Rain or Leak on Marlin

hinmo

Reaction score
Wild storm at the mooring here in SE Ma. last night. 5-6 ft chop and rollers with downpour rain.

Noticed several gallons (?) of water pumped out of the fwd bilge when I got out there today (fwd bilge float not working, operated the manual sw). Wondering if I have a thru-hull leak or the rain got in thru various spots....particularly the anchor locker.

Also, does anyone know if the motor well on a 1999 Marlin leads to a separate bilge or the main? Access hatches were on, but I am sure she had trouble draining with the new Zukes on the transom\ (weight).

thanks

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You're in salt water - answering the question of whether the standing water is rain water or a raw water leak is very easy... I bet you know where I'm going with this...

Motor well... is the motor well too low to drain directly overboard? If so, are all of your bilges interconnected? I'm not sure on the Marlin, but on the Grady's I know about, they are connected... meaning, it doesn't really matter where it drains. But it would make the most "logical" sense to drain to aft portion, right?

hinmo

Reaction score
good point about the salt water.....I will check tonite.
Transom is high enough to drain with normal amount of spillage....but it was really rough and really pouring.

Thanks

jlflynn1

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 307
It appears that all my rain water on my 307 comes through my retractable bow cleats at my bow, which drains into my anchor locker, which drains into my bilge. I do not understand why Grady does not have a self bailing anchor locker. All the water sits in my forward bilge, but not enough to kick on the pump. Very annoying.

hinmo

Reaction score
Not the same model, but yes, it appears all water goes forward. I need a couple dry days to see if its a leak or rain (suspect its one or several thru-hull leaks). Pulling her out in a couple weeks for the season, hopefully can figure it out then...

Reactions: Scrumbag

jlflynn1

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 307
Not the same model, but yes, it appears all water goes forward. I need a couple dry days to see if its a leak or rain (suspect its one or several thru-hull leaks). Pulling her out in a couple weeks for the season, hopefully can figure it out then...

Now is the time to see if you have any thru hull leaks. I would manually pump out all the water. Get the bilge dry, wiping up excess water with rags and temporarily put some rags into the bulk head holes, so you isolate if the water is coming from the sea cocks or transducer or from rain water. Good luck.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If this ONLY happened after we got 6 inches of rain, I'd really suspect water coming in your anchor locker, windlass area etc. Water in the forward bilge after a big storm has been pretty common with most boats I've owned.

Fishtales

Reaction score
There could be a lot of ways for water to come in. Side windows, window itself or seal between frame and sidewall. Runs down walk area and in to the small drawer area on the step of maybe behind the frame if not sealed. Hardtop supports. Cup holders that drain into the bilge. Aft deck seal. Aft scuppers if drains are cracked or hose is leaking. Anchor locker or when anchor is retrieved. Leaking freshwater faucets. Leaking aft sprayer (sometimes this can even pop off). Prob need to do some investigating.

hinmo

Reaction score
thx for the replies - rained hard today, will head out tomorrow. I'm sure, one way or another there will be water.

Any definitive way to work this once she is out of the water on stands? Fill bilge with water and check underneath her for leaks?

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have had water in my forward bildge after lots of rain. I find it happens more often when I don’t close my drop curtains. Could also use some new caulk around the anchor locker. Like you my float switch doesn’t work(still trying to figure that out) but the manual switch works.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the float switch does not work check the circuit breaker above you battery selector switches. That was the problem I had with the forward bilge float switch.

Another possible water entrance could be from the transom access hatches. The one on my port side did not have a seal and we got a bunch of water in the boat bilges on a rough day.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You can get screw in deckplates from Beckson Marine. I have no Idea why GW uses the pop-in deck plates on the eurotransom. If one ever popped out in rough seas and was lost, you'd better think fast and take one from an inside deckplate and get in in. There was a sinking a few years back (not a GW) where it was theorized that a pop out cover was lost and by the time the crew figured it out, the boat went down.

Ozz043

Reaction score
I have a 99, the bilges are connected and the water drains forward naturally with the weight of the original engines. I have been chasing rain water leaks for some time and it is very frustrating....I only get a fraction of what you’re describing..... look everywhere because small leaks in multiple points leads to lots of water.

Unfortunately the best way to find out is to be on the boat when it’s raining, so you can see the drips.... grab a good torch then starting at the bow check the anchor/bow sprit bolts and lid. Feel the carpet lining for dampness in the cabin, look at the seals of the hatch, check the window seals in the cabin and head. I don’t have a generator so I can get in the bilge....very squezzy.....check the bulkhead and inside of transom for water running down, check the livewell is sealed properly (water drips onto oil reservoirs) and the drain hose is working draining water out to engine well. Check the drink holders are drained to deck and freshwater shower rubber cap is sealing. Check the ladder bolts aren’t dripping and lastly unscrew inspection lids and see if they are leaking onto the fuel tanks....

No doubt I have forgotten something.....most important check the floats and bilge pumps work, batteries are charged otherwise you could be in trouble.

hinmo

Reaction score
Checked her today after a couple day dry spell...NO WATER !
I am happy, so it must be rain or when we wash the boat at the dock.
I can sleep tonite!

Thanks for all the suggestions

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have noticed that my 04 Marlin gets rain water from the Genny access panel. I believe they updated this (I am sure you guys can tell me when) in later years, however mine has a gasket and screws.... Seems to leak water around that gasket since there are no screws in the deck panel for easy removal... I am going to fix it somehow in the future, maybe some glass work and the new panel....