Purchasing a 2008 330 express.

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a sea trail and engine survey next week. This will be my first Grady white purchase. Any suggestions for what I should look for that the non experienced buyer would know would be helpful. I had a similar size Sea Ray for a few years. I wanted outboards and a little more of a fishing boat.

Reactions: RussGW270

buzzsawyer

Reaction score
Wonderful boat. I did not see you were having a "survey" done. Recommend you do. That boat is 10 years old and has a number of systems that need to be in good working order. Example: has the generator oil and impellar been changed? Air conditioners cool? Helm master software and electronics been updated. Autopilot (garmin) have latest chip from Navionics? Radio previously programmed with MMSI? Head in working order? Have engines been recently been serviced and scoped for midsection corrosion? Age of 4 batteries? Get an excellent surveyor and the cost will be recovered in the price negotiations. I love that model Grady. Rides and fishes well and sleeps well.

seasick

Reaction score
Ask the surveyor if he or she is familiar with water intrusion issues on some Expresses in the stringers on the aft port side. Some of those models had a manufacturing 'defect' and you have to know where to look to see if the deck to hull connection is leaking. I am sure there are a zillions other things to check but this one can turn out to be a real problem.

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Wonderful boat. I did not see you were having a "survey" done. Recommend you do. That boat is 10 years old and has a number of systems that need to be in good working order. Example: has the generator oil and impellar been changed? Air conditioners cool? Helm master software and electronics been updated. Autopilot (garmin) have latest chip from Navionics? Radio previously programmed with MMSI? Head in working order? Have engines been recently been serviced and scoped for midsection corrosion? Age of 4 batteries? Get an excellent surveyor and the cost will be recovered in the price negotiations. I love that model Grady. Rides and fishes well and sleeps well.
Sea trial and survey of bot and with a master Yamaha mechanic is Wednesday.

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Ask the surveyor if he or she is familiar with water intrusion issues on some Expresses in the stringers on the aft port side. Some of those models had a manufacturing 'defect' and you have to know where to look to see if the deck to hull connection is leaking. I am sure there are a zillions other things to check but this one can turn out to be a real problem.
Tops on my list. Along with the engines that have just 110 hours. The bot lived in Maine for the first ten years of her life. Everything looks so new on the deck and cabin. I’m betting the boat sat on land in storage most of those ten years before she moved to miami.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Pictures or we do not believe you!.. lol ;) Good luck:)

Reactions: themikehyde

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I closed on the 330 express. Love it. I have some optional punch list items to take care of. Manifolds. Plugs. Etc. besides that. The engines (350) are in great shape. The gas level gauges are not accurate (main reads 100% when indeed it was at 10%) not being picked up by the surveyor has to be addressed. Can anyone walk me thru replacing the livewell hose? It’s “sweating” right before the sea cock. I’d like to replace it way before it becomes an issue. I wanted to order some Plano boxes that fit in the cabinet of the boat. Anyone tell me the size I need? I’m out of town for several days. I want it at my house before I get back. Chilling the fish box and installing a/c in the helm are on the list of spoiled upgrades I will consider later this year. I’ll send more pics when I’m back in town.

Attachments

• C81C6FCE-C42A-4324-8AA1-DD59226F30EE.jpeg
    C81C6FCE-C42A-4324-8AA1-DD59226F30EE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22