Rain Water entering bilge

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Rain Water enters my bilge while in exposed dry rack storage. How do I know this? Be cause the stern bilge pump kicks on when the boat is lifted up and tilded back with the Fork Lift. And we have been getting a lot of rain on the Georgia Coast! I suspect the anchor locker, the rear seats on each side giving access to batteries and the cup holders next to live well. Any Others? What is the cure? TIA....Thanks In Advance

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Check all your deck plates, I replaced mine with spin offs - lots of folk seem to be doing the same here. Also, I was getting water thru the rear thru hull inside the boat, I needed to rebed the fitting.

seasick

Reaction score
Does it pump every time the boat is racked and if so how long between loading and unloading.
Are you sure it's rain water?
What is the hull model.
Many Gradys get water in the forward bilge area and at normal operating keel angles, it doesn't drain aft. You don't know about it until you launch on a ramp for example or otherwise tilt the keel to a steeper angle than the boat normally trims at.
On my 20 foot hull, this happens every year when the boat is hauled and/or launched. Most of the water I suspect gets in from the anchor locker, either directly from rain or deck washing and some just drains out of wet anchor line.

Rain water can get in through the anchor locker lid, deck plates, leaky fittings and even cup holders in some cases. Using a decent fitting boat cover will greatly reduce rain water getting in but won't help if the water is from wet anchor line.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a custom Sunbrella cover, and still a substantial amount of water finds its way, at times, into the bilge. It's getting in there while the boat is on the trailer, because if I pull the drain plug immediately after I pull up the launch ramp, very little water comes out.

I think(??) I know how it gets in there. Some comes from around the anchor locker, as well as the cupholders in the bow. I think the majority of water gets in from around the rear jump seats. Even though the cover runs to the gunwale (and has snaps), if I remove the jump seats, there is almost always water there after a rain storm. The only thing I can think of is that, with the bow high on the trailer, rain water is running down the gunwales (under or inside the cover area) and then into the boat when it reaches the stern.

I need to get under the cover, and have someone else run the hose on the front of the boat, to confirm that's what is happening. But both of my 225s have done this.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Rub rail is another spot. It can come in through the mounting screws if they are not sealed.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Flush/pull-up cleats, anchor locker, possibly rodholders and cupholders, seals on deck lids and popout lids, windows (anything with screw holes), zippers on enclosure, seeping thru enclosure fabric, seal of deck drains

Make sure its not from hosing down the boat and spraying the flush cleats and anchor locker

Fishtales

Reaction score
Do a search on this topic, there are a few threads that detail all possible ways water can get in.

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think the rainwater is getting into my bilge from two sources. The cupholders on the live well at the transom are probably the main culprit. That's like having a three inch hole in the deck, times two! Also the seats located at the transom are designed for water to run off onto the deck. But that works only if the bow is tilted down The water maybe accumulating in the runoff groove under the plywood cover. I eliminated the anchor locker by placing a rug over it to direct the water away from it. Still got a ton of water in the bilge so it must be the cupholders and the seats. Stay tuned. Rain expected next week!

seasick

Reaction score
If any water pools on the custom cover, it will most likely find a way to drain onto the deck. One point that I am not sure about is if the bilge gets water when the cover is not on.
I expect it would. The scenario you describe is typical for water that gets trapped in the forward bilge area and normally doesn't drain aft. More often then not, water gets in via the anchor locker lid and windlass rope hole OR if you use your anchor drains off of the wet anchor line when stowed in the locker.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Cup holders, anchor locker and head floor drains are the biggies as they drain straight into the bilge or the latter can overflow into it. Any area where fasteners are used as well as deck seams should be checked as well. Depending how she sits in the water, bilge water can settle in the middle of the hull during use and then be evacuated when lifted as water shifts where the pumps are. The only time I'd be concerned is if the water is excessive or at the end of the season. Ensure the hull drains aft and water can come out the garboard plug at the end of the season - especially in areas where freeze conditions are possible.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I also get a bit of rain water and likely washdown water in my bilge. It likely getting by the deck plate o-rings, anchor locker lid, and cup holders. I don't think alot about it. Its a boat and some water will get in. Prior to taking the boat off the dock, I will activate the front pump to insure the bilge is empty and then enjoy my ride on the water.