Pursuit vs Grady

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,

When I bought my current boat (06 Marlin) it really came down to these brands. I ended up choosing the Grady. I've been getting an itch to move up (not that I should even be thinking about it nor would my wallet support at this time). Since there are no larger walkarounds I thought what would I move up to? I looked at the center consoles and express versions. I'd like to stay with outboards, and again it came down to these boat brands.

My take after a brief analysis is Pursuit wins with the OS375 and 345 express models. Maybe a closer call a few years ago - I thought then the fit and finish of the Pursuit was better, but I really liked the Grady layout.

I'd say Grady wins in the CC catagory. The C340 is obviously smaller than the 36 Grady thus loosing out on size, but the Grady appears to have more comforts that allows it to be a little more nimble outside the core fishing role.

I guess I'll have to go to the boat show and dig into all 4 and determine what I would do if a brinks truck door opens and a few large bags of cash were to fall out and into my lap.....

What do you think? Has Grady lost a step to Pursuit in fit & finish? layout? yacht quality?

striped bass

Reaction score
There is no one answer. Pursuit makes a good production boat and the fit and finish on the models you mentioned are very nice, indeed, which some buyers prefer. In the above 30 foot Express category Pursuit seems to have the edge in fit and finish but, as you mentioned, the Grady layout seems to be more accommodating in these size models. Grady White literally owns the market place in the dual console models. I was at the Newport Boat Show last week and the new Pursuit 25 dual console was no match for any of the Grady DCs. I would agree that the Grady CC is well laid out and more versatile. In its class, Grady seems to be superior in the CC models. If the price was not over the top, I might be tempted at add the Regulator Express 30 as an option, but it is strictly for fishing and way over priced.

Good luck with your search. Sometimes the journey is more fun than the final destination.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I too am waiting for that brinks truck door to open when I am behind it in the middle of nowhere. We have a few pieces of real estate we are trying to sell, but the market is dead. I have been aboard the Express series from Grady and Pursuit. I like both boats. I like the layout of the Grady, but Pursuit does have more of yachty feel to the interior. Grady's interior kind of reminds me of a middle of the road RV, Pursuit seems to be more of tour bus. With that said, Grady is in my blood and if and when the day comes, I will likely be looking for an Express 33 from Grady.

It will come down to a sea trial of each boat. A nice fit and finish of the interior cabin spaces is nice, but I spend most of my time above decks fishing, driving and so forth. The ride is key here. If the Grady and Pursuit handle the same in similar sea conditions and the Grady ride is no better than the Pursuit, then those other factors would play in my decesion making more and perhaps lean me to a Pursuit. But if the Grady ride is noticeably better, I get the Grady.

townvet

Reaction score
So I just went through this decision making process mtself. The Grady 360 vs The Pursuit 37 OS. I chose the Grady for the following reasons.

1. I am a Grady Fan through and through.
2. The feel of the Grady is superior in almost every aspect.
3. I sea trialed the 360 in 4 foot slop and it rode like a dream
4. Engine options on the 360 included the new Triple 300 OS V6. I can get 1-1.1 GPM at cruise with outstanding performance (can't touch those numbers with anything else)
5. My Grady dealer really knows how to sell a boat. Very proferssional and helpful. I had a question on power options and less than an hour later the VP of Engineering from Grady was calling to answer all my questions.
6. The layout for sleeping a family of 5 is better on the Grady.

Now I just have to wait for it to be built....

If you are looking for a gently used 336 Canyon let me know. 160 hours on her and pristine condition.

capeguy

Reaction score
I too have been awaiting a pot of gold to appear so I can make this decision! I've been looking at these two builders for a few years in the 30-36' range so I'll be ready when the gold arrives...

To me it comes down to usage. I think the Pursuits are a better option for cruising, overnighting, etc. and the Grady is better for fishing. Each can do both, each favors one. The Pursuit cabin is hands down better than the GW in my opinion, not even close. I was actually a bit embarrased a couple years back at the Boston show to bring a buddy to the GW's after the Pursuit display. Being a GW guy, it was tough to face the obvious superiority on that front.

However, the Grady wins hands down when it comes to function and layout for fishing. Believe it or not, I find that the Grady fold down seat on the transom actually makes a huge difference in the functionality as the Pursuit seat mechanism is poor and on the smaller (315) model makes the aft fish box nearly inaccessible. This little aspect creates a much more functional use of space in the cockpit by enabling that seat ot be stored and the space freed. The GW helm, in particular the center helm on the 330 and 360 is much better to me as well. Pursuit has the big bench seating in the helm area. I also do not need a grill, I prefer the cooler space or bait prep...

If GW would make some changes to the cabin and the finish, it would be a major improvement.

lgusto

Reaction score
One big plus for Pursuit - windows in the cabin. It's a big deal when you travel a lot and want to see what's going on around the harbor in the middle of the night without going up on deck.

One big plus for GW - the Pursuits are just a little too pretty if you're a fishing fanatic.

eppem

Reaction score
With exception to the cc models, (and my family has owned both pursuits and gw), when did both builders stop building fishing boats????

I have a 265 express and wish I could cut it in 1/2 and make it 3 feet longer.

striped bass

Reaction score
eppem:
The answer to your question is when the admiral and the whole family started to go boating with the captain. The admiral and family require creature comforts and that is what the manufacturers gave them and in return the manufacturers expanded sales. The compromise is acceptable from my point of view. The GW Tournament series is a good example of a good fishing machine with a few add-ons for the admiral and children while not compromising the fishing capabilities.

eppem

Reaction score
My 265 express has all the creature comforts that they need but still lets us fish very hardcore..."fishing" boat builders are losing focus.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I think Striped Bass has it figured out.
In this day-and-age, the bottom line has to be the most boat sales to the widest potential buying market. If the builders can sell more boats by making them more family-friendly, why wouldn't they?

