Preparing to go offshore - Atlantic Ocean

UCPA111

Reaction score
In the summer of 2020, I intend to trailer my boat (22' seafarer) to Murrell's Inlet, SC and go offshore. I've been out of that inlet many times over the past 30 years on other boats. I am curious what suggestions folks may have for safety equipment. I expect we'll stick with 35 miles or less off shore.

Thoughts on:
- Epirb (brand/model recommendations/best place to purchase). I feel this is a must.
- Life raft? I am thinking of something compact. 4 person? Recommendations?
- Spare anything else (We have marine radio on boat and a hand held).
- Sea anchor

I appreciate any insight. Looking to make the list and then prepare over the winter.

Thanks!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd be a little nervous with that size boat to be honest. The weather can change fast. Do you have twins or a kicker?
You really need to be prepared.

I'd want:
- EPIRB with built in GPS.
- Probably a valise raft. I'd get one with a roof.
- Ditch bag. All your gear (flares, PLB, first aid kit, water, snacks etc)
- Wood plugs and some Stay afloat.
- Sat phone if you can borrow or rent.
- Type1 PFDs.

What do you have for cover?

bFransen

Reaction score
Took my 228 out of Hatteras. Like everyone, you pick your days.

Our safety inventory included an
--EPIRB (Nice one, there are different kinds. You can even rent one from West Marine)
--Two radios
--Wax ring (always on the boat, but I think they're better than plugs for versatility in sealing cracks and holes, not just through hulls that are leaking.
--First aid kit
--I had something for flotation beyond life jackets but don't think it was a full blown life raft.
--BoatUS tow boat insurance (only to 30 mines though). They appreciate if you tell them when you're going to be going out of your area to the ocean.

At the end of the day, don't go if others aren't. When starting out, stay within radio distance to Coast Guard. Not sure about Murrell's, but at Hatteras they have a large tower. Your VHF antenna matters. Know what kind(s) you have and plan accordingly.

Above all, know your limits and don't let others stress you out. There will be someone who will try to talk you out of anything no matter how risk controlled you've made it.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
In the right weather, a well maintained 22' Seafarer with a single is perfectly capable of fishing 60 miles offshore.

I'll be a contrarian here and say that a life raft is overkill for your situation. They cost thousands and require recertification.
Offshore life jackets are a good investment instead of the cheap one's that everyone seems to have.
They take up space though.

A PLB in lieu of an EPIRB is an economical alternative for small boaters and it is useful for hiking and skiing also.
If you go with an EPIRB the GlobalFix V4 has a 10 year USER REPLACEABLE battery. Thats the one you want.

I'm not familiar with Murrell's Inlet.
Know your inlet. Lake Erie doesn't have tides so you might not have experience reading an inlet and running a standing wave.
Some inlets are crazy dangerous on an outgoing tide even when the seas are flat.
You could go out a beautiful inlet and come back to an ugly mess.

Now think about fishing gear....

Reactions: UCPA111

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just make sure you bring enough good sense to turn around if/when you see the weather turning. Best of luck.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
All info given is spot on. I don't hesitate to take my 228 out of Charleston but I also pick my days. The boat is more than capable, just know your limits.

ACR is a top notch brand regarding either EPIRB or PLB. I'll be purchasing a EPIRB before my next offshore excursion. Been flirting with disaster by not having one onboard before now. I have unlimited on my TowBoatUS and have a good working VHF and 8' antenna mounted on top of my hardtop. Handheld VHF needs to be in ditch bag. Life raft would be a little much, some good Type 1 life jackets would work. Might change my mind if I ever have to spend time floating waiting on help.

deepdesire

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Since when is too much when it comes to family and crew safety. Four person offshore valise takes up little to no room and can be purchased for about a grand. Check with BOE. If you have to enter the water you'll remember this conversation. Rafts are a lot easier to spot than a head in a type 1 jacket. Good luck!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
As a retired USCG pilot, I worry about hypothermia. If you are unlucky and must be in the water for more than a couple hours, take a wet suit, exposure suit or survival suit if you don't have a raft. An EPIRB or PLB may limit your exposure before rescue, but all it takes is an aircraft problem or boat issue to extend your exposure time. The Atlantic water can be quite cool, even in the summer. Anything below 80-85 degrees makes you pretty hypothermic after a few hours. Most Gradys will give you a place to get out of the water even if capsized, but hanging on to an overturned hull becomes difficult with any kind of a sea. I've seen a few very cold survivors and located a few that were not survivors (in PFDs) due to hypothermia. A raft or immersion suits are important!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
This is from a post I made on THT, on a similar topic. It was a list of what we had on our offshore boats.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Real, Type 1 life jackets, replacing all those cheap Type 3 jackets. Yes, the Type 3 meet the legal requirements, but if you're really concerned about safety....

Until we relocated to SWFL, we regularly fished 70nm out from Virginia Beach. Now we go 60nm off Sanibel.

Type 1 life jackets
Two fixed VHF radios, with separate antennas, and separate power supplies
EPIRB
Ditch Bag with first aid kit, SOLAS flares, handheld VHF, handheld GPS, water, space blanket
Revere Coastal Commander 6 person life raft in valise, current certification
Two mounted MFDs
Primary 22# anchor, 600 ft of rode & 30ft of chain
Secondary Danforth 12H anchor with 200 feet of rode (can be added to primary rode)
BoatUS unlimited towing coverage
58 years of boating and sea experience
Safety briefing for all crew, particularly new folks
All seacocks work, are exercised regularly, and stay closed unless actually needed. (An open livewell scoop with a broken hose will ruin your day)

Sunscreen, hats, warm clothes in case you get stuck out after dark, toilet paper.. and likely more I can't remember off the top of my head.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

YMMV

Brian

Last edited:

deepdesire

Reaction score
Model
Islander
To UCPA
Your vessel is more then capable of venturing 35 miles. Offshore fishing is fun and rewarding in a small boat but understand the risk.Keep her well maintained, know her limits and yours. Be prepared and have fun.

Reaction score
Took my 228 out of Hatteras. Like everyone, you pick your days.

Our safety inventory included an
--EPIRB (Nice one, there are different kinds. You can even rent one from West Marine)
--Two radios
--Wax ring (always on the boat, but I think they're better than plugs for versatility in sealing cracks and holes, not just through hulls that are leaking.
--First aid kit
--I had something for flotation beyond life jackets but don't think it was a full blown life raft.
--BoatUS tow boat insurance (only to 30 mines though). They appreciate if you tell them when you're going to be going out of your area to the ocean.

At the end of the day, don't go if others aren't. When starting out, stay within radio distance to Coast Guard. Not sure about Murrell's, but at Hatteras they have a large tower. Your VHF antenna matters. Know what kind(s) you have and plan accordingly.

Above all, know your limits and don't let others stress you out. There will be someone who will try to talk you out of anything no matter how risk controlled you've made it.

BFransen! You earned a "like" from me! Wax Ring is genius, I have heard before but didn't realize what they were until now it just cliked and they are so cheap at local H Depot....might as well carry 2 in a Ziploc
Thank you

Fishtales

Reaction score
Stay Afloat is a key item to have.

UCPA111

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Lots of good advice. We're definitely not interested in getting stuck in rough weather. Having grown up on Lake Erie, we appreciate short wave period, stacked waves that can happen quickly and how to handle it. Picking days and having good contacts and gear is critical. I feel we understand the boat characteristics very well, which is also important for understanding how to ride waves and wind conditions.

I do have a nice 8' antenna on the hard top and from my time on Lake Erie it seems I get good distance out of it.

We've run into Murrells Inlet when storms have hit and the inlet entrance can get wild. I can appreciate the need to time the run in and keep the boat on the right side (not stuffing the bow). Also, placing people strategically in the boat to offer best performance when those situations require.

I do have BoatUS but intend to upgrade for the trip to the Ocean.

I'll start picking away at the list over the winter/spring time. I appreciate the insight!