New GW decals

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you have tried to find the legacy GW name decals, you have likely run into the same scenario that I did...namely that GW stopped selling them years ago. They, of course, have switched to the new slanted block style decal, and many folks have switched to that style.

When I picked up the 225, the previous decals were faded from the Florida sun. Add to that a detailer who tried to buff over them, and I ended up with one side being only the "gold" color. Couldn't leave it that way.

In the course of searching for original "domed" or 3-D decals, I came across these on eBay. They looked pretty close to original, and though they weren't cheap, they were about half the cost of the new style decals. I figured I'd take a chance....

The verdict - they are pretty darn close and a huge improvement over the faded old ones. The sizing is a tiny bit off...maybe 1/4-1/2". So...a little bit of ghost shows which will fade over time.

Only caveat is they are NOT in Florida as the ad shows....they ship from Puerto Rico...so expect it to take 10-14 days to actually receive them once you pay for them.

All in all...thumbs up. Finished product:

50033427111_3edfdf98d4_b.jpg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes....pretty sure it's referred to as "domed" within the industry.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Ouch, a bit pricy but they look great.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The factory ones from GW are close to $500. $200 seemed like a bargain. But - yes - not cheap.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Bought the same ones. When I first contacted them they only had them in black and gold, asked for navy and gold since that's what original Grady's were. Told them they would sell more if they were original colors. He even did my registration in the navy and gold. Haven't changed mine out yet, going to have whole boat cut, buffed, waxed this winter, probably change then.

Screenshot_20200203-201215_eBay.jpg

Reactions: Walleyze

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Now that I did the decals I may do the registration numbers.....I'm guessing they will be close to $100 though.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
@Parthery I got the same ones.. I think I paid like 85 for them.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I thought I did but don't see them. Can get one this evening when I get home.

Viking88rd

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If you have tried to find the legacy GW name decals, you have likely run into the same scenario that I did...namely that GW stopped selling them years ago. They, of course, have switched to the new slanted block style decal, and many folks have switched to that style.

When I picked up the 225, the previous decals were faded from the Florida sun. Add to that a detailer who tried to buff over them, and I ended up with one side being only the "gold" color. Couldn't leave it that way.

In the course of searching for original "domed" or 3-D decals, I came across these on eBay. They looked pretty close to original, and though they weren't cheap, they were about half the cost of the new style decals. I figured I'd take a chance....

The verdict - they are pretty darn close and a huge improvement over the faded old ones. The sizing is a tiny bit off...maybe 1/4-1/2". So...a little bit of ghost shows which will fade over time.

Only caveat is they are NOT in Florida as the ad shows....they ship from Puerto Rico...so expect it to take 10-14 days to actually receive them once you pay for them.

All in all...thumbs up. Finished product:

50033427111_3edfdf98d4_b.jpg
I ordered from the same vendor and actually got him to modify width and length to my exact specs. Arrived quickly and a darn near perfect match. Well worth the effort and cost.Screenshot_20200623-162120_Gallery.jpg

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I ordered from the same vendor and actually got him to modify width and length to my exact specs. Arrived quickly and a darn near perfect match. Well worth the effort and cost.View attachment 14160

Care to share the size you went with?? I didn't change mine because of the size difference like Parthery showed. Have any ghosting from old one?? I'll order another set if I can get it closer to original, I zoomed in on yours and it looks dead nuts to original.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Stock is somewhere around 37” long and 3” high. Mine are off, but just a tiny bit.

I probably could have buffed out the ghosting a bit, but I didn’t. Unless you get real close you won’t notice.

The old ones came off with a putty knife in 2 pieces. Mineral spirits and a razor blade got the residue off.

Reactions: JPB

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
38" long 2 5/8" tall, original one.

New one is 37 1/2" long and 2 9/16" tall. 1/2" short, 1/16" short on height.

20200623_212734.jpg20200623_212723.jpg20200623_212746.jpg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Your stock ones look pretty good KY. Why are you swapping them?

I sent a note to the eBay seller today asking if he would be making more in the navy and gold. He said yes. So - readily available if anyone needs them.

Those reg numbers look pretty good.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The port side is damaged/ rough compared to starboard. Going for a cut, buff, wax after my October guys fishing trip. Having some transom fiberglass work done at same time. Might change out then.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The decals look good. Now to finish the job, rub your rub-rails with a rag with acetone on it (wear nitrile gloves). Then apply some 303 or other rubber protectant and you'll really be looking good.

Reactions: Ky Grady