Radar help/input needed

teaklejr

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade our 2007 4ft Raymarine open array. Currently trying to decide on another open array vs. dome style. Obviously looks matter so the open array wins there but price wise, not so much. Use: 305 express spending weekends in Chesapeake bay. Some evening travel, some rainstorms, some fog. Not much fishing nor looking for birds. No open ocean. I have read the dome would be the better option for our use. Does that mean the open array is the inferior choice for our uses or just overkill?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Just costly overkill.
You would do fine with an 18" dome. 24" dome will give better resolution of targets that are close together.

The big questions are;

Is your old one connected to a multifunction display or just a dedicated radar display?

What brand of display/chartplotter do you have?

Will the latest radar(doppler) in that brand lose functions on it or even work at all?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have the 24 Raydome and like it for recreational use. It's on a 30 Marlin. I like that it is easy to clean in the spring and moving parts are inside the unit as well. I'd weigh function, practicality and cost over what looked better but that is just me. I think a 24 dome is your best bet.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Agree with Fish & Skunk.

My selling dealer talked me out of an open array for similar reasons. We don't fish and just cruise around staying overnights at marinas.

My 24" Garmin Dome on our Marlin 300 serves us well. No need for anything more elaborate.

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
For your desired use, I vote for the dome. (....and this comes from an open array owner :cool:). Congratulations on being a "sensible" boat owner!