New Suzukis

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
On my way to put money down on 250 Suzuki's, mechanical control, digital gauges. They are available and should be here in about 10 days. Looking for any advice on what to ask or look for before and during repower. This is very new to me. Taking off my 1998 OX 66 250 Yamaha's
thanks

Reactions: Walleyze

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi,

"250 Suzukis"...

I don't think you need 250 of them. Two should be sufficient. ;)

Seriously though, I don't know anything about them, but I would suggest making sure whichever batteries you have are compatible (i.e. correct size, etc.). I recall my Yamaha tech telling me that many new motors are very sensitive to voltage, etc. While it might not be the case in your situation, it's worth asking the question.

Good luck!!

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
On my way to put money down on 250 Suzuki's, mechanical control, digital gauges. They are available and should be here in about 10 days. Looking for any advice on what to ask or look for before and during repower. This is very new to me. Taking off my 1998 OX 66 250 Yamaha's
thanks
Is it an option to get digital controls? I've had mechanical and digital, once you have digital you will never go back to cables (or at least, I won't). There is no dead spot in digital, at least not in my Yamaha 250. Very sensitive.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
ditto on the fly by wire... much better. IMO mech controls in 2023 is like buying a car with hand crank windows and no AC.

Consider 4 blade props 16 x 20 or 15.25 x22

You are probably using your existing steering. Single cylider and tie rod? or dual cylinder?

The mounting of the cylinder(s) and tie rod will effect the ability to raise the motors full out of the water. You want the cylinder(s) on top of the tiller arm. That will allow the motors to raise higher before the cylinder hits the transom.

I've heard of 250s getting out of the water when done right. Here's a pic of my 265 with 200s after getting correct setup. installed the seastar 5345 cylinder on top of the tiller and used an HO6001 tie bar.

https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/265-express-suzuki-df200apxw2.29099/post-195077

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Black 250 mechanical was all that was available without prolonged wait, I did get digital gauges. My motors will be here in 10 days. My OX 66's have become unreliable and I do not want to wait till 2024 to fish. Mercury said sorry cannot help you and Yamaha has yet to get back to me except to say they are very busy and will get to me when they can (2 wks ago). Dual steering cylinders, I posted a pic. My boat lives on a lift, not sure how that relates. No matter how mounted I should be able lift enough to trailer up a ramp, right. Additionally I posted a pic of the gauge cluster. I will make something out of 1/4in black starboard. Since I will be going to 2 gauges and losing the hour meters any suggestions as to what could be put in the empty space? I will talk to dealer about 4 blade props.
thanks

Attachments

• gauges.jpg
    gauges.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 37
  • tie bar.jpg
    tie bar.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 39

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Any 4 stroke 250 will be a significant improvement over the ox66 in most areas, but power. Be aware Suzuki makes 2 completely different 250's. One is a mechanical 3.6. It's an old school 4 stroke. The other is 4 liter fly by wire. While the 3.6 is a good engine, the 4.0 is much better in every way. If it were my money, I'd pay the extra couple $k for the state of the art engine.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Use the opportunity to look at closely, inspect and reseal if necessary your transom. Replace bang plate with vinyl or fix whatever needs to be done while you have the motors off.

Reactions: MashpeeMan

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
New issue, cannot determine if the df250t has the option of an aux charge cable. Seems as though they are only for lower hp engines or fly by wire type. Anyone able to answer for me?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Black 250 mechanical was all that was available without prolonged wait, I did get digital gauges. My motors will be here in 10 days. My OX 66's have become unreliable and I do not want to wait till 2024 to fish. Mercury said sorry cannot help you and Yamaha has yet to get back to me except to say they are very busy and will get to me when they can (2 wks ago). Dual steering cylinders, I posted a pic. My boat lives on a lift, not sure how that relates. No matter how mounted I should be able lift enough to trailer up a ramp, right. Additionally I posted a pic of the gauge cluster. I will make something out of 1/4in black starboard. Since I will be going to 2 gauges and losing the hour meters any suggestions as to what could be put in the empty space? I will talk to dealer about 4 blade props.
thanks
Those are some cylinders I've never seen before but they look like they go over the top so that gets the cylinders as high as they will go. No matter what you are trailerable...just that if possible, you want the lower unit out of the water when raised. I'm guessing your OX66s did not get out of the water.

the 250T motors are the older, smaller V6 block, different intake & computer. Still good engines. They have a higher gear ratio than the 250AP so probably will benefit more from the 4 blades.
Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure the 250Ts have to be bought as CW and CCW. They are not choosable like the APs

I'm not familiar with what functions work or don't work on the SMG4 guages with the 250Ts. Starboard doesn't crack like that Lexan:rolleyes:... IDK what the rest of your dash looks like. You might be able to move things around, mount that Garmin in the dash.

Are you getting a new Suzuki cable control binnacle? That change from Yammie might require some Starboard too..same with keyswitch panel...

Reactions: PT G

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yea new binnacle, key switch and dead man cut off. We did talk starboard at dealer. Charging bothers me...

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The DF250AP is the one with the digital throttle linkage, which is what I'd go for if it were me. Though if you don't want to wait, I could see why you'd want to go with the mechanical controls, which I believe are the DF250T's. Either way, sounds pretty exciting.

Harrysea

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It looks like your old Yamaha gauges are in decent shape. Don’t throw them away or let your Suzuki rigger keep them. They’ll sell quickly on Hull Truth or this site. They should be worth a few hundred dollars if they’re clean and still work properly.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
I did this in 2019 on my 273 chase with mechanical. Was not worth 5g for fly by wire and no regrets. 500 hours now. I did go from a 19p to 23p prop and that was perfect. Great motors and zero complaints.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I will say this, that the pricing between the mechanical and the digital controls especially on the Suzuki's, can oftentimes only be a difference of $1k or sometimes even less. Of which if that's the case, if they're somewhat readily available and so forth, I'd definitely consider them. As mentioned above, a $5k or greater difference between the two wouldn't even be something I'd consider though.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Got the call I was dreading yesterday, transom is in bad shape and needs repair. Details and estimate being coming in a few days.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That is tough news but better to know now than to mount two new 4 strokes that add significantly more tourque to your transom and risk a disaster while underway. It seems like the number of transom issue is growing by the day on this site. Hope Grady is monitoring these reports and fixes this once and for all. Good luck with the project and hope if is a speedy repair.

Reactions: fitzman

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
That is tough news but better to know now than to mount two new 4 strokes that add significantly more tourque to your transom and risk a disaster while underway. It seems like the number of transom issue is growing by the day on this site. Hope Grady is monitoring these reports and fixes this once and for all. Good luck with the project and hope if is a speedy repair.
It's a 25 year old boat, not sure how that is Grady's problem. They are pretty good about support but there comes a point where it is your problem.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It's a 25 year old boat, not sure how that is Grady's problem. They are pretty good about support but there comes a point where it is your problem.
Great point about the age of the boat, but why wouldn't a manufacturer want to do a fairly simple design improvement to prevent all of these transom issues we are seeing almost on a daily basis.