Props

Gradyfisher01

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I recently purchased a 1995 Grady white Explorer. I really powered the boat with a Yamaha 250 4 strokes. Does anyone know what size propeller the boat should have for optimal use??

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
What prop do you have now and what is you max rpm and speed?

Gradyfisher01

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
15 3/4 x 15 She is maxed out at 5500 RPM at a 33 mph.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I recently purchased a 1995 Grady white Explorer. I really powered the boat with a Yamaha 250 4 strokes. Does anyone know what size propeller the boat should have for optimal use??
You said "strokes", as in plural... I assume you just mean one engine, though, correct?

Something's not jiving - it's not your prop. Your engine's max RPM is probably 6,000 - can you confirm?

I suspect you either have the engine mounted too low or you're not trimming the engine up enough as you go WOT.

Again, it's not the prop.

Last edited:

Gradyfisher01

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Yes. Only one engine. Yes your right, I didn’t trim up. Thank you.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Are you sure about that 5,500? I just double checked on Yamaha's website and it definitely lists it at 6,000.

OK - do the test again, but keep trimming up. If the engine is mounted properly, you may get to the point where you reach the 6,000 (assuming, again) and still have trim and/or throttle left because you're actually able to go higher than 6,000. If that's the case, then a 17" is probably more like the correct prop. It's OK to go a bit over 6,000 for a short burst to check things out - sort of to try and figure out how many RPM's over Max you are to better figure out what prop to go with.

What RPM does your rev limiter kick in at?

Gradyfisher01

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I tried 17-T Yesterday.that’s all the information about the prop, I don’t know the pitch. It performed about the same. Basically a mile or 2 per hour less.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
That speed seems like it if off by a lot. I hit 44 with the original '93 225 and I'm a little above that with a 300 Zuke but need another prop as I'm only hitting 5500.

What hole on the motor are you using? Do you have bottom paint?

Gradyfisher01

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I think your right about The speed being way off. The max RPM on the engine is 6000 and I can only get the engine to rev up to 5500 RPM. And yes I have bottom paint. And the engine is new with 20 hours on it. I re-powered the boat and had a dealer install the engine. They use the same bolt holes as the original engine. So I know that the engine is mounted in the correct height.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
OK, so you double checked and it's definitely a 6,000 max spec, right?

You mentioned you weren't trimming up. Have you corrected that? Meaning, you have to keep trimming up till speed no longer increases or the prop starts to ventilate (or you going to high over the max rpm).

Are you measuring speed with GPS or the dash gauge? Use GPS. Dash gauges (the pitot) can get clogged up and not be accurate.

From what's been posted, so far, it sounds like the issue is simply "user error" :) Which is good, since it doesn't cost anything to fix it!

Gradyfisher01

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Are you sure about that 5,500? I just double checked on Yamaha's website and it definitely lists it at 6,000.

OK - do the test again, but keep trimming up. If the engine is mounted properly, you may get to the point where you reach the 6,000 (assuming, again) and still have trim and/or throttle left because you're actually able to go higher than 6,000. If that's the case, then a 17" is probably more like the correct prop. It's OK to go a bit over 6,000 for a short burst to check things out - sort of to try and figure out how many RPM's over Max you are to better figure out what prop to go with.

What RPM does your rev limiter kick in at?
The engine is supposed to max out at 6000. I have to trim up still but can’t try that till tomorrow
OK, so you double checked and it's definitely a 6,000 max spec, right?

You mentioned you weren't trimming up. Have you corrected that? Meaning, you have to keep trimming up till speed no longer increases or the prop starts to ventilate (or you going to high over the max rpm).

Are you measuring speed with GPS or the dash gauge? Use GPS. Dash gauges (the pitot) can get clogged up and not be accurate.

From what's been posted, so far, it sounds like the issue is simply "user error" :) Which is good, since it doesn't cost anything to fix it!
i am back at work till tomorrow. I will trim up and see what happens. I’ll keep you posted. I still think the speed is a touch slow. And you I am using GPS for speed

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You really need to trim it up and see what happens. My guess is you will see 300-400 rpm and that will get you pretty close to the ideal wide open 6000 rpm.

As others have said, how are you measuring speed? GPS?

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Trimming the engine isn't going to give you another 10MPH, but you may gain the RPMs. Are you 33kts or MPH? 33knts and a small adjustment will bring you into the 40mph range.