As far as the Grady/Pursuit topic here, from what I gather, it's a Ford Vs. Chevy thing. Just like Yamaha and Merc.

Gary M

Reaction score
My wife and I are on Grady #3 going back 13 years and about two dozens trips to the Bahamas, etc. She's worked at the VP level in manufacturing and knows about fit & finish, quality, etc. We love Boat Shows (lucky to have the Miami/Lauderdale/Palm Beach right here) and we have crawled all over, in and out of the 330 & 360 as well as the Pursuit OS 345 and 375....... many times. Hands down, we'd buy a 345 first.

We LOVE sleeping aboard our Marlin, but obviously a bigger cabin would be a LOT more comfortable. Every boat has its compromises but the 330 has more than the OS 345...... for us. Both of us prefer the roomier helm area on the Pursuit, the side steering station, the easier access to the cabin, the yacht quality cabin, "bathroom" with private shower stall, the more private mid-berth with setee and dresser, cabin windows, nicer galley, cockpit grill. I mentioned the nicer mid-berth as I do some "guys" Bahamas trips and on the OS 345 I can see two guys sleeping almost in single berths with the V-berth table/setee still in place and The Skipper getting the nice, private mid-berth with dresser, setee, etc! :dance

What we don't care for about the OS 345 is the white color, Raymarine electronics, no seperate cabin setee. I can guess what the ride would be like in the GW 330 but would want to see how it compares to the Pursuit. We both feel that Grady is a step or two behind on the quality and fit & finish with Pursuit.

What we'd REALLY like to buy would be a 34 foot version of the Marlin, but GW seems hell-bent on the Express models....... :bang

http://www.pursuitboats.com/OS345.htm

Fishtales

Reaction score
I tend to agree with you Gary. The center helm on the Grady 30,33 and 36 express models does nothing for me. The seating looks and feels like it is for kids. Insufficient room to move around the center helm seat. The helm of the Pursuit 34 and 37 just looks so inviting for 3-4 people and decent access to the cabin door. I do like the Grady cockpit and aft seat better, but that is about it. I hope there is big a non center helm express or walk in the cards at some point. I do like finish of those Pursuits though....

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here is another happy Marlin owner who agrees. I just don't like the cramped access of a center helm. It also trades seating for cockpit space. The OS series Pursuits have passed the large Gradys in many areas. I constantly remind the management team at the yearly boat shows.

While the Pursuits have the clear edge in the cabin, in some other areas Grady still rules. The GW transom and bench blow away the OS series. I hate the grey helm, hardtop rod holders, and fishing features. GW has better storage but Pursuit has the best access to helm systems I have seen.

My hope is that GW learns from the competition and continues to innovate.

Ackdog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am right there between both of these. I like the 330 Grady, Admiral likes the 345. The big issue for her is the center helm on the Grady and I can rationalize that, but to me Grady CS to tops.

Any word on the gas fume issue Pursuits had recently?

I say GW does a 345 - Marlin big brother called Thresher. :nicethread

Gary M

Reaction score
Wow! I was doing a Search on Google for a Pursuit Owner's Forum like this one and stumbled onto this thread from last Sept! The IRONIC part is that The Kiwi Admiral and I have just decided to move up from our much loved 2001 30 Marlin to a 2008+ Pursuit OS 345. We will begin the "search" soon as we also get the HEY MON! ready for sale.

We really put a LOT of thought and discussion into the choice between the Pursuit and a 2008+ 330 Express and for "us" the Pursuit fits what we want out of a boat better. It's a bigger, wider, heavier (think: rough seas) boat and the difference in the cabins is huge. We have really enjoyed spending nights on the Marlin and plan to do more of that every year and the bigger, nicer cabin on the Pursuit will mean even more comfortable nights......

We have crawled all over both boats at many Boat Shows and will do so one more time at next month's Lauderdale Boat Show. We usually go in the mid-afternoon on Sundays of the Boat Shows as the crowds have died out and we get some good, free time aboard to really inspect them...... We may visit our local Pursuit dealer this weekend....

Any "news" from any of you other guys on this thread?

striped bass

Reaction score
Gary:
You are probably on the right track. Grady White owns the market place for boats 30 feet and under, especially for dual consoles. In the boat model category you are considering there are other options and you have found a good one. Enjoy.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would like to see the 30 or 33 express with the helm area like the Carolina 28 or 32. Plenty of room for seating with eveyone facing foreward and lots of room for tackle stations. To me the center helm just takes up too much space and cramps easily. One thing Grady has done is design boats with great layouts but some of the newer creations try to put too much in. To me the cabin of anything Sailfish and smaller is not one that you want to spend that much time in (even less if you don't have AC). When they show wine glasses and a glass fruit bowl by the sink at boat shows it's pretty funny.

Fishtales

Reaction score
A year later and I see this back near the top...
I still feel the same way. There is a 33 and a 36 express on my dock that I have to walk by to get to my Marlin and I would never bite. Too bad the center helm is the only option as you move over 30'. Lucky for me I won't have this decision for a while with the kids in college and private high schools. When I do make a move, if the line up is the same as it is today - it won't be a Grady I'm sorry to say.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I too am looking to make a move. Have a Sailfish now and looking to move to 33-36 size range. I do like the 4 stroke outboards but would consider diesel. How’s the ride on the P vs. G? My Sailfish has never let me down and I always feel safe no matter what mother nature throws at me.