OVERLOOKING THE OBVIOUS

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I was running in last night when all of a sudden-engine shut down. Immediately put out the anchor and allowed the panic to subside. Sounded eerily familiar to when I blew up the Johnnie. When I went to fire it up, I got a nano-revolution of the flywheel and the oil buzzer was sounding. (1st checked oil level and for fouled prop.) I had my 4 legged companion w/ me.
Any guesses?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What motor?

Did you check for gas?

With ignition off, can you turn over motor by hand or wrench at flywheel?

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Ah Bob! I knew I could count on you for a reply. Even more obvious.
Grady pulled safety lanyard out!
The main reason for the post is because I was ready to call Ethan @ SeaTow.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Looks like you got away on the cheap this time!

Very $$ unusual when it comes to anything with boats

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You gotta quit hanging doggie treats from the safety lanyard! :D

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
When I blew up the Johnnie, I did just what you suggested. When the flywheel wouldn't turn I knew something was wrong. Last night sounded the exact same. I didn't want to crank it over again and potentially do more damage-but I knew the Harbor Master or Sea Tow wouldn't come w/o at least trying to fire it up again. When I went to turn the key, the lanyard was dangling.
Could you imagine the embarrassment if Sea-Tow showed up only to have it be the safety lanyard?
My point, I immediately assumed worst-case-scenario but DON'T OVERLOOK THE OBVIOUS!

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
NEXT TIME SOMETHING IS HANGING FROM THE LANYARD IT WON'T BE THE TREAT!

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My chum almost became chum! :lol:
You're right, though. Pulled it right at the end of the jetty!

ahill

Reaction score
I've overlooked the obvious even with 50+ years in boating!
Thought my bilge pump was running it turned out to be the washdown pump not shutting off when the boat was on trailer. They're close in a 272. Found it was the WD only after I turned off the BP & cut its wires!
Next was the WD pump, same symptoms. and it turned out to be the bilge pump! Same thing, cut wire & the pump was still running. Found that the bilge switch was turned to manual. My better half had decided to wipe down the switch panel after washing and flipped the switch by mistake. Suprisingly I didn't mention that to her.
From here on out I'm going to think before reacting. :oops:

seasick

Reaction score
How many times have I shut the engine to drift and then go to start it and nothing happens? Sometimes when I am in a hurry to drop fishing line, I shut the motor with it still in gear. Yup, that neutral saftey safety switch does its job every time.
As mentioned, as soon as the panic subsides, I remember tp check the throttle.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yup, I've done the nuetral safety switch. Many years ago, boat wouldn't start at the ramp on the first day of a tournament. Went into panic mode, tore the engine apart, gave up and called the very nearby dealer. Fifteen minutes later, I was severely humbled when the dealer put it in nuetral and started the engine!

Rob

F18amec

Reaction score
I'll chime in with my story. I was on just inside Chesapeake Bay head out in a moderate chop motoring along faster than was necessary, hit a good size wave and water got sucked into intake and stalled the motor, I pulled the throttle back and when I turned the key...nothing...laynard was still in place and after panic passed, I moved throttle back about 1/2 inch and she fired right up! Thank goodness the guys with me where clueless!!

grady23

Reaction score
That's better then what I did when I first got the boat. I had done some work and wanted to sea trial her. The weather was threatening but I knew I had enough time --- Yeah RIGHT!. I took the boat out of the harbor and looked over my shoulder to see some VERY nasty clouds. I headed back to the ramp to put the boat back on the trailer. Since I was by myself, I knew I would need to be carful getting the boat secured to the dock with the wind blowing at 15+. When I got the boat postioned in the ramp slip, I pulled the throttles back into neutral or so I thought. I jump, grabbed the bow rail only to discover that the boat was now BACKING out of the slip on it's own. With a less then 10.0 leap, I found myself hangging half in/half off the boat. Thank goodness I was able to grab the hardtop frame and pull myself in. You better believe I'm sure the boat is in neutral NOW.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Nothing like that happened to me with a boat, but the embarrassed thing that happened to me was when i bought my brand new BMW motorcycle and went to the caffe to show off, when was time to leave, put the helmet on, start the motor, pull the clutch, put it in gear,let go the clutch, poof... shuts down. I did it a few times and at the same time was turning red(they couldn't see me though through the helmet. At one point this kid comes next me and says"you got to pick up the kick stand pops". The bike had a safety which the salesman never told me about it. None of my other bikes have that.(Harleys)

LittleMrs

Reaction score
My husband did the lanyard thing once (actually twice - two different boats). When he did it with the 265 he could not for the life of him understand how BOTH engines went sour at the same time. I had a feeling it was something simple - and if not, then I was going to buy a few lottery tickets because anyone who could have those kind of odds deserves to win the lottery !