Okay, so let's talk A/C installs...

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I wanted to chat about an a/c. Now....the typical answer on a boat like mine (270 Islander).... people "remove the refrigerator and install an a/c".

So, I am assuming.. the fridge does not fit when the a/c is installed, or does the a/c go in behind/under it?

I really REALLY like my fridge there. We ice down drinks like packed.. and keep them iced like mad.. then, before we go out, we stuff the fridge with cold cold drinks... so we can fit more on the transom. The fridge is on all night so it is cold, and we put a frozen milk jug or three in there till we stuff the drinks in and it really keeps them cold during the day.. so, pretty darn useful drink holder and we all know (especially in Texas/Florida etc)... that you need a lot of drinks.. heh.

So, if losing the fridge is a thing.... I was thinking, for how WE use the boat.....well, it is not like we sit around the table downstairs.. it's a bed. If you are looking into the cabin, on the right side, wall of the outside of the head, there are a couple nets for storage. What if we built a small "cabinet" on that wall, up top, where that small light is at.. and ran the hoses and electrical to it and installed the a/c there?

Again.. have not seen the a/c .....thinking like 6000-10000 btu, whatever fits and does the job, I mean, all that goes that side is some small stuff in the nets and feet when you sleep and the feet would still fit.

Curious what others have done... besides just lose the fridge.. or is it lost?

Not sure on the exact dimensions required.. and not doing anything anytime soon. For now, we have a heavy portable unit we load into the truck when we are not at the slip.

R

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well, then that made my day lol....thought I would need to get rid of the fridge heh. That thing holds a lot of water when underway. Freeze a case of water and it thaws by the time you need it, it also keeps the other drinks cold as you swap them out.

bartoma

Reaction score
I've wanted to put an AC in my 265 Express, but I've found no concrete evidence that anyone's actually done it... It was not a factory option, apparently...
I've contemplated a zero breeze M2 unit to blow through the door, but not there yet...

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well, it is on my list to do for my boat so I do not have to lug the portable... "portable" a/c around heh. If I can swing it, will do it next spring, just have more pressing things this year.

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
not sure about the 265, but we mounted ours behind the aft cabin over the head tank. Built a mounting board and a box to prevent bilge are from entering cabin.AC unit.jpgreturn air.jpg

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
In the actual head?

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
no no, over the holding tank and macerator pump that sits right behind the aft cabin. The AC sits right behind that new starboard cover with the return air vent mounted on it. That's the back wall if my aft cabin.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yea, sorry.. not sure where that is on a 282 heh, but I think I am told the boat I have fits one behind the fridge, just gotta see where the vent goes heh. Can't have it too close to the breaker panel as condensation could build up :p

Will worry about that when I cross that bridge maybe next year. For now.. I have a "portable" a/c.. that weighs a lot heh

R

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Aaaahhh yea, now you are making sense to me. Beautiful job. I do not have a 2nd berth but that is a sweet job there.