Question: Enjoying 2-3 foot sea days

Agrady208

Reaction score
I'm guessing we all love our Grady Whites but choppy 2 foot days on the Chesapeake Bay can impact the fun of family boating for those of us with smaller boats (Grady White208). While remembering small is better for cost and ease of handling... what model Grady White do you recommend to enjoy 2-3 foot sea days and occasional off shore trips after yellowfin tuna?

Charlie
On the "Ms Cait"

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
How big do you want to go..??

I would start w/ the 22' or 23'. Both of these hulls are night and day when compared to one another. Depends on what you feel most comfortable with.

Agrady208

Reaction score
Nightides,
I am interested in the 232 Gulfstream since it could support dual 150 Yamahas for off shore safety. However, I was unsure if 3 feet more in length would be a huge improvement over my 208. Is the 258 overkill for the need I am describing?

Charlie

Brad1

Reaction score
2 to 3s are just an ordinary day on Lake Erie. I don't let 2 to 3s bother me. I'll go as far as 20 miles offshore in 2 to 3s (any more and the Canadian Mounties are coming after me). My 226 handles 2 to 3s just fine. Granted, I can't run WOT in 2 to 3s (but I'll be doing over 20 mph)and I have to drop the tabs a little. But never worry about safety. If I stayed off the lake due to 2 to 3s I'd almost never get out.

Agrady208

Reaction score
Brad1 that is good info. It has been a frustrating year since 4 out of 7 days seem to be 3 foot plus and of course it always seems to be small boat advisories when I want to fish. I did add trim tabs which makes a big difference.

I have a Yamah 150 HDPI and two batteries plus usually extra two stroke oil.. all in the stern. I am wondering if the extra weight is causing some of the rough ride. Have you had experinece in 208's and 2-3 foot seas?

Charlie

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Agrady208 said:
Nightides,
I am interested in the 232 Gulfstream since it could support dual 150 Yamahas for off shore safety. However, I was unsure if 3 feet more in length would be a huge improvement over my 208. Is the 258 overkill for the need I am describing?

Charlie

The 232 has same cockpit size as the 258 and has a wider beam.. I think the 258 for what you want to do may be overkill.

The 232 is in a different league than the 228...period. But the 228 is without a doubt is a very nice hull.

I would advise that you ride both of them before making your choice. I would also opt for a used one given current market conditions.

Average Joe

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you (no pun intended) and I've been looking at the 228 and 232 also. Pro's and con's to both. 228 is easier to trailer, less fuel and maintenance and can still do offshore trips using the buddy boat system.
232 offers twin engine piece of mind, much wider beam, bigger fish boxes, standup headroom in the cabin, etc. I think it qualifies for a tax deduction also with the addition of a built-in stove and head.

If you plan to offshore fish frequently I'd go with the 232. If not then the 228.

Another factor for me is the roughly 30k price difference.

shadygradycapn

Reaction score
I went from the Seafarer to the Gulfstream and I can't tell you how glad I am that I did. My fillings are all still in place and I rarely get wet.

I have other priorities in the near future, and plans for a larger Grady next year, so my Gulfstream is for sale. See the "Super Clean 2003 Gulfstream" in the for sale section.

Agrady208

Reaction score
Average Joe
Were you out on "His Doghouse Too" last weekend? I think you and I chatted about Grady Whites then. There is a Gulfstream in the Pilot now loaded to include outriggers etc. only 50 hours. trailer. What I need to do is talk you into buying that, I help you when we go offshore after whopper tuna and my wife does not kill me for buying a third boat :)

Agrady208

Reaction score
Shadygradycaptn, you are an inspiration to us all. Cool boat and looking to move up! Being way up here in Virginia I will wish you well with the Florida sale.
Charlie

GWcpa

Reaction score
For fishing the Bay I would go with a 232. Long ocean runs 258. The 232 is a bigger boat than the 232, but I do not think it rides as well. It has a large beam to length ratio which does not help.

For trolling the 232s size and stability is great, but it has a firm head sea ride.

The 228 is much easier to run and trailer than either, but will not handle the seas as well, obviously. It is a big step from a 228 to 232.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
I'm not really sure if it is a fair comparison. The 228 is a fantastic hull....But it is a real 22 foot boat and behaves like one. If you are only going to go 10 - 15 miles offshore on the best of days and with crew of 2 or 3 it should serve you well. In the bay under most normal conditions...No worries...It'll be perfect. However, the 232 is in a different league.....Especially with twins (I'm not fond of the way a 232 rides or handles with a single). The Gulfstream is really more like a 25 foot boat in terms of ride and fishability. The wide beam makes a huge difference. If you're going to go offshore 25+ miles then the 232 is the boat you want (Or larger)...Remember...It can be 2-3's on the way out there and quickly turn into 5-6's for the ride back......You know what they say about the best laid plans.......

Seriously....If you're going to fish in the bay and really only go a little ways offshore on a lake calm day the the 228 will do the trick....But if you're going to be more aggressive and think you might even catch the offshore "Bug"...Get the Gulfstream.........Good luck in whatever you decide....

Agrady208

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for all the good discussion and ideas. I also got a note ref new Grady White club in my area and made contacts with two Captains that keep thier boats at Little Creek (Taylors Landing). I'd seen their boats fishing and stuff but never struck up a friendship. I just joined www.greatgrady.com yesterday...glad I did.

Charlie
On the "Ms Cait"

izzy

Reaction score
24' explorer model i always thought was a perfect size with the cut out trans. I always wondered why they discontinued that model :roll:

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
3 foot seas that are 3 second apart are uncomfortable in my 265 Express.

4 foot seas that are 4 seconds apart - no fun......

My rule of thumb is that if the period and height are equal, dont go. I have fished huge 10 foot rollers and had alot of fun....

This height/period value is an average.... I remember coming home one particully rough day thinking "I never want to do that again"..... some waves were coming over the bow, running up and down rough seas, it just sucked, couldnt drift for sharks..... I went home and looked at the sea condition.... 3.5 feet high - 3.5 seconds apart...

I have been on the edge (100 miles out) and have seen 23 footers with single diesels.... so really, the period is just as important as the height.

Just my two cents

Tim

Average Joe

Reaction score
Agrady208 said:
Average Joe
Were you out on "His Doghouse Too" last weekend? I think you and I chatted about Grady Whites then. There is a Gulfstream in the Pilot now loaded to include outriggers etc. only 50 hours. trailer. What I need to do is talk you into buying that, I help you when we go offshore after whopper tuna and my wife does not kill me for buying a third boat :)

No. actually I was out in my 208 on Friday looking at 3-4 footers although the weather man called them 1-2. Are you coming to the TWGC meeting on March 9th?. That would be a good opportunity to talk to some 228 and 232 owners and maybe get a chance to check them out (sea trial).

The 232 in the Pilot has been there for quite awhile. His asking price is too high and I'm guessing he's not willing to come down much but you can always ask.

I hear a lot of negative comments about 232's with single power but there is a guy in our area who has one with an F250 (Karlista) that I talked with one day at the ramp and he had nothing but good things to say about it's performance.

gw204

Reaction score
A '93 252G is what you want. I have one, it's for sale so I can step up. See my sig. for a link to a thread with all the details. :D

Unlike new Grady's, the one I'm selling is affordable. :lol:

Agrady208

Reaction score
Tim, I have never paid attention to the interval between waves so will watch for that. Good idea :)

Charlie

Agrady208

Reaction score
Joe, well that just goes to show yet another person is looking to move up the Grady line. Must have been a different guy on His Doghouse. I linked up with Karlista a couple of weekends ago when I organized a night fishing trip with 3 or 4 boats. He was on the radio when called proivded good spot reports and on time Great guy. I will look forward to talking with him about his boat.

Charlie

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
fishingFINattic said:
My rule of thumb is that if the period and height are equal, dont go. Tim

My "thumb-rule" is actually more conservative - but works very well for us older folks..

Take the periods in seconds, divide by the height in feet. If the quotient is less than two (2), then it will be snotty out there.

e.g. four footers at nine seconds is OK. two footers at three seconds is sloppy.

Brian