power tilt problems 94 sailfish

jmphoto

Reaction score
I have twin 1994 175 hp mercs today I was lowering both engines the port side went right down the the other engine stopped half way down it came right back up but will not go down . both controls at the helm and at the engine activate the pumps to go up but not down. whats with this?

gw204

Reaction score
Have you checked the fluid level? Is there any indication of a leak around the trim/tilt rams?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It sounds like a valve isn't opening. I don't know too much about Merc trims but if it has a dual ram (one for tilt and one for trim like Yami), it sounds like your tilt ram goes in but the trim ram isn't moving.

Is there a manual release valve you can try? And as Brian said check the fluid level.

94Sailfish

Reaction score
I'm sure you're smarter than this but I'll mention it anyway. Maybe someone engaged the engine's manual support lever. That's probably not likely though since your engine's going down half-way.

jmphoto

Reaction score
thanks everyone the problem has become intermittent which makes me think it is a electrical contact problem I will be going through and clean all the associated connectors

mrzeeno98

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 96 Sailfish

Quite coincidentally, a relay died on one engine about the same time the hydraulic assembly began leaking on the other. We were anchored in shallow water for a picnic on the beach when it happened and we manually lowered the engines to get back to port. The relay was a simple fix ($15 part). Replacing the whole trim/tilt assembly on the other engine was NOT!