Noticed standing water

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So.. yes.. it is true... the boat has been in my driveway.. lol

I was looking for a really (really...) large pair of channel locks of mine last month... could not locate them for anything. Then, the other day, I was loading the boat and there they were.. under the 2nd helm seat... in the storage locked.....rusted as hell.

Seems the storage lockers below the helm seats leak.. and.. the port side holds water towards the stern.

So, that cannot be good (not a huge thing, but..).

This probably happened due to rain.. but, means I need to fix seals.. AND.. how the heck can I improve the drainage? Can I drill a small hole in the bottom? No idea what is under that... but not going to just start drilling into things.. heh. Cannot let that water keep accumulating in there.

To that, I really need to re-seal those doors. What do you all use and size?

Thanks!

p.s. That "tackle box" holder in there is next to useless. It slides around OR.. if it was permanent at one time.. wasted a lot of space. (unless this was a personal add-on from the previous owner.) I plan to customize it.. back it up, secure it, and add a peg board to inside the door to hang lures...not a big one, clearly, heh.. but something to really organize and take advantage of stuff AFTER I fix the water thing.

R

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
pics, pics, we need pics :)

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Heh, I will take some in a minute heh, sorry

Okay, here are pics. Do not mind the mess, stuffed stuff in there when we had to come back. Trying to figure storage ideas for these two areas.

R

Attachments

• IMG_3063.jpg
    IMG_3063.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3064.jpg
    IMG_3064.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3065.jpg
    IMG_3065.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3066.jpg
    IMG_3066.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3067.jpg
    IMG_3067.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Did they not silicone between the door frame and the fiberglass? Or do you think the water is coming from the door seal? Also make sure they silicones the bolt holes for the seat mount.

Reactions: RussGW270

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Did they not silicone between the door frame and the fiberglass? Or do you think the water is coming from the door seal? Also make sure they silicones the bolt holes for the seat mount.

Good points. I think it came from the door, but there was an awful lot of water there for the door. I'll dry it out and silicone the crap out of all of it. If I need to remove the seat to make that happen, I will. Not sure if that is the original seat or what.. heh. I wish it had the companion bench. If I ever locate one, I will sell the captain seat or keep it as an emergency backup :p

R

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Gotta be careful just drilling a hole without sealing the deck wood. Maybe add a sealed plastic tube drain fitting inside the hole. I don’t believe there is a problem putting a drain near the rear of the compartment. Not sure if you will be drilling the roof of the compartment below though.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Gotta be careful just drilling a hole without sealing the deck wood. Maybe add a sealed plastic tube drain fitting inside the hole. I don’t believe there is a problem putting a drain near the rear of the compartment. Not sure if you will be drilling the roof of the compartment below though.

Hence why I stated I was not going to just start drilling into things. Thanks. Water tank is in the rear part. I think sealing the compartment will solve the issue, vs drilling.

R

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ge white silicone is the easiest to work with and is your best color match. The premium one with a 10 year warranty. Best price is Walmart. Won’t take much silicone if you coat the back of the frame and squeeze it in. Then bead the outside with a small bead. Spray water n dish soap generously over the silicone immediately after application and wipe off the excess with your finger using a rolling motion. That is how you get the factory look.

Reactions: Bloodweiser

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
bet that door seal is doing diddly squat

seasick

Reaction score
I am not sure it is from the door yet. What is the thing in the starboard locker with what looks like a drain hose connected to it? Is that a drain on the bottom of the seat pedestal?
I also suppose that water could run down the fuel/vent hoses from up above. That should be easy to check with a hose. I would also spray the top of the locker around the seat pedestal base.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I am not sure it is from the door yet. What is the thing in the starboard locker with what looks like a drain hose connected to it? Is that a drain on the bottom of the seat pedestal?
I also suppose that water could run down the fuel/vent hoses from up above. That should be easy to check with a hose. I would also spray the top of the locker around the seat pedestal base.

Yeah that's odd.
My pedestal seat doesn't have that cup with a drain thingy. Definitely need to seal the seat to deck connection for sure

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Good eye. Seasick. Cup holder could also be leaking. I’d silicone under the rim if the cup holder also.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good eye. Seasick. Cup holder could also be leaking. I’d silicone under the rim if the cup holder also.

That isn't a cup holder. It is a catch cup under the inner seat post which protrudes through the top of the storage box. Even if the seat post flange is sealed to the top surface, water can still enter around the inner telescoping part and drain down into that cup when spraying with a hose and then out onto the deck. I see a drop of water hanging on the bottom of the cup.

I would pull the seat up and out of the base so you can look down into that cup. You should be able to pour a cup of water down there and see it run out the drain tube. If any water comes out anywhere else then address that. The tube could be plugged by insects. Of course as others mentioned you need to also seal around the seat post base.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The seat drain hose runs behind the carpet, so you should be able to trace it by feeling it through the carpet to see where it drains. It either has an elbow, or makes a sharp turn there, so check for a kink.
You can see traces of some sort of adhesive on the face of the red tacklebox holder. They stuck it through the opening, turned it, and sealed it right inside the door, wasting the space behind. You can probably see or feel the remnants of the adhesive around the inside of the door frame. Actually, you can see the outline of it where it stained the deck, right inside the hatch.
That’s why they carpeted under the helm seat, and not under the passenger seat, because you couldn’t see it with the tacklebox in place. You could re-attach it with some better adhesive, and a couple of screws, and add another hatch, either on the side, or in the front, and use the space in front of the tackle holder. Good place for a recessed fire extinguisher insert, if you don’t already have one.
While I was in there, I would wire a good LED light into the courtesy light circuit, that I see in the top corner of the passenger seat box, and it also looks like you might be able to fish a wire to the courtesy light to the right of the helm seat box as well.
Locate the lights in the rear of the boxes, and above the hatch frames, so that they don’t blind you when you look in.

What are the two black hoses under the passenger seat, and do those eight stainless steel nuts and bolts hold up anything other than a foot rest?

The water under the passenger seat would have to drain out around those hoses through the deck, whenever the boat was moving, either on the water or on the trailer. So, it would probably be safe to drill some drain holes along the rear edge, taking into account the thickness of the deck that you can see around the hoses, and seal the new holes with epoxy.

Last edited: