On board charger installation

treedogg

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Hello all, I just bought a new 257 and I would like to install an on board battery charger with an external male plug. Any suggestions where to mount the charger, external plug? Any input would be appreciated.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Install it in the vicinity of your batteries but not directly above it because of possible outgassing. Marinco makes a nice plug setup - both hardwired version and a "cord keeper" version - check out their website. Also, check out Pro Mariner's line of ProNautic chargers - they are excellent chargers with a great charging profile.

treedogg

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Thanks for the input. I have a pro mariner already. I will check out the marinco plugs. Thanks.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If you are planning to plug it in while the boat is in the water, you will want to install a galvanic isolator to prevent galvanic corrosion issues. I think that was an option from GW.

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Promariner makes a universal AC plug holder .. bout $20

treedogg

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Going to charge while at home on trailer. Thanks byram for the info.

Reactions: Byram

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Make sure to coat the plug with boshield/no-oxide/dielectric grease. The charger body should be sealed well enough.

seasick

Reaction score
In general, the location for the receptacle and the location for the charger should both be dry locations.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
In general, the location for the receptacle and the location for the charger should both be dry locations.

Once again, different use. I fish rough water and saltwater gets into the bilge because it comes over the bow and drains into the anchor locker. We have a lot of chop and it can come over the gunnels. Water then enters through the rod/gaff holders or the rear jump seat lids since they’re not waterproof.

If you use your boat for cruising/calm water then yes, moisture is likely not a problem.

Maybe the salt and humidity aren’t as bad where you are but over here coating any exposed electrical terminals/plugs is cheap insurance.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If the spot where you would like to screw the charger to is not thick enough, you can thru-bolt it... if the other side is accessible, of course. OR... use epoxy or adhesive caulk to attach wood to the spot, then screw the charger to that.

Last edited:

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just did this job on my 255 Freedom last month. I bought a 2 bank battery charger, galvanic isolator, and a power inlet. Came out decent. I can take a few photos and post them if you're interested.

Last edited:

treedogg

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I just did this job on my 255 Freedom last month. I bought a 2 bank battery charger, galvanic isolator, and a power inlet. Came out decent. I can take a few photos and post them if you're interested.
Definitely interested let’s see it. Thanks

treedogg

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I was planning on mounting charger in side the console. And mounting the receptacle about a foot off the deck on the side of the console. I’m definitely open to new ideas.

treedogg

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I had a noco receptacle on my previous rig it sealed nicely.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
OK, not great pics; I took them while cleaning up the boat after coming back in this afternoon.
img6.jpg

img7.jpg

Reactions: ilmmct

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
new boat and no onboard charger or isolator, wow never would have thought that

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
new boat and no onboard charger or isolator, wow never would have thought that
Like anything, it's an option. Some may not really need it with the way they boat. I guess you either pay for it without knowing about it (standard feature) or pay for it and know about it (optional feature). :)

treedogg

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Like anything, it's an option. Some may not really need it with the way they boat. I guess you either pay for it without knowing about it (standard feature) or pay for it and know about it (optional feature). :)
Unfortunately, it was not part of the deal.

scottstef

Reaction score

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Scott,
Thanks for the question. Supposedly it is. Marinco makes a bunch of them. This is the one I ordered Marinco 150BBIW and I can't really see that it's any different from the one with the -RV suffix. I am powering it from a GFI protected receptacle in the gazebo, and only powering the 2 bank battery charger.