Outriggers?

Grady282owner

Reaction score
I have a 282 Sailfish. Anyone have any ideas on outriggers or pics and ease of installation?

Coconut330

Reaction score
There are two types of outriggers that you could use. TACO Hard top mount's or Lee Wishbone style that attach to the side of the cabin..
It depends on your style of fishing. The TACO are telescoping so that they are easy to get out of the way,where the Lee's are more fixed but they can be lowered if needed. If interested I have a set of TACO 350mounts an 18FT poles that I just took of my 330 express and replaced with Lee's. They were only on the boat for about two weeks.

JB

Reaction score
Hi, this is for Coconut330.... or for you georgemjr...
Question: Why change to the Lee?? what was wrong with the TACO..
I have a 95 272 Sailfish and am considering outriggers but do not know much about them but would like to try going after some tuna if i can find the time...
one issue I have is that I need to go under a bridge upon leaving my river, not to low but I want the capability of lowering them when needed..
my buddy said I need 18 footers...

JB

Reaction score
Hi george, I just noticed where you are from... I was thinking of taking a trip with the family this summer to block and the forks... any thoughts about long island? where to stay, slip or hook, resturants, fun marinas for the kids.. any thoughts?

georgemjr

Reaction score
Hey JB,
As far as the outriggers: I think the wishbones are more desirable for a serious - hardcore, frequent fisherman, not sure why though. I want to install the hard-top Taco's on my new (to me) 330 Express. I had the Lee wishbones on my 282 Sailfish. The wishbones are more in the way when you are trying to get to the front of the boat, which is every time you use it. In addition, I had to take them down due to the height when going under certain bridges. The hard top mounted outriggers will do the job of spreading your lines when you fish like this, are never in the way, and don't have to be removed to go under lower bridges. Cruising to Long Island: I am planning, for the first time, to do the Montauk, Block Island run this summer, so I do not have good suggestions, but would be happy to report what I find out (I have friends that have done this yearly). From what I understand, there is only 1 or 2 places to even tie up in Block, so the decision is made for you. I fish/cruise further to the west. If you were willing to go a little further, I have a couple of great recommendations on Fire Island. Family friendly communities, only accesable by boat, and family oriented marinas. 2 I am very familiar with are Ocean Beach (the community) and Atlantic (the marina). There are no cars and many kids, so playgrounds, ice cream shops and candy stores are always buzzing. In addition there are great restuarants and bars (candy stores for the adults). The fishing is better out east (the gut between block and montauk), but it ain't bad here. I'd be happy to share more as the summer draws near.

Bill_N

Reaction score
I have the Lee Jr's on my 265 and a buddy has the Taco's on his HS CC.
It can be a bit of a hassle trying to get the Taco's extended and set-up if you're shorthanded and I think the Lee's are a higher quality system.

Yes, the Lee Jr's extend up alongside the hardtop but it's not a big deal to get around them.

Bill

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Bill_N said:
It can be a bit of a hassle trying to get the Taco's extended and set-up if you're shorthanded Bill

The only time our Taco 15-ft heavy-duty poles have been collapsed is when removing once a year for cleaning and maintenance.

We leave them extended ALL the time. We run with them extended ALL the time. Just keep a little tension on the rigger lines so the poles don't whip around. And we have dozens of trips to the Norfolk Canyon, and thousands of miles under the keel.

So, when it's time to get the spread out I can swing them out to fishing position in about 15 seconds each side. A lot faster than getting side-mounted poles out into position.

And no question about the side mounts eating your legs whenever you try to get past them.

JMHO.. :D

Brian

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've had 2 of the Lee Jr. and loved them. I have close friends with 282s. Both prefer the Lee side mount although one has te Taco top riggers. We discussed last weekend AAMOF. 282s are 18', mine are 19', the Tacos are 15'. If you cruise under bridges the top mounts are very helpful but for fishing everyone I have spoken with prefers the layout style.

I am also not sure if you can do a Hatteras rig with the top mounts. For those not familiar, this uses a gunnel hole with grommet, jam cleat, and sailboat rigging to allow the halyard tension to be adjusted as needed. There is no bungee. Every one around my area is now rigging this way.
As a bonus, the parts are less expensive then the normal rigging kits!

Bill_N

Reaction score
ocnslr said:
We leave them extended ALL the time. We run with them extended ALL the time. Just keep a little tension on the rigger lines so the poles don't whip around. And we have dozens of trips to the Norfolk Canyon, and thousands of miles under the keel.

So, when it's time to get the spread out I can swing them out to fishing position in about 15 seconds each side. A lot faster than getting side-mounted poles out into position.

JMHO.. :D

Brian

The first time we did that we pulled up near a school BFT chasing half-beaks and one of the guys wrapped his line around a rigger while making a cast. I'm not a big fan of having the riggers hanging over the cockpit but if you don't do any casting it's probably OK.

I had a set of Lee T-Top riggers on a Parker Sportcabin and they worked well also. Extremely easy to deploy and they are easy to mount on the h/t without drilling big holes thru the top.