pulling out frig to check plumbing ?

bc282

Reaction score
I have a leak likely mid-ship in my pressurized fresh water system on my 282 Sailfish. I'd like to check the connections for the galley sink to trouble shoot that spot for leaks as well as to see why the pressure is poor.

How easy or difficult is it to pull out and re-install the frig (sink is above frig, so it looks like the only option)?

The pressure at the sink in the head is really poor, but pressure at the bait sink at the transom is good. Haven't figured out if a leak in system is causing the poor pressure or that i may have blockage issues in the lines.

anyone done similar stuff?

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had the same problem. I removed the valve handles and then removed the valve stems and turned on the pump. I wasn't in the head to see what came out but water went everywhere inside the head. I put everything back together and all is good now. It only took about ten minutes. If you have a leak that's a different story.

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Removing the frige is not a real problem. Remove the top and bottom retaining trim strips, then remove the screws along metal sides of the unit. It will then slide out. The power cord is long enough so that the unit can be placed on the V-berth without disturbing the electrical connection(12V). Easy access then to the sink, faucets, etc.

Reactions: ScottyCee

ahill

Reaction score
Be careful pulling out the fridge. They seem to be top heavy and can get away from you. A friend had one drop on his foot !!^%&$#XX. Forewarned I took my fridge out with no injuries.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Did you unscrew the aerator fitting at the outlet on faucet? It readily get clogged up with crud.

bc282

Reaction score
BobP said:
Did you unscrew the aerator fitting at the outlet on faucet? It readily get clogged up with crud.

yup, definitely checked that first and really was hoping it was a simple fix.

Reaction score
You better plan that fixing. Do a bit paper work first. Think how and what it takes to pull out frig. Every frig is a bit different in sense of brand in fixing!

Jeff Mauro

Reaction score
Also, check the Tee connections at the water heater under the Vee berth. I had two instances of hairline cracks in the plastic fittings provided by GW. I replaced with plastic with brass.

AlizaJane

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a leak likely mid-ship in my pressurized fresh water system on my 282 Sailfish. I'd like to check the connections for the galley sink to trouble shoot that spot for leaks as well as to see why the pressure is poor.

How easy or difficult is it to pull out and re-install the frig (sink is above frig, so it looks like the only option)?

The pressure at the sink in the head is really poor, but pressure at the bait sink at the transom is good. Haven't figured out if a leak in system is causing the poor pressure or that i may have blockage issues in the lines.

anyone done similar stuff?

Did you fix this issue I hear hissing like water spraying under my sink

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
I found a leak behind my fridge on my 282 SailFish... Pull it out and turn on the pump, hopefully it is right there ar a joint & an easy fix... Hide some money back there while you are at it, you never know...

Reactions: AlizaJane

seasick

Reaction score
Did you fix this issue I hear hissing like water spraying under my sink
A simple test is to turn on the pump and it should run. If not at first turn on a faucet and let some water run. Now turn off the faucet and listen to the pump. If it doesn't cycle on and off over time (give it a few minutes) you probably don't have a leak. If it does cycle, you MAY have a leak and need to investigate.
When I read the original post about the hissing, I thought of a snake:) Then I got curious and found online the Madagascar hissing cockroach! Think I am paranoid?

bc282

Reaction score
Update: The water leak was due to a busted flow valve near the fresh water tank that the servicing dealer found and simply removed the offending valve. Valve was busted and stuck in open condition. I honestly would not have found this as getting to the tank in the 282 was extremely difficult. Dealer got down and back there as boat was getting re-powered and so batteries, rigging, etc were removed.
The water flow after valve removed was decent (good at the aft wash station but reduced pressure at the galley sink and stand up head where it was definitely not 40 psi, likely due to the increased distance required to push).

Prior to dealer re-powering boat and finding bad valve, I did unscrew all the faucet aerators (found some crud but not enough to block off flow) and did remove the frig but didn't find any leaks or issues behind frig.

Boat has now been sold and delivered to new owners and i'm in the hunt for a bit bigger boat. I've owned the 282 for over 10 years and was very happy with it and do not regret choosing it back in 2008. Grady makes a good solid boat and she served me well and confident she will continue to do so for new owners.

AlizaJane

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The pump cycles on and off. I replumbed the standup shower with brass. So I'm assuming that the issue is the same20200502_202713.jpg

Attachments

• 20200502_171512.jpg
    20200502_171512.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 4