Petit Hydrocoat

seasick

Reaction score
Last year I said that I would report on my second season using Petit Hydrocoat so here is the scoop.
At the beginning of the season, I lightly sanded the bottom paint and applied one coat of Petit Hydrocoat over last years Hydrocoat. On certain areas that were a bit bare, I applied two coats and I applied two coats at the water line and transom. The waters where I dock my boat have lots of slime and barnacles galore on untreated surfaces. Due to several unusual circumstances, I used my boat less this past season than a typical season and it sat for weeks at a time without being used. I pulled the boat about ten days ago and the hull was 100% clear of barnacles. There was slime of course but most of it power washed off. I guess that next season I will do the same treatment, light sanding/scrubbing , touch up of worn spots and then one coat overall and two or more at the waterline and heavy wear points.
Now if that darn Trilux clear spray worked, I wouldn't have all those barnacles on the motor bracket:) The general consensus at my yard is that the Trilux aerosol just doesn't work.
The Hydrocoat works well and it is a lot easier to deal with smell and cleanup, both tools and skin! It just doesn't feel as good going on as the Interlux CSC feels.
I wonder how the Hydrocoat SR performs....

Fishtales

Reaction score
I use it as well. I apply every 2-3 years depending on how it looks. Never a barnacle or issue other than a slime line.
I do get some growth on the motor brackets (indentations where they pivot and near the zinc bars) and some growth on the bottom of the lower unit where it touches the sea. I just stay on top of the latter and clean the other once or twice a year when at anchor and swimming. Hydrocoat works well.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I tried it for the first time this year and am very happy with it. My boat had no bottom paint so I went the whole nine yards with 3 coats of Pettit Epoxy primer, a coat of red Hydrocoat followed by black Hydrocoat to finish it off. It was pretty clean when I hauled and pressure washed it with a small amount red showing around parts of the strakes and chine. I plan to just touch up where I see red in the spring. There were no barnacles on the hull but my sounder sensor was loaded with them. One thing I remember about applying the Hydrocoat was that it had to be mixed very thoroughly. The red can must have been sitting for a year because it took forever to mix it to the point where I could apply it without foaming or bubbling while the black can was practically ready to go with out stirring. (The primer held everywhere - I had sanded the whole hull with 60 or 80 grit on a random orbital sander before I started.)

seasick

Reaction score
onoahimahi said:
I tried it for the first time this year and am very happy with it. My boat had no bottom paint so I went the whole nine yards with 3 coats of Pettit Epoxy primer, a coat of red Hydrocoat followed by black Hydrocoat to finish it off. It was pretty clean when I hauled and pressure washed it with a small amount red showing around parts of the strakes and chine. I plan to just touch up where I see red in the spring. There were no barnacles on the hull but my sounder sensor was loaded with them. One thing I remember about applying the Hydrocoat was that it had to be mixed very thoroughly. The red can must have been sitting for a year because it took forever to mix it to the point where I could apply it without foaming or bubbling while the black can was practically ready to go with out stirring. (The primer held everywhere - I had sanded the whole hull with 60 or 80 grit on a random orbital sander before I started.)

I have MDR Transducer paint on my transom mounted transducer for many years and it works well. There usually is a barnacle or two especially where it is difficult to apply the paint. Two coats are needed.
You are correct about mixing the Hrdrocoat. Stir the heck out of it and stir again. A mixer paddle on a drill helps and you have to stir every few minutes while applying. I use low nap rollers and bristle brushes. I find that the foam rollers don't work well at all.

steveditt

Reaction score
First year also very pleased with the application especially how easy it was to use . Bottom looked great and plan on only touch up and a coat at the water line which I have never been able to do in the past.Also pleased with MDR on the transducer.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I have used Pettit Hydrocoat for many years with great success. I 2 coat the bottom every 2 to 3 years depending if I can see the base coat color showing through the blue. 1 super precaution to take,--- DO NOT LET THE BOAT YARD PRESSURE WASH THE BOTTOM! When you are ready to repaint then pressure wash. A pressure washer will strip a good year or more worth of ablative paint off. I learned this the hard way. I had to change my boat yard, after I left and went to a new yard my old yard finally understood what I wanted and was willing to comply with my requirements.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've used this stuff on various boats for quite some time, now, and it's always done well. Sea Ray uses this product as standard issue on boats that come from the factory already painted, too.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seasick said:
I have MDR Transducer paint on my transom mounted transducer for many years and it works well. There usually is a barnacle or two especially where it is difficult to apply the paint. Two coats are needed.

Thanks for the tip on MDR - I'll give it a shot in the spring...