Power Assist on a 2007 Sailfish 282?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Has anyone added Seastar power assist steering to a 282 Sailfish?

My local Grady dealer's 'expert' says the Sailfish is not a candidate for this option. In his experience, there is no place dry enough. So the dealer would do the work, but not warranty the pump.

The dealer farms this work out to an electronics guy who apparently has expertise with these pumps. The Grady dealer originally quoted a price of $3,200 to do the work. But after this expert looked at the boat, the price went to $4,600. A complicating factor is the boat has a 2007 Raymarine autopilot to tie into.

I said no to that quote with no warranty.

So I'm curious if anyone else has added the Seastar pump and, if so, where? And did it last reasonably well?

Problem for me is I have some bad discs in my neck and steering the twin 250s affects them whereas my old single F300 didn't.

I just bought the used boat. It had a very small power steering fluid leak, which my Grady dealer fixed. They say the steering checks out normal and I trust them.

Thanks for any feedback from folks who have added power assist.

Rob

jigstrike

Reaction score
I have a Marlin with hydraulic steering. We replaced the helm pump last year and it steers super easy. I can turn hard over to hard over with 1 finger. Not sure if power steering could do much more.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks. Now you have me wondering. Could it be that simple (and relatively less expensive)?

I found the Raymarine autopilot pump today and I’m also wondering if that little pump could be hampering things. That pump is mounted behind a panel on the starboard side of the aft berth. It looked quite high and dry to me. Looked to me like the new Seastar pump with autopilot pump on-board could just about plug and play in its place.

Need to arrive at a solution to make this boat usable for me.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You could have multiple things working against you. From your comments about your dealer and the 'expert', that would be the first place to start. Sounds like you're not getting the warm and fuzzy's from them. Are you a longtime customer of theirs or just start with this 282? The response from them seems less than professional or helpful to me for a good customer of theirs. Almost like car dealers, "You didn't buy from me, I'm not going to work on your car". I'd recommend a second opinion. I don't use my Grady dealer to work on mine, I use them for Grady specific parts that I install myself, my motor work and repower down the road will be done by my trusted Yamaha dealer that is half a mile down the road.

Just put a new helm on mine last month, granted I'm just a single, but the steering response is much lighter. My original felt like it would bind at times. My original fluid was terrible, dark brown and nasty. I flushed my whole system with new Seastar fluid and bled it out. It still has some play in it, not as tight as I've seen other systems, but better than what I started with. The ram is probably tired in the back if my helm was in that bad of shape, but I'll make do with it until I repower as the current steering ram is for F225 only.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think highly of the dealer, but I'm thinking they put too much reliance on this outside expert.

We've been a customer of the dealership for 26 years and bought three new Gradys in that time. But I went back there today with photos of the 2007 Raymarine autopilot pump. Service manager noted that the 12-year old pump looked dry and dusty with no corrosion. He is going to talk with his expert.

I suggested not to bother, I'd rather buy the pump myself, get the warranty and have them install it. Dealer said he would still like to hear what his guy says about this location.

u0VLcIg.jpg

2qdpuO1.jpg

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looks like a good location being its condition and the age.

Was just checking about your dealer. Yes, you should be well taken care of. I'd also want a warranty on it as well.

Keep us updated on the outcome after the expert weighs in again.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have a Marlin with hydraulic steering. We replaced the helm pump last year and it steers super easy. I can turn hard over to hard over with 1 finger. Not sure if power steering could do much more.

the power assist steering is an upgrade that prob came with your boat. the pump is behind the helm kick plate. I would think it would fit in the sailfish too.

Capnjim7

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I don't get the dry enough comment Rob. I owned two different Sea Hunt 260 's which came as an option with the hydraulic power assist to the Sea Star and were mounted on the wall in the step down head; and there are certainly plenty more dry compartments on the 282 to hang it in. The 260 was indeed a pleasure to operate with one finger and my 282 w/ 225s is a tad stiff as well with standard Sea Star. I would just check with Seastar Solutions to see if they have a dealer in your area that can at least address the issue with wisdom. I'd be interested in knowing as well ..Jim

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grady dealer has decided that they can install the power assist themselves, i.e., no outside expert, at the originally quoted price.

Not really sure what skills the expert would bring that the dealer doesn't already have. Dealer works on rigging hydraulics for steering, engines and trim tabs. And certainly connecting up components to power supply. Maybe it is the presence of the old Raymarine autopilot that gave them pause.

I presume this means the 'expert' still wouldn't warranty the install on a 282.

In any case, I'll report back as to whether I get the "finger tip" steering Seastar advertises.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
To bring this to closure, got the boat back with the power assist. Wow, what a difference! Changes the complexion of the boat for me.

Thought I would hear the pump, but, so far, I haven't.

Rob

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yea. The PA steering is a nice upgrade. Especially at slow speeds.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I went from a 2.4 SeaStar to a 1.4 SeaStar. That 62% more power with the hydraulic but it’s slower per rotation of the steering wheel.