Portable Head - 2006 228G Seafarer

pensagrady

Reaction score
The head in our Seafarer is connected through the compartment wall with two hoses. I don't know if it has a macerator or not. The owners manual has directions for vacuuming or overboard removal and directs you to a valve in the Starboard storage compartment. I have looked high and low in all the storage compartments in the cabin and can find no valve. Can anyone point me to the right place?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Does you head look like an all plastic porta potti, or is the bowl porcelain?

pensagrady

Reaction score
I didn't touch the bowl, but it looks like the whole thing is plastic. It has two black hoses attached that go thru the wall. But no valves anywhere I can see.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sounds like you have a porta potti with a pump out option. One hose is large 1-1/2 in, the other small, like half inch.

There is a electric macerator pump that pumps out to sea via the bottom of the hull, where there is a shutoff valve. If there is a deck pump out also, then there has to be a Y valve too, between toilet and macerator in the 1 1/2 in hose run.

pensagrady

Reaction score
Thanks BobP

That's exactly what I thought. The two hoses are there just like you said. But if I reach as far as I can, nothing but smooth hoses. There is a vacuum out opening in the walkaround, but I can't find a pump or valve anywhere. I'm worried it is rigged with the vacuum out opening only, without the macerator or sea discharge.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Pensagrady,
Your boat may not have the macerator and discharge. There are three head options currently offered on the 228.
1. Portable Head ie Porta Potti
2. Portable Head w/ deck pump out (maybe what you have)
3. Portable Head w/ in line macerator and overboard discharge and deck pump out.
Those of us in fresh water cannot use the in line macerator and must have the valve physically locked so we seldom order the boat that way. I would imagine that if you can't find the valve for the overboard discharge fairly obviously, you don't have it. The good news is you can still have the head vacuumed out at a pump out station which beats the fire out of having to remove the porti potti and dumping it on land! I'd rather not become a "honey wagon" technician!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Like Capt Chris said, if so, go under the bottom of your hull forward, is there a thru hull fitting there ? I don't think it would be on the side of the hull, it would be near the keel.

If there is no macerator pump out to sea, you can add one. Or convert the toilet to true porta potti, and carry it off the boat.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm guessing you have the deck pump out head. Two hoses lead from it. One is a vent (located on the outside of the starboard side amidships. The other leads to the deck pump out, which is on the starboard walkway to the foredeck.

Brad1

Reaction score
pensagrady said:
The head in our Seafarer is connected through the compartment wall with two hoses. I don't know if it has a macerator or not. The owners manual has directions for vacuuming or overboard removal and directs you to a valve in the Starboard storage compartment. I have looked high and low in all the storage compartments in the cabin and can find no valve. Can anyone point me to the right place?

I have the same set up in my '03 226. Like Parthery said, the larger hose is for the pump out (no valve, just a removable cap on the deck). And I'm pretty sure the other one is indeed for a vent (which again, would not require a valve). Other than that, it's the same as a porta-poti. You have to remove the cap on the top of the tank to fill the tank with water.

pensagrady

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks all for the input. I think you've figured out what I have. I was hoping to find it had the macerater (I bought the boat used is why I don't know these things).

I guess all i need now is a gun on board to threaten anyone who thinks of using this thing. I seems like it would be a nasty mess to clean up.

Do most marinas have the vacuum stations. I've had a boat at my dry storage marina and have never noticed anything like that.....I haven't looked for it, but haven't seen it. I will ask them.

Thanks again for all the input.

gerrys

Reaction score
Most marinas that sell fuel waterside have vacuum pumpouts. It's a real simple deal, just remove the cap on the deck, screw in the fitting supplied by the marina, attach the hose and open the vacuum valve. Do it once and you're an expert. Keep some throwaway surgical gloves on board to keep from handling the hose and fitting with your bare hands. :)