Polishing Hardtop Frame -- '97 Gulfstream

grady23

Reaction score
Anyone got a really good method or polish for the aluminum hardtop frame? I've got some salt pitting and discoloration I'd like to cleanup.

jehines3

Reaction score
It depends on how bad it is. Mine is in pretty sad shape sicne the PO was on saltwater 100% and probably never washed the boat when he got back mine are pitted up too. I'm planning an assault with some emery cloth to knock down the big stuff and progress to a steel wool finish. once the finish looks good there was a product on here that was supposed to seal them. I'm waiting until I'm in since all my other projects are backed up and trophy season is way too close for another project to do. I'm leary on the steel wool since any fibers left behind could rust on the deck, etc and stain so scotch brite may be the final solution. If you do something even if it does nto work, let us know so we don;t all make similar trial and error. jh

Yamama

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I have good luck with two products....FLITZ and BUFF MAGIC. FLITZ comes in a tube and they also have a sealer paste tube...great working product, but expensive. BUFF MAGIC is my current favorite. It works like jeweler's rouge, and alot cheaper.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I found that Flitz is good at preventing pitting and does get soft deposits off, but will not always get the deep embedded hard stuff off. I polish my hardtop frame and rails with it once a year and it lasts my 6 month season. My rail and hardtop supports have not gotten any worse, but the prior owner did not upkeep them well and I will need to use emery paper to knock some of the hard embedded stuff off to get them to look like I would like them to.

Jas

Reaction score
Grady23

About 80% of my aluminum frame is in pretty good shape and I use Woody’s Wax on that. The results are really great! Puts a “like new” shine on it. Around the top of the frame, is where it is a little pitted and haven’t figured out quite how to attack that issue. Let me know what you decide.

Regards,
Ted

PS- would love to see your rig some time. 1997 Gulfstream with Yamaha 250 out of Annapolis

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I went through this issue a few years ago. I tried flitz, meguiars polish, woody wax, never dull, scotch brite pads and a stainless pot scrubber. None of those products worked so I tried using different grades of aluminum oxide sandpaper, 600 grit and higher. It took the pitting out, however it will also remove the anodized or brushed finish which I thought looked worse. My hardtop frame only has the pitting around the top where the curtain slides in the tracks. I guess the previous owner left the curtains on and they held moisture against the aluminum which caused the corrosion. I just maintain it and try to prevent it from getting any worse. Let us know how you make out.
Pat

grady23

Reaction score
Wow --- You guys arn't givin me much hope! I'm going to try and contact a metalurgist (sp) I know that just retire from the Naval Ship Reasearch and Development Center. This guy has been around metal for over 55 years and if there is a way to clean it, weld it or whatever -- He knows it. I'll keep you posted as to what I find out.
I've avoided the sandpaper thing just because of the issues mentioned above. Once the anodizing is removed, I don't think there is much you can do except constantly maintain the metal.

Seahunter

Reaction score
I've tried all the tricks but there is not a lot you can do with aluminum once it gets pitted and lifts the anodize.

Woody wax and bronze wool worked about as well as anything.

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just used the Woody wax CPR kit. Applied the woody wax. Used bronze wool to work it on the aluminum t-top. Let it sit overninght and wiped it off the next day. I was very pleased with results. Boat is two years old and previous owner did not wash aluminum t-top especially top near canvas so slight pitting occurred though it did not remove it completely it is noticebly looking much better. I will try another round of the same before putting on the sealer wax which is last step of cpr kit.