Props for Z200's

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I know a lot of discussions on props, but want some real world experience here on a couple of thoughts I have.

Thinking that I might benefit by moving to 19 pitch from my current 17 pitch. How much, that is the question and hope to find someone with same hull design that has the 19's to see how they perform before I spend over $1200.00 to try them and get stuck with them.

My current results with the twin 200 HPDI's:
When normal load, the boat turns 5800rpms and get 49mph. That is 300 rpm's over maximum recommended. Optimum cruise is approx. 30mph at 1.8mpg on a good day.
I saw a Grady 23 model hull in performance test that used 19 pitch props,but think their diameter was smaller.
Their performance was 52mph with 2.6mpg which is pretty impressive. Boat is approx. 1000#'s lighter and 2' shorter.Same beam. These were not SWSII props.
My takeoff is amazing with the current 17 pitch. It will be on plane almost instantly. I think near 3 seconds or so. Very powerful takeoff.
So, guessing that 19 pitch would put me at or near 5300 rpms and put top end right at 50-51 and would like to see the mpg results.
Cruise at 27-30 is ideal running in most seas for me, so think 19's would keep me there.

Also, thinking move to the SDS series props. Would have to buy the SDS washer for them, but anyone have experience with these? Bad or good? Worth it?

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
My Grady 272 Sailfish has twin HPDI 200 yamaha power. I went up from 17 to 19 pitch and added a small amount of cup. My RPMs dropped down 350 rpm to 5400 and the boat picked up 2.75 mph. My boat is bigger and heavier than yours but the motors seemed tochange like the prop change. I did not notice any difference in economy at 3500 rpm cruise.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That is good info. Thanks. Were these the SWSII props by chance?

hansk

Reaction score
Checkout propgods.com a lot of good info over there, made my decision much easier, pretty sure they also let you "try out" props.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you are turning 300RPM above the top of the rating band, then you are underpropped. An increase of 2" in pitch should bring you just where you should be.

gw204

Reaction score
Keep an eye on Ebay for props. I've bought multiple sets on there in great condition and WAY cheaper than new. If they don't work, you turn around and sell them what you paid if not more.

Look into Merc props as well. Mirage Plus worked VERY well on my old Sailfish.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks folks....

So Marty, you are saying that a prop shop can change the pitch like say from 17 to 19? I guess that is possible but at $250, it they don't do as well, then have to put them back again to the 17. I am betting that 19 is the right way to go though based upon the RPM's, but after watching the Ship Shape TV prop testing they just went through, when they went from 17 to 18, slight improvement, but not enough to warrant a change. Then they went to 19's and scrubbed the test results as the RPM's were too low for their motor, but those Etechs rev to 6000 rpm's whereas the HPDI's only up to 5500. Their 19's spun up at 5250 on the show and the 17's originally were 5800 like mine. I think they need 18-1/2" pitch..... :mrgreen:

Considered PropGods, as others have posted great success with them in the trials and settle on which prop to use for their specific setup, but since they are in Florida, not sure how to easily swap out without heavy shipping charges. Wish I was local to them and would do it with no hesitation. If I could find someone that I can purchase from and return if not satisifed, would be great. I did that once with my old OMC Seadrive from Cabela's. They took it back no issue, of course the return looked like the day I received it as I returned it clean.

Was hoping for some real world experience with same model boat and motors in case someone else out there has the 19's on their 252G.

Also, seems that it would make sense to go with the SDS system over other possible props to reduce the impact in shifting. Would consider other brands, but then I would not have the SDS benefit I don't believe.