Props

burchfish

Reaction score
Am getting a 226 with a Suzuki 300 HP. Was just wondering whether i would get much benefit from changing the standard Propellor. My use is purely fishing x pulling lures so looking at 9 to 30 knots as my ideal speed ( & best fuel efficency range ) . Low grunt and acceleration aren't that important for me ??

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you don't get the answer from the guys on this forum, I suggest calling Bay Propeller in Chesapeake, VA, and speak with Max. His advice for me was right on the money, and his price for the prop I got was one of the most competitive prices on the 'net. Additionally, some of the members of this forum have been quite pleased with the advice and service they received at Propgods.com in Florida. Hope this helps.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
You really need to get the boat wet and then get familiar with how she performs under your feet before getting a new prop. I repropped last year and because I knew my boat I knew what I wanted to improve performance wise. I then studied what changing props would or would not do to how the boat would run. Get to know your boat first because it may run quite fine as it currently is rigged.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
You really need to get the boat wet and then get familiar with how she performs under your feet before getting a new prop. I repropped last year and because I knew my boat I knew what I wanted to improve performance wise. I then studied what changing props would or would not do to how the boat would run. Get to know your boat first because it may run quite fine as it currently is rigged.

Jeff_R

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
To get to the best prop you should do a full performance test first and record your findings as a baseline.

You should record amount of fuel, # of people aboard, sea conditions and temps. You also need to record what prop you are using, where your motor is mounted and the results it netted you. Remember too, that the height your motor is mounted at has a great effect on a props performance. Sometimes you might have the right prop but it is under performing because your motor is mounted to low. Your anti-ventilation plate should be above the running water surface while on plane (example). If this is not the case then raise it and see how your prop performs during cruising and top end before jumping into another propeller. Raising the motor can also increase fuel economy...

Here are some of my past recordings to hone in on the right Stainless Prop of one of my Whalers. This is the kind of data you should collect when starting to search for the right set up for your boat.

Example:
Calm water with very light wave action. The air temp was in the low 60's boat was loaded with operator (200lbs) and about 16 to 18 gallons of fuel. The was no wind and the all the speeds were measured on a GPS. The motor on the boat is a 1974 85-HP Evinrude Starfilte V4 turning an aluminum OMC 13x19 aluminum prop with the motor mounted on the bottom hole. I ran the motor trimmed out / up fully with the bow is high. Final two way numbers:

RPM - Boat Speed
2500: 16.3mph
3000: 22.2mph
3500: 28.8mph
4000: 34.5mph
4500: 38.4mph
4650: 39.5mph WOT

Gathering this type of data set will help guide you in the best possible direction on where you need to go and give those professionals who know props the real info they need to get you into the right prop.

For myself I always go to a friend from Continuouswave.com and Thehulltruth.com named Tom W Clark. Is really is a prop guru who knows what prop best fits the boat, motor and mounting height combination for your use. He is a stiletto / turbo prop rep and is a great resource. If would like his contact I would glad to provide it.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have been dealing with Max at Bay Propeller for years. You will find him to be knowledgeable, friendly and dedicated to finding the correct prop for your rig, and the way you use it.

The comments above about getting to know your boat and taking careful readings of RPM and speed are all great advice.

And make sure you know the correct procedure for finding your WOT RPM, as you will certainly need an accurate measure of that parameter.

Brian

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
In a perfect world, if there is such a thing, here's what I would look for:

- smooth water,
- only motor trim for best RPM and speed, tabs only to correct any list,
- max RPM in the upper range, right at max if lightly loaded,
- vent plate ever so slightly above water level when solidly on plane.

Once you have a baseline, then you can begin to tweak if desired. A fuel management system will allow you accurately determine best cruise on any given day, and it will change slightly based on conditions and loading. Fuel Formulas for what is 'needed' are great, but that's theory and the above is factual ...