Outriggers on 228G

wrxhoon

Reaction score
As some of you know I bought a new to me 228 G hard top and she doesn't have outriggers . My current bimini top has gunnel mount taco bases with taco telescopic poles, I install them when I bought the boat.
What do you guys use , hardtop mounted bases or wishbone. I think I prefer wishbone and I have seen one in Australia modified to fit these , I'm still going to use the same poles , Taco telescopic much easier to transport when contracted . The picture shows how this guy fixed a thick piece (1/2") aluminum plate on the hardtop supports and then mounted the wishbone bases on to it. I know the hard top mounted bases are cheaper but not sure how easy they are to use.
Any comments are welcome .
Thanks in advance.
ft7bqlr4hngeeh105770b1744.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
both will do the trick. the wishbones do block some of the walk when up and definitely when down. I installed the top mount tacos on the hardtop, I don't use them a lot so it was better for me to have them out of the way. the telescoping poles are nice as you can collapse them down when not in use. if you get the caddies you can tie up the rigging for a nice clean look when not in use.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have the caddies on mine now . I use the outriggers a lot here, I troll for tune and marlin. I use the boat exclusively off shore .

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have the gunnel mounted bases with the poles along with the line caddies. The bases were already on my boat when I purchased it so I didn't change the setup. No more that I use them, the gunnel mounts work for me on the 228. If I had a bigger boat, Sailfish or Marlin size, I would have either the wishbone or hardtop mounted ones, preferring the hardtop mounts so not to block the walkway forward.
20180915_170739.jpg20180915_173023.jpg

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have the same set up in my 228 vista top now but they can get in the way when fighting a big fish . I wouldn't go to the front to fight a fish so not a big issue . The soft top tubes are in the way now and even the aerials.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
My last boat had lee jr's mounted to the side of the house with 18ft poles. I mounted them myself, Grady provided photos and measurements which was a big help. Access on the inside was pretty good after removing the bolsters. They were solid and preformed well. The location does make getting up to the bow a little more difficult especially since the express walkway is smaller. May not be as big of an issue in a true walkaround setup though.

My 305 has pre-made mounting plates incorporated into the hard top for taco bases, which I installed shortly after buying the boat. I much prefer these to the old wishbone style. They are never in the way, the telescoping poles are much lighter and easier to take on and off and store for the winter. The line caddys also work great for keeping everything neat when collapsed. We will see how they hold up overtime, but right now they work fine and I'm happy with them.

Fishtales

Reaction score
X2. I put the taco topguns on with the telescoping poles and caddies. Nice to get them out of the way when its family time.