RADAR ARCH'S (ATLANTIC TOWER)

circle hook

Reaction score
Has any one ever use a adjustable model Radar Arch the one on the web shows it can also fold down for low clearence under bridges, I was wondering if it can support (4) Shark / Tuna Rods and the Furuno radar dome, Its made by Atlantic Tower and looks really nice but just wanted a few reviews before spending $1,200.00 Thanks guys Bob

gw204

Reaction score
If there arches are the same quality at their T-Tops, you couldn't pay me to put one on my boat... :(

circle hook

Reaction score
Brian what was the problem that you ran into, week pipeing, bad weld's what happen

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
gw204 is honestly the first person I've ever heard not totally satisfied with an Atlantic installation! We have an Atlantic Towers radar arch and one of their hardtop conversion kits installed on our 26 Fortier. They installed the arch and then a few years later we had them put on the hardtop (pretty slick- two bolts attached it to the existing arch and two support arms bolted to the trunk cabin- they installed both pieces and did a very nice job on both.)

I would definitely recommend their work- if you are in the area, they usually have a nice spread at the NYC boat show and are very accommodating in customizing their products.

I haven't figured out how to upload pictures to this site just yet so if you would like so see some pictures of the arch and top just ask...

nevsatII

Reaction score
I had a Alantic Tower radar arch on a 1996 208. It was ok for the money but if had to do it again I would go with a custom made one. I did not like the universal flange mounts, would rather have welded flanges they have a better apperance and are stronger.
Jim

gw204

Reaction score
I never actually owned anything made by them, but I saw their display at the Baltimore Boat Show a few years ago. Bear in mind I was in the market for a T-Top so that's what I looked at.

The entire thing flexed and wobbled when I shook it, the top itself looked like it was some sort of inverted snow toy and it just looked like sh*t in general. There was definitely not enough support and bracing for the size of the structure.

I went with a custom T-Top from Pipe Dreams Marine for about the same price and never regretted it for a second.

2629.jpg

vs.

IMG_0337.jpg

No contest.....

Maybe their arches aren't as junky (I doubt it), but based on what I saw of the T-Tops they offer.... :roll: Look at this photo. There's no bracing to stop it from shaking side to side.

00204FA4322_lg.jpg

circle hook

Reaction score
with an arch they are only mounted in 4 spots & I guess the strength must come from the size of the tube used, Atlantic Towers they say they use 1 1/2" stock, then comes the anchor points with the swinging style, will that take away from the over all strength. I want to carry (4) shark / Tuna Rods and a 18" Furuno dome.

towerfab

Reaction score
That Atlantic towers stuff is the absolute nastiest looking pipework, and it shakes worse than it looks...sorry gotta tell it like it is, you get what you pay for.

gw204

Reaction score
circle hook said:
with an arch they are only mounted in 4 spots & I guess the strength must come from the size of the tube used, Atlantic Towers they say they use 1 1/2" stock, then comes the anchor points with the swinging style, will that take away from the over all strength.

There's very little strength in that design. There needs to be an inner hoop. That's where the strength and resistance to sway comes from. I personally wouldn't use one of those Atlantic Towers arches even if I wasn't putting rods and a dome on it.

Using larger pipe is the cheap way to gain a tiny bit of strength. :( Smaller pipe with the inner hoop would be stronger.

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
junk...

i've made quite a few refferences not to go with atlantic marine-EVER !! their work is terrible...they make a product,the radar arch,it's desined to
fit a certain width,the problem comes in when you're trying to fit the product to your boat...you have to "make it fit"...it's not an out of the box dead on fit...the t-tops are worse than the archs they sell...i seen a hard top that came from atlantic,it was the absolute worst looking hunk of crap i've ever seen...there's a huge difference in a product froma custom shop and atlantic towers...personally,i reccomend bruce hopkin,white knuckle welding,609-861-3100

do a search of my posts,you will see a boat that had some fiberglass damage to it from installing a radar arch from atlantic on it...there's quite a few pictures in that thread too....