Outrigger pulleys on Lee Jrs

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I've been trying to improve the riggers. The Jrs don't have spreaders to stiffen them so pulling on the lines causes the poles to bend and spring back.

I recently ditched the black cord for black and blue 400# mono and added locking double pulleys at the gunnel.
After awhile, the long rigger mono has worn and is "sticky" at the top.

added Malin single pulleys OP81 to the top eyes

Big improvement!

265 fixes - 2.jpeg
265 fixes - 7.jpeg

Reactions: JJMag and drbatts

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Don't recall just what model it was that I added but they were sailing pulleys from WM and made a HUGE difference in how those lines worked. I also added a short rigger line, as it appears you did, but I only ran mine out to the midway guide eye, would be the one inboard of yours and also added the locking double pulley from Hal-lock. Have you had any issues with the doubles set up that close? I went to the inner eye to get more separation and fill in the space between gunwale rods and outer rigger better but have only run them one season thus far and have no good data by which to judge performance (wasn't a great offshore season for me this year).

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Don't recall just what model it was that I added but they were sailing pulleys from WM and made a HUGE difference in how those lines worked. I also added a short rigger line, as it appears you did, but I only ran mine out to the midway guide eye, would be the one inboard of yours and also added the locking double pulley from Hal-lock. Have you had any issues with the doubles set up that close? I went to the inner eye to get more separation and fill in the space between gunwale rods and outer rigger better but have only run them one season thus far and have no good data by which to judge performance (wasn't a great offshore season for me this year).
I find its better to have the short riggers out farther to separate them from the corner rods that have birds/spreader bars on them. The long riggers are set much farther back and less of an issue with tangles with the short riggers

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Rebuilt my outriggers this year. Eye bolts were replace with welded eye to keep line from getting inside. I use shackles and Harken dual-pulley 16mm blocks on both ends. 400 lb mono. Rupp haylocks.

Here's a tip - make both the short and long the same length. Just don't push the short all the way up. The lines lay better. More importantly they stow better.

Last edited:

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
We have the same outriggers, but just ran the mono through the eye bolts. Do you have any issue with line moving down with the pulleys as you troll? I have heard some folks have issue with the lines moving down, especially in a turn. Just asking....Thanks!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
We have the same outriggers, but just ran the mono through the eye bolts. Do you have any issue with line moving down with the pulleys as you troll? I have heard some folks have issue with the lines moving down, especially in a turn. Just asking....Thanks!

I have Hal-lock pulley at the base. They can "lock" the rigging line.