Racor 3213 Fuel Filter Water Separator

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just did boat some boat maintenance on my Seafarer 228 yesterday. The Racor separator is in a tight spot in the bilge, so I tried something that made the job easy and clean. I bought an oil filter wrench from O'Reilly Auto Parts that was used for 3.24-3.5" applications. It fit the Racor perfectly. I loosened the filter a quarter turn just to where I could start to use my hand to get it off. I took a ziplock gallon bag and was able to get it slightly above and around the filter, then worked it slowly off housing. I didn't bother draining the bottom housing first. Had a rag underneath the filter just in case.
Came off without a drop spilled in the bilge. Then I held the old filter with the oil filter wrench in one hand and with channel locks was able to get the clear bottom plastic off pretty easily.

Done!

joker

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
That’s a great idea l had the same problem I use rubber strap wrench for mine works great on rust

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think when someone chooses a nearly impossible access location for an install, they are laughing their butts off knowing the pain they will cause down the road ;)

Not a big fan of spending time working on anything in the bilge.