Pompanette armrest discoloration

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2004 265 Express with the center helm Pompanette chair. Great chair but the armrests are discoloring- black streaks, blobs. I have read on this site about issues with these arm rests in this year. I talked with Grady and at one time they would replace them for free but they have run out of them.
Has anyone had any success in cleaning them? I have tried bleach, oxyclean, etc with no luck.
There are repalcements skins for sale on ebay- anyone try them?
How about vinyl spray coatings?

They are held on with roll pins which are annoying to get at- any thoughts?
Thanks

Reactions: Stevebenza

shoretogo

Reaction score
I purchased a pair from Taylor Marine last year. Very easy to install. Spread the glue, quickly place the new cover over the old and you are finished. The glue sets up quickly - so you have to be really fast. I think the cost was about $135. Good Luck - John

Fishtales

Reaction score
What a scam for that price. Should be free from Pompanette as that is a defect or material selection issue as far as I'm concerned.
The rubber covers make the arms grab your shirt and just about anything else when you bump into them. They look good, will stand up and are easy to install though.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree- they should make good on the covers, since they knew it is a problem with the armrest.
I've been experimenting with two white vinyl sprays that are made to recolor or coat plastics. One is Krylon Fusion; the other is made for coating leather and plastic shoes/boots to change the color. It's called Meltonian.
I have a black vinyl cover that I'm trying to coat. I applied two light coats of each spray, one product on each side of the cover. The first coat covered the black cover quite well and the second coat made it so that no black is showing. After letting it dry the recommended time, the coating was smooth and I could not scratch off the coating. I plan to see which color best matches the chair and then give it a try on the armrest. The trick will be to figure out how to get the armrest off - the roll pin is tough to get off.
I'll report back once it's done and send some pictures. It might take awhile because the boat is put away at a remote location.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have you called GW Customer Service? Suntan lotion caused it. And, at one point, GW was replacing them for free. It happened to my 226, and one phone call was all it took. The replacements glue on over the old ones.

Grady282owner

Reaction score
I have a 2006 282 sailfish and my armrests as well have the discoloration black blobs etc. on them. I contacted Grady-White and they did not say anything about replacing them they asked me to send pictures to them which I did and they gave me suggestions on cleaners to use. I used everything they stated and more however they still look exactly the same. I guess just have to deal with it.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I did talk with Eddie at Grady who tried to be helpful but there seems to be nothing they can do. Pompanette sent them some replacement covers, which Grady provided for free as long as they had them. Once they ran out (early in 2011, I think he said), all he could advise was to see my dealer to buy them. Might as well buy them on line at a discount.
I think this spray coating will work- stay tuned.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don't know about everyone else but I usually have dirty hands on the boat. Fixing something, fish stuff, etc. Where'd you find those sleeves on ebay?

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Max, these look like the foam stockers and the same thing will happen. I recall seeing something that fit snug and I believe laced from the bottom. You could take them off and throw them in the washer. Just can't remember where I saw them. :hmm

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I contacted Pompanette, the maker of the chair. They will provide the armrest covers for $30 a pair plus shipping (it cost me $11 to Mass.) They said these won't have the discoloration problem and are simple to apply. I think it's worth a try for $41.
Contact is Gladdy- (954) 525-6367

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just the year and boat model. He indicated that the replacement skins are the same for essentially all the seats.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The replacement sleeves look great but be prepared - everytime you walk by them they end up grabbing your tee shirts - they are like a magnet for cotton fabric - drives me nuts

nuketech007

Reaction score
Anyone get pompanette replacement cushions or new cushions with memory foam or something more cushion?

Fishtales

Reaction score
What information did Pompanette need if any?

Probably the chair type. There is 2001 GW model Deluxe, 2006 GW Deluxe2 and an earlier late 1990s GW model can't recall. The arm covers go on the Deluxe version. Take a pic of your chair.

ltid8732

Reaction score
try ZEP mold and mildew remover, you can get it at lowes
i have used it and it works incredible, just let it sit and when the stain disappears wash with fresh soap and water

Fishtales

Reaction score
that really is amazing... they look like new.