Think bird poop :(

There's a tipping point for everyone that deals with as far as how much time are you willing to spend keeping up with extra maintenance vs. getting out on the water and actually using the boat.

I'm a fisherman first, and a boat owner comes in second place in my sandbox. I think you are making the right decision.

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Navy here also for my new enclosure for the same reasons as stated above. Ivory is nice looking, but could see it being a pain to maintain.

Reactions: Viking88rd

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I am approaching this decision soon for my 265
Dark;
I like the contrast and the look
Doesn't show "mildew" & stains
Better when running in the dark (less reflection in eyes).

Light;
I also like the look
Fading not noticeable

I will probably stay with blue...

Reactions: Viking88rd

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
When I redid my enclosure on my 265 I went with Ivory over the navy. I also upgraded to strataglass and stamoid materials. Overall I think the ivory gave the boat a more modern cleaner look. The Stamoid was so much easier to clean compared to the factory fabric as it is a much slicker surface. Thats my opinion for what ever its worth.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

wrxhoon

Reaction score
If I was to replace mine I would go Navy, anything other is not a Grady to me but each to their own.
Having said that I don't think I would ever have to replace mine , always under cover when not in use .

Salmondogs

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'm a navy guy because, as leeccoll said best, I'm a fisherman first and ivory is just more work. That being said ivory can look good but it has to be done just right. I work on a 305 Conquest that has ivory that looks awesome, but there's also a 305 in our harbor that has ivory that looks HORRIBLE. I can't really explain why, just the way it was put together. It's like adding more white the wrong way really messed up the proportions when you look at the profile of the boat. Also it makes anything black or dark really pop so if your rub rail and or windows have flaws they will stand out more, or at least that's the kind of stuff my eye catches.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
For me, a Grady should have Navy. Ivory does look impressive when new. But my 13-year-old 282 has white and I wish it were Navy.

Rob

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm going to be making some very soon too. Dark blue all the way! I'm going to eliminate many of the zippers in the windows, as we just don't ever seem to need to unwrap up here in the north.

I'm more than half way done with my replacement cushions too. Not as hard as I thought. Who knew I could learn to sew?! :)

Fishtales

Reaction score
I vote for the ivory stamoid and the strataglass.

bac0701

Reaction score
are you able to roll that front full glass up ? I've thought about that, but not sure how it would be with rolling it up or getting some sort of breeze in the cockpit if its hot out