New Grady Early Spring Survey

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you were considering a new GW how much would you go up in size, what model/style would you get?

I'd love a larger walk from GW, but since that isn't an option it would be another Marlin walkaround.
If money wasn't an object, unfortunately I'd defect to Pursuit and get the OS38. Just can't do the center helms...

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Already did it:

Went from a 232 to a Marlin.

Haven't got it yet, but I am expecting all the differences one would hope for with that big a jump.

Main reasons were:

1.) Better sea boat. We boat in open coastal waters and want a smoother ride and more comfort during long range passages.

2.) Better overnight accommodations. We stayed overnight in our Gulfstream a lot, but it was basically primitive camping. With the Marlin, we have A/C, a head; well you all know what it is...
We have zero interest in a Freedom Bowrider. I am not knocking them as they are an obvious sell for Grady, but we enjoy overnighting. This Marlin will be the JW Marriott compared to our 232.

3.)We've never owned a larger boat; We wanted to have one since we seem to be getting older and not younger.

4.) Not unlike you, I am not a fan of the Express. I don't care for the center helm and it's too much of a tightrope walk to get to the bow, especially in rough conditions. OB walks are the only choice for me.

There Ya Go...

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You will love the Marlin! The Admiral and I spent 6 weeks on ours in the Keys a few years ago, we want to do it again, it was one of our bucket list items.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If I was going to make the leap it would be from the Sailfish to the Marlin or 33 Express. Definitely would not consider a dual console

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
gOtagrip:

Yeah, we're jazzed about it in a big way; We pick her up Friday.

We also do the Keys from Ft Myers a couple times a year in our 232. The Marlin will enhance that trip greatly I'm sure. No wonder you want to go back; great area down there.

You also gave me some waxing tips when we were first considering "life on a lift" with our Gulfstream a few years ago. Plus, you encouraged me to "do it" when we had trepidation's about that big a move from indiana to Florida and the accompanying lifestyle change. We made the move and couldn't be happier. I've always remembered your advice and never really got to thank you for the encouragement.

Anyway, we are ready to climb aboard the Marlin and start stowing stuff and getting to know the boat.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
magicalbill said:
Yeah, we're jazzed about it in a big way; We pick her up Friday.

Congrats!!! A game changer.

Fishtales said:
If you were considering a new GW how much would you go up in size, what model/style would you get?

If it was just me and the Admiral wasn't interested in boating, I'd be looking at a 336 CC. I still love my Marlin but, like you, would like to see Grady build a larger walkaround. I can dream too!!!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Journeyman:

Thanks also to you for your advice and the kind offer to take a spin aboard yours.

I'm gonna spend some time figuring out the Garmin screens and all the ancillary stuff aboard that I've never had. It'll be a fun journey and we're both excited.

Now I'll stop cluttering up Fish's thread with my personal Marlin Ravings.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I'd look for a boat with the PNW in mind. Having plastic windows is just a bad idea up here.

Grady - make a complete cabin for the PNW.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
journeyman said:
If it was just me and the Admiral wasn't interested in boating, I'd be looking at a 336 CC. I still love my Marlin but, like you, would like to see Grady build a larger walkaround. I can dream too!!!

I think maybe the 45' Canyon qualifies as a large walkaround.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
SkunkBoat said:
journeyman said:

I think maybe the 45' Canyon qualifies as a large walkaround.

Yeah, but I could only afford a used one in about 20 years or so! Unless I win tomorrow nights' Mega Millions jackpot. Then I might have a FLOTILLA!!! :mrgreen:

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a friend who use to talk about what he would do if he won the lottery/mega millions. I always asked him if he bought ticket......the answer was always not yet. I said, well, your chances of winning the lottery are very slim, but your chances are ZERO if you don't buy a ticket!