Purchasing 1991 GRADY WHITE 25 DOLPHIN WALKAROUND

boatz2

Reaction score
I am about to buy a 91 Dolphin with twin 200HP Yamaha Outboards. The engines have 850 hours on them. I am hoping people can comment on some of the issues to look for in this particular model. I am going to have a survey done but want to be sure to check the boat and repair records for common issues with this hull/engines. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Also asking was $22,900 and I have negotiated it down to $17,0000 pending the survey. This price includes a trailer although it needs brake work. Any thoughts on the price would be appreciated as well.

amr72

Reaction score
I don't think 17k is a bad price, but I think 17k is a lot of money to spend on a pre SeaV2 hull and old technology motors. Since you asked, that is my opinion...

midnight-rider

Reaction score
My 2 cents

I had 1989 200 yamaha on my 1989 overnighter and had Zero issues with the motor...As far as the boat depending how your going to use her....Price I think is close..look up the price on line.....Good luck.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Get the motors checked out too buy a Yamaha mechanic.

Even if one motor is bad, one new one to buy is more than you are paying for everything.

If the motors and hull are in great shape with no major work like transoms/stringers etc, then you are getting a lot of boat for the money.
Walk away if the latter unless you are looking for a project boat, and get it for a lot less than that.

I expect the gas tanks to be near shot if not already replaced.

boatz

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
91 Dolphin 25

The boat has always been racked during season. It has been maintained by the boatyard year round for the past 10 years. The bushings an lower unit on the engines were replaced last year. The fuel tanks have been replaced in the past 4 years (both of them). It has full electronics although they are 8 - 10 years old but all seem to work well. I am having it surveyed including engine check Friday. I just wanted to ask Grady owners if they know of any issues I should bring to the survayors attention. :?:

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
In the current market, $17K seems high. The motors can last well past 1500 hours if properly maintained but will corrode from the inside out. Check the shift rods, the older ones are not stainless and if they go, it's not worth replacing them since the powerhead has to come off.
Check the tru-hulls and hoses if original they're shot. 8-10 year old electronics are worth 0, I wouldn't trust them. As far as the SeaV2 or not, take a ride in a SeaV2 and non and see how you like it. From what I've heard, it isn't much of a difference on a Sailfish but see for yourself.

no problem

Reaction score
One year newer and you get a sea v2 hull. That makes for a much easier resale later. I think once you start investing in repairs and improvements you may regret not starting with a newer hull. if you squeeze a few seasons of use without major issues you will be happy. If a major repair is needed you may have been aquire a newer boat for the same money. and as stated all over this forum, the plastic thru hulls must be replaced. good luck with it.