Oregon finds a fix to the ethanol problem

engineersx2

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
According to the May 2008 edition (page 7) of BoatUS Magazine, beginning Jan. 1, 2009; gasoline sold for use in boats in Oregon will be exempt from the 2007 law requiring that all fuel contain 10% ethanol. The bill was signed into law on March 11, and also applies to aircrat, ATV's, gasoline engine-powered tools and classic cars.

One of the main reasons given for the exemption is the problems ethanol causes in boats! BoatUS began the article by stating that: "in what boating groups hope will be a forerunner of things to come nationally,...."

I hope there are legal experts and others that read this site that can push to make this exemption apply to the other 49 states!

Ric
Suffolk, VA
2008; 232 Gulfstream with twin 150's forced to run on 10% ethanol fuel.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
That sounds good on paper, but it's doable in Oregon because they do not have self-serve gas stations. Therefore, if the non-ethanol gas is available at a regular gas station, there is always an attendant to monitor which fuel is being pumped. New Jersey is the only other state that does not have self-serve gas, so it would be easy to implement there as well.

For the other states to implement the same policy, my guess is that the non-ethanol fuel would only be available at fuel docks, and would be a lot more expensive than the regular gasoline already is at the dock.

izzy

Reaction score
OnoEric said:
That sounds good on paper, but it's doable in Oregon because they do not have self-serve gas stations. Therefore, if the non-ethanol gas is available at a regular gas station, there is always an attendant to monitor which fuel is being pumped. New Jersey is the only other state that does not have self-serve gas, so it would be easy to implement there as well.

For the other states to implement the same policy, my guess is that the non-ethanol fuel would only be available at fuel docks, and would be a lot more expensive than the regular gasoline already is at the dock.

Easy= NEW JERSEY??? :shock:

You must be smokin something :lol:

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
izzy said:
OnoEric said:

Easy= NEW JERSEY??? :shock:

You must be smokin something :lol:

Yeah, my bad. It's early out here ;-)

wilson

Reaction score
no he's right..there would be a carbon tax or something as an excuse to charge money for something that the gov. doesn't do anything for. i work at a refinery, and all we do is add the alcohol to 10% by weight of each truck. what a great time for the states to line their pockets with yet another tax. you can split your gas yourself by adding water, let it split(just the way it use to) then decant the water and phase line off the bottom thru a tap. i know your buying the ethanol than tossing it, but it would be cheaper than a tax that will come with a straight octane option. my next boat will be diesel, you can run veg oil in them no problems, veg oil is cheaper than fuel.