Quotes are getting out of hand!

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Seems like more and more people feel the need to quote a previous post in order to reply, which I perfectly understand if the conversation has gotten off track, dis-jointed, or there has been a significant time lapse to the particular point to which you are responding.
BUT, I will never understand the need to quote the original post when you are the first respondent. Is there any doubt in anyone's mind what you are referring to? Or to have a back and forth where 2 guys repeatedly re-quote each other in order to reply.
If you are talking to someone, do you repeat the other before you reply. It sometimes makes it hard to figure out who is posting, and who is being quoted.
Rant over!
Now let's see who's going to be the first to quote this.

Reactions: HTHM

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Seems like more and more people feel the need to quote a previous post in order to reply, which I perfectly understand if the conversation has gotten off track, dis-jointed, or there has been a significant time lapse to the particular point to which you are responding.
BUT, I will never understand the need to quote the original post when you are the first respondent. Is there any doubt in anyone's mind what you are referring to? Or to have a back and forth where 2 guys repeatedly re-quote each other in order to reply.
If you are talking to someone, do you repeat the other before you reply. It sometimes makes it hard to figure out who is posting, and who is being quoted.
Rant over!
Now let's see who's going to be the first to quote this.
Lmao. I understand you

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Maybe that's the problem, people replying to individual posts, rather than to the conversation. Post at the bottom of any page in the thread, and your post falls right in line.

seasick

Reaction score
Some threads wander all over the place regarding the topic. This is often referred to as hijacking. If I am responding to a specific comment in a thread where several others have opined :))) about somewhat related issues and often totally unrelated ones,, I reply with the comment I am referring to. Often, I will edit a long response by a member to just leave out the unrelated parts. Of course, this editing could be construed as 'selective' editing', a common tool used in politics:)

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Pighunter

Reaction score
Some threads wander all over the place regarding the topic. This is often referred to as hijacking. If I am responding to a specific comment in a thread where several others have opined :))) about somewhat related issues and often totally unrelated ones,, I reply with the comment I am referring to. Often, I will edit a long response by a member to just leave out the unrelated parts. Of course, this editing could be construed as 'selective' editing', a common tool used in politics:)
Your doing it the way it was intended, I think!