Postage

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Can anyone tell me why postage from the US to Australia is so expensive.

Looking to get some hull striping from Hullstripes.com. A 50ft multi stripe roll is US$37. Not too bad. Postage US$100!!?
Looking for replacement plastic rod holders that sit in front of the live bait tank. Taylor Marine US$27. Postage US$138.
There doesn’t seem to be any realtionship between size or price and postage.
A US$16 clip. US$373 postage. It’s like they are just using a random number generator.

I have a Land Rover and buy a lot of items from the UK. That postage is what I would call normal and consistent.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think they look at how much disposable income the average citizen has and charges accordingly. Same thing with the drug prices in our country. They know you got it and they want it. It's just like buying gas at a station in a real ritzy neighborhood. It will always be more than the ones around Walmart. There is sure nothing honorable about a lot of business dealing here.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That’s sort of what I was thinking. It’s all about the domestic market but if you are stupid or desperate enough to pay what is being asked then they will sell internationally.

I have used some US vendors with sensible postage rates but they seem to make up a very small minority.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have a buddy stateside gather all your items up and put in one box for the ride across the pond. One time shipping cost. I've also found shipping through the US Post Office cheaper than UPS or FedEx to ship to AU.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
2 words....Amazon Prime....or your Australian equivalent...

Its not the post office.Their rates are standard and you can see them on www.usps.com.
Its the vendor deciding how much they are going to up-charge.

There might be a tariff on certain import products imposed by Australia.

Don't they have that stuff in Australia?
We get it from China, why can't you?;)

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I don't know why you would bother with the plastic rod holders, replace them with S/S , much better . That's what I did , I was lucky to sell my plastic ones .
Like KY said engage a shipping agent, have the items send there they will pack them all in one box , price is reasonable and very quick .
I can't help you with stripes but if you want to change your old rub-rail , I have a brand new one in the box to suit your boat.
thumbnail

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't know why you would bother with the plastic rod holders, replace them with S/S , much better . That's what I did , I was lucky to sell my plastic ones .
Like KY said engage a shipping agent, have the items send there they will pack them all in one box , price is reasonable and very quick .
I can't help you with stripes but if you want to change your old rub-rail , I have a brand new one in the box to suit your boat.
thumbnail
Did you replace the 4 plastic rod holders in front of the live well with s/s ones? Do you have any pics?
How much for the rub rail? Is it the new style with the stainless steel strip.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Did you replace the 4 plastic rod holders in front of the live well with s/s ones? Do you have any pics?
How much for the rub rail? Is it the new style with the stainless steel strip.
I put a picture up but was removed here you go again. . I swapped the plastic ones with S/S on both boats even thou they were still like new on my current boat. The rub rail is the same as the one on your boat not the later model S/S. It is the genuine item.
I'm open to reasonable offers if you are interested.

Attachments

• Rod holders.jpg
    Rod holders.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 6