Radar Arch - leave as aluminum vs, powder coat? Spotlight?

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I am having a radar arch fabricated for my new Tournament 275 and am wondering what people think about whether I should leave it as is (exposed aluminum finish) versus having it powder coated? The cost to powder coat it is pretty reasonable. My big concern is that the Grady hull is an off white (really beige or tan) and most powder coating is done in white (although I believe I can have it matched closer to the hull color). I actually like the look of the aluminum except that I'm told that over time, it will pit and begin to look worn (especially since I'm at a mooring and can't always wash the boat after use).

The other question is that I'm putting both radar and a spotlight on the arch. The fabricator wants to raise the radome a few inches so that the spotlight is below the radar (so that when the spotlight turns 360 degrees - it doesn't get blocked). This seems to make sense but I thought I'd check. I know the disadvantages of having the spotlight on the arch (in terms of reflection of the deck) but there's no room on the foredeck (and I'd like to keep the area clean).

Am also planning on putting forward facing and aft facing floods (so that I have lights for coming into my mooring at night). Does anyone have any experience with the LED versions (which are significantly more expensive than the halogen ones)?

Last question, I'm thinking about not putting my VHF antenna on the arch. I go under a few bridges from time-to-time and really don't want to have to raise and lower the antenna every time. I know I will lose some range but for me it's a reasonable trade off for not having to deal with lowering (or forgetting to lower) the antenna.

Thanks

sluggoe

Reaction score
that is exactly my set-up: i have my spotlite and radar on the same arch -- lite is below the radome and works fine;

as far as cosmetics (powder vs. raw) if it does not cost that much to powder then u should gitt-r-done especially if u cannot wash the raw aluminum;

slugg

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Any chance you have a picture?

Just curious if you would powder coat in white or in a color closer to the hull color (I acknowledge the free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it - yet I'm still asking).

Thanks,

Ken

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I don't think aluminum is untreated, if so, say no. It should be anodized, hopefully welds too. Find out process.

Both powdercoat and anodized alum eventually loose adhesion/effect, powdercoat is the worst when it comes to repair since it is so thick and a powdercoat repair is not feasible in same way as original. Also more obvious since different color than alum.

In either case, takes several if not many years to occur, depending on quality of work and if any dings occur in use.

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
The aluminum would be anodized. That said, in the salt environment, it will start to corrode more quickly than stainless (which depending on the type of stainless, is more corrosion resistant). I know that waxing the aluminum (some have said that Woody Wax is a great product) will help to slow down the corrosion. Not being able to wash the aluminum after each use (since I have limited water on the boat) means that it's sitting with salt on it and baking in the sun (being anodized it is somewhat protected).

I am told that you can do minor repairs on powdercoating with appliance touch up paint but you are correct that major nicks and dings will leave pock marks in the surface.

I'm leaning towards plain aluminum however friends are trying to convince me to go with powdercoating. I'm really soliciting input from those who have no vested interest in the outcome so that I get an honest perspective.

Thanks again,

Ken

richie rich

Reaction score
I made my own radar extension out of non-anodized T6061 and I powder coated it myself....its been 5 New England seasons and still looks like the day I mounted it on my hardtop.......no point in anodizing if your powdercoating as the pipe will need to be roughed up a little to help with the bond, so you'll ruin the anodized treatment anyways......but as mentioned, both will go at sometime...maybe in about 15-20 years......call a few t-top shops that do big business with the OEMS and see what experience they've had so far....you'll get a good sense of where things are going these days....

JeffN

Reaction score
I live at the beach and have not found powder coating to be that great of a metal coating. As to radar archs etc I have heard that Imron or similar is a better product but only have been told that. Mako used a white coating on metal products on their boats a few years back. There are a couple of those here and the coating is all coming off - looks awful. I don't know what that coating was though, powder coat or something else. I'd try to find people who have coated their arches with whatever and check them out to see what has held up. I did have my front cabin window frames powder coated last winter but as it is so new the jury is still out on the result. They look great but I don't know how they will hold up. The anodized aluminum is more of a know quanity in that regard. I tend to keep my things a while so I want something that will last more than a couple of years. I do like the look of the white arches but would want to see one that is a number of seasons old, it all looks good when it is new